Confirmed with Link: Habs re-sign Andrighetto to 1 year deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Thats the question. Why is Hudon getting passed over by other players on the depth chart. JDR doesn't score as much, McCarron in his 1st year as a pro yet they got more opportunities.

I hope whatever the issue is MB/MT told Hudon about it and he has worked on it during the summer.

He told himself in an interview what was wrong with his game, he admitted he played a style where he cheated to produce, they want him to be more complete ala Plekanec. I see him going the same road and having an excellent NHL career as a second line center or winger.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
First, it's not even about that!!!! I,m not stating that Hudon will end up a hall of famer or that he will eventually be better tahn whoever. I'm stating that in a loss season and with the stats he has given to the farm team, he deserved a shot longer than the 2 games.

Well MB/MT don't think he deserves a longer shot and other players did. They could be wrong on their judgement but I will defer to them since they have better access to the player. After his 2 games they felt they saw enough and gave oppurtunity to other players. That says a lot about Hudon's game in the NHL especially since he is doing very well in the AHL. No debate on Hudon being a hall of famer or even a good or bad NHLer, just that this year when there were chances other players passed him by. Even though all these players are on the same team they are really competing with each other for NHL jobs. Hudon lost that competition last year.

Yes, there is a reason. Speed and size. So they wanted to see players that has all that ahead of him. What also helps them is that Hudon isn't waiver material this year so they didn't really have to evaluate him that much to be sure what to do with him in this upcoming year. But again, it's not about that. It's about given something to a kid who has done enough in his first pro years to say that you acknowledge it and want him to see what he has to improve by playing in this league.

I think Hudon himself said he was not strong enough someone could correct me on that if I am wrong. If he is missing those elements than giving him more chances at the NHL level when he clearly can't compete there is not wise especially when you have other young players that have those attributes. It's not like we have 2 propsects Hudon and McCarron and McCarron was chosen over Hudon. He lost out to 4 or 5 other prospects. He has proven he can play in the AHL but to managment he has not shown he can translate that to the NHL and there is more to the game then getting 2 pts in 2 games. Hossa scored like 8 pts in 8 games or something one time and the guy never made it to the league after that. And I don't think any young player should be "given" something aside from a cup of coffee in the NHL. He got his game or 2 and didn't impress enough. Other players took the ball and ran with it while to management Hudon didn't.

WE will see soon if they have already given up on him. But by the way, if they did, if they do possess all those special infos you are talking about, if he doesn't have the size, nor the speed, and they know he won't make it....shouldn't they ALREADY contemplace the idea to implicate him in a deal, using his farm stats on top of it? Or will they prefer letting him rot without calling him back a few more years in the AHL till he has no more value?

I don't think MT/MB have given up on Hudon at all. As you said he is still waiver eligible. He may be trade bait but he has just as much chance this upcoming year to impress and get a shot at the big club. All that happened last year is he lost to other players and slid down the depth chart. No MT/MB conspiracy. Other players leaped over. Great thing is its a new year and if he worked hard in the summer he has the chance to get back to the top of the depth chart.

Is it better to throw him in the NHL let him get exposed and completely destroy his value? To prove what? MT/MB didn't like his game and want him to work on things which he can do in the AHL and the offseason. Hudon has shown improvement every year no reason to believe he doesn't have the desire and work ethic to do what is necessary.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He told himself in an interview what was wrong with his game, he admitted he played a style where he cheated to produce, they want him to be more complete ala Plekanec. I see him going the same road and having an excellent NHL career as a second line center or winger.

Makes sense to me. He didn't play the right way at the NHL level and MT/MB didn't like what they saw. Other young players did better and he slid down the depth chart.

If he learns from his errors and works hard like you said he can make the transition. I think Hudon has the talent, drive, and work ethic so its just about putting it all together.

Or maybe like some think that at 21 your NHL career is over amrite? lol :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Is it better to throw him in the NHL let him get exposed and completely destroy his value? To prove what? MT/MB didn't like his game and want him to work on things which he can do in the AHL and the offseason. Hudon has shown improvement every year no reason to believe he doesn't have the desire and work ethic to do what is necessary.

We'll see what they think of him in preseason. Anyway, back to Ghetto, not sure how some people can say it's a bad deal.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
We'll see what they think of him in preseason. Anyway, back to Ghetto, not sure how some people can say it's a bad deal.

I agree. I am rooting for him he can be our little success story. Would be another feather in the cap for MB from his draft.

Ghetto is a great deal and if scores 20 or so it will be even better.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Well MB/MT don't think he deserves a longer shot and other players did. They could be wrong on their judgement but I will defer to them since they have better access to the player. After his 2 games they felt they saw enough and gave oppurtunity to other players. That says a lot about Hudon's game in the NHL especially since he is doing very well in the AHL. No debate on Hudon being a hall of famer or even a good or bad NHLer, just that this year when there were chances other players passed him by. Even though all these players are on the same team they are really competing with each other for NHL jobs. Hudon lost that competition last year.

I think Hudon himself said he was not strong enough someone could correct me on that if I am wrong. If he is missing those elements than giving him more chances at the NHL level when he clearly can't compete there is not wise especially when you have other young players that have those attributes. It's not like we have 2 propsects Hudon and McCarron and McCarron was chosen over Hudon. He lost out to 4 or 5 other prospects. He has proven he can play in the AHL but to managment he has not shown he can translate that to the NHL and there is more to the game then getting 2 pts in 2 games. Hossa scored like 8 pts in 8 games or something one time and the guy never made it to the league after that. And I don't think any young player should be "given" something aside from a cup of coffee in the NHL. He got his game or 2 and didn't impress enough. Other players took the ball and ran with it while to management Hudon didn't.

I don't think MT/MB have given up on Hudon at all. As you said he is still waiver eligible. He may be trade bait but he has just as much chance this upcoming year to impress and get a shot at the big club. All that happened last year is he lost to other players and slid down the depth chart. No MT/MB conspiracy. Other players leaped over. Great thing is its a new year and if he worked hard in the summer he has the chance to get back to the top of the depth chart.

I don't believe in all that anti-Hudon conspiracy. Guy has a teenage frame with lots of raw skills and a strong hockey IQ. They had OLDER guys with serious potential who deserved a look before Hudon BECAUSE they're older. They had bigger guys who they deemed more suited for bottom line duties, and I agree with this as Hudon had plenty of top line assignments and PP / PK duties in the AHL. Hudon is being introduced the right way, a 5'10'' that needed the extra muscles and to fix his 2-way game. A smallish player like that who makes Junior mistakes, who'd thunk he'd stay in the AHL for a few seasons.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He would not be the first young player we trade before giving him a real chance just to see him blossom elsewhere.

Have there been a lot of others? I mean, every team has some, but at least we haven't recently traded a Filip Forsberg, LOL.

The last decent player I can remember trading before he had a real chance, and who went on to blossom elsewhere is perhaps Grabovski. And I'm not sure I would call his Toronto years "blossoms".

Besides Tinordi whom it is too early to judge, is there any young player in the last eight years that we traded before giving him a chance and he blossomed elsewhere?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't believe in all that anti-Hudon conspiracy. Guy has a teenage frame with lots of raw skills and a strong hockey IQ. They had OLDER guys with serious potential who deserved a look before Hudon BECAUSE they're older. They had bigger guys who they deemed more suited for bottom line duties, and I agree with this as Hudon had plenty of top line assignments and PP / PK duties in the AHL. Hudon is being introduced the right way, a 5'10'' that needed the extra muscles and to fix his 2-way game. A smallish player like that who makes Junior mistakes, who'd thunk he'd stay in the AHL for a few seasons.

The guy is almost 200 pounds at 5'10". That's not what I'd call a teenage frame. To be honest that post is full of regurgitated clichés. Needs extra muscle, learn to play a 2-way game, smallish player, junior mistakes, yada yada yada...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Have there been a lot of others? I mean, every team has some, but at least we haven't recently traded a Filip Forsberg, LOL.

The last decent player I can remember trading before he had a real chance, and who went on to blossom elsewhere is perhaps Grabovski. And I'm not sure I would call his Toronto years "blossoms".

Besides Tinordi whom it is too early to judge, is there any young player in the last eight years that we traded before giving him a chance and he blossomed elsewhere?

Jiri Sekac will blossom in the KHL, which will be blamed on Therrien and not the three other coaches he played for in a Calendar year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Firstly - I've never argued cap hits don't matter

Secondly - Sven Andrighetto's contract was pretty much pre-determined, there was only a certain amount of money he could possibly sign for - this is as standard as it gets in terms of contracts

Haggling over 200K either way, seems bizarre to me...even more bizarre than the suggestion that 200K overpayment spread across 23 players creates a problem lol

I mean, the system (CBA) is created in a way for that to be impossible to ever happen, so this "sky is falling" scenario you've created is just a fantasy

Never said the sky is falling and zero clue what you're talking about with the bold part.

As for your never arguing about cap hits not mattering, I distinctly remember many arguments I've had with you, and you with others about the subject.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The guy is almost 200 pounds at 5'10". That's not what I'd call a teenage frame. To be honest that post is full of regurgitated clichés. Needs extra muscle, learn to play a 2-way game, smallish player, junior mistakes, yada yada yada...

Well he said himself he was not strong enough or fast enough. Was that his pre season weight or game weight. Players can lose a lot of weight during the season if they don't train and eat properly.

Lets look beyond the ice. Maybe his diet or fitness wasn't the right level. Maybe he didn't have the stamina for the game and he told the coach. Maybe he couldn't learn the system or adapt in practice. He didn't follow in the video room. There can be a lot more to being a professional then just skating up and down the ice and shooting the puck. We as fans aren't privy to that information. If the player is getting passed by he needs to work harder on his game. He is still young and has lots of time but the competition is only going to get more fierce for Hudon and he needs to seperate himself from the pack to MT and MB.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
... Separate himself from the pack..? Isn't that what he did with his stellar rookie pro season? And what he reaffirmed with his 32 goals pace as a sophomore?

Let's scratch this whole "maybe he's this or that" and stick with what we know. He's a young player and young players take time before they can establish themselves at the NHL level. Do I think he deserved an extended look with the Habs at some point this season given the circumstances? Yes, absolutely. Am I surprised he didn't get that ice time? No, absolutely not. Because there were older, more experienced players that were ready to make the jump in Carr and Andrighetto, and other players that fill specific roles unfit for Hudon were also given a chance.

This whole "this is Hudon's last chance" talk makes literally zero sense to me. I don't even understand where it's coming from.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well he said himself he was not strong enough or fast enough. Was that his pre season weight or game weight. Players can lose a lot of weight during the season if they don't train and eat properly.

Lets look beyond the ice. Maybe his diet or fitness wasn't the right level. Maybe he didn't have the stamina for the game and he told the coach. Maybe he couldn't learn the system or adapt in practice. He didn't follow in the video room. There can be a lot more to being a professional then just skating up and down the ice and shooting the puck. We as fans aren't privy to that information. If the player is getting passed by he needs to work harder on his game. He is still young and has lots of time but the competition is only going to get more fierce for Hudon and he needs to seperate himself from the pack to MT and MB.

Exactly, not "privy to that info", so maybe you shouldnt insist with this off the ice stuff.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
... Separate himself from the pack..? Isn't that what he did with his stellar rookie pro season? And what he reaffirmed with his 32 goals pace as a sophomore?

Let's scratch this whole "maybe he's this or that" and stick with what we know. He's a young player and young players take time before they can establish themselves at the NHL level. Do I think he deserved an extended look with the Habs at some point this season given the circumstances? Yes, absolutely. Am I surprised he didn't get that ice time? No, absolutely not. Because there were older, more experienced players that were ready to make the jump in Carr and Andrighetto, and other players that fill specific roles unfit for Hudon were also given a chance. .

I think we are saying the same thing in different words. Other players passed him on the depth chart due to circumstances. Hudon needs to continue to work on his game to push him self backup the depth chart. This conversation started because a poster attributed it to MT's incompetence. We seem to agree that it isn't about MT or MB but where Hudon stands in comparison to his peers within the organization.

.This whole "this is Hudon's last chance" talk makes literally zero sense to me. I don't even understand where it's coming from.

In no way do I think its Hudon's last chance. He is still very young. Not all 5th rounders are Gallagher. How many of them are contributing on an NHL team at 21. Hudon has lots of time. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see him playing in the NHL within the next year or two. Also wouldn't suprise me if he traded in a package for a good player because I think he has value.

Just to make clear all I think is Hudon is where he is now because of himself and not because he is being held back or stupidity on anyones part in the organization.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Exactly, not "privy to that info", so maybe you shouldnt insist with this off the ice stuff.

As usual you miss the whole post and only read what you want to read. I listed those things as discussion points so fans on here could discuss and speculate as that is the point of the board.

If you would like to discuss and speculate on the points I wrote above then engage in the conversation. If all you have is potshots then there is no need to reply.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Never said the sky is falling and zero clue what you're talking about with the bold part.

As for your never arguing about cap hits not mattering, I distinctly remember many arguments I've had with you, and you with others about the subject.

- You said when GM's overpay 1 player 200K, it can create a problem when you're overpaying 200K for every player on the team...the CBA isn't built in a way where this is even a possibility

Hence why I said this you've created a 'sky is falling' scenario.

- yeah I also recall discussing that with you - but you've whittled down my thoughts on cap hits to say "they don't matter" when I've never, ever argued that, it's just what you were able to grasp from what I said

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If you are going to be writing articles about this kind of thing, you should do a bit more research to make sure you are posting factual statements.

A player's waiver eligibility has nothing to do with his contract being one-way or two-way. A one-way contract means that Andrighetto's salary will be the same whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. A two-way contract has two different salaries, paid based on whether a player is in the NHL or AHL during the contract.

You are correct, I will talk to the writer.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As usual you miss the whole post and only read what you want to read. I listed those things as discussion points so fans on here could discuss and speculate as that is the point of the board.

If you would like to discuss and speculate on the points I wrote above then engage in the conversation. If all you have is potshots then there is no need to reply.

Actually, YOU are the one speculating, there's no conversation to be had, you're just insisting on talking about something nobody knows anything about...

but hey, since you insist...

playing losing weight during season ? sure, they pretty much all do.
the diet thing ? what do you know about his diet ?
his fitness ? sure what do you know about it ?
and his stamina level ? care to tell us us about his stamina level ?
told his coach ? told him what exactly do you know ? have sources ?
what part of the AHL system he can't learn ? I'll guess you don't know either
wich part of the system he could adapt to ? you don't know, same
video room ? how do you know he wasnt paying attention
as for him working harder ? how hard is he working care to tell us ?

awnser to ALL these questions ? you.do.not.know. and I.do.not.know.either. and same.for.pretty.much.everybody.here

so yeah sure... what is it that you wanted to talk about ?

here's an idea...
how about we buildup a scenario where Hudon is the bad boy not doing his "homework", not training well, not doing what he's being told... and in that scenario we'll assume that MT/MB are doing the right thing, like it's them, it HAS to be the right thing... oh! and in that scenario of ours, we'll make sure to talk about things we have no clue about, none, and only that.

sounds good ?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Let's scratch this whole "maybe he's this or that" and stick with what we know. He's a young player and young players take time before they can establish themselves at the NHL level. Do I think he deserved an extended look with the Habs at some point this season given the circumstances? Yes, absolutely. Am I surprised he didn't get that ice time? No, absolutely not. Because there were older, more experienced players that were ready to make the jump in Carr and Andrighetto, and other players that fill specific roles unfit for Hudon were also given a chance.

This whole "this is Hudon's last chance" talk makes literally zero sense to me. I don't even understand where it's coming from.

I agree...
He has shown the best offensive flair of any of our prospects in the AHL and we can't dispute that.
The Brass may want and expect him to become a top 6 main stay in the not to distant future.
It remains to be seen how patient they can afford to be with him.

Last edited:

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Probably MB's only top 6 acquisition, though.

MB - the master of signing 4th line wingers.

We got our top 6 forward.

This falls into the category of "who gives a ****"??

Bergevin is mediocre as usual

We have our top six, boyeeees!

This is awesome guys. Completely original and funny every time we read this. Keep a copy of those comments handy for when MB goes out and re-signs Carr, then you can complain all over again that it's his only "Top 6 acquisition" and how he's signing another useless 4th liner. Good work. :shakehead

How anyone can be mad or upset at this signing is beyond me. Young guy who was a 3rd round pick and came out of nowhere, shows some promise in his first real opportunity on the team, showed some offense, didn't look out of place when playing with AG and Max, signed for LESS THAN his qualifying offer and only about $75,000 more than the bloody league minimum. What did you want Marc to do with this, just let the guy walk because his last name doesn't rhyme with Rock-pose-oh? Did you expect him to have signed a bona fide Top 6 forward three weeks before the UFA season even starts? Did you expect him to trade for a Top 6 forward while the playoffs are still going on?

Any chance to bash MB, I guess. Well done.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

It makes no sense to talk about that stuff. No sense whatsoever. 'Cause then, you will NEVER bash a player, or coach or a GM for anything ever. Maybe that's you though, you probalby never bash anybody no matter if you like or dislike a guy...but if you keep bringing outside infos on something you don't know about, close the board. 'CAuse there,s probably outside reasons for every single decision that is being taken. And it makes no sense to try to know what's going on......we have to analyse what we see.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And you're doing so much better by bashing people you don't agree with. Good job.

He's not bashing!!!.....how you get to that conclusion?

The other posters are ridiculing Bergevin, assuming that Andrighetto will be his only top 6 aquisition, but they do it with sarcasm. We're not even at the draft, let alone UFA day yet some posters here are bashing Bergevin because we hasn't aquired a big time player....in what universe does this carry any weight?....

The other poster is just merely stating the obvious.......it's like complaining about next weeks weather today.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree...
He has shown the best offensive flair of any of our prospects in the AHL and we can't dispute that.
The Brass may want and expect him to become a top 6 main stay in the not to distant future.
It remains to be seen how patient they can afford to be with him.

Hudon has two more training camps before being subjected to waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad