Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The Charoit we saw in the playoffs is a much better player than the one that struggled in Winnipeg. He figured out how to be hard nosed without having to take penalties to do it. Personally thought he played a big part of getting the Habs to the finals.

If someone is looking for a 2LD for the playoffs than he'll fetch a 1st.

Not really TBH, he’s the same as he was on the Jets. He needs a very dominant partner to be paired with or he looks like what he is a #5D. Chariot can never carry a pairing outside bottom pairing, we know Chariot well and tried him in all sorts of combos….he needs a strong partner like Weber or Buff, failing that he will be bad in any top 4 role. We can agree to disagree.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not really TBH, he’s the same as he was on the Jets. He needs a very dominant partner to be paired with or he looks like what he is a #5D. Chariot can never carry a pairing outside bottom pairing, we know Chariot well and tried him in all sorts of combos….he needs a strong partner like Weber or Buff, failing that he will be bad in any top 4 role. We can agree to disagree.
He's shown to complement well a strong D partner, I think that's what most contender will be looking for since they most likely already have at least 2 strong defender if not 3 (otherwise they wouldn't be contenders). If Chiarot was more then that, he'd be worth more then a late first or second +.
I think the closest comparables we have in recent history are Savard (I think the Bolts overpaid a little for retention and they knew their first would be 28+) and Dillon 2 x 2nd.
People thinking he doesn't return anything more then a 4th are just ignoring the facts.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Ben Chiarot played 25+ minutes a night on a run to the cup finals but he's a bottom pairing dman?

That playoff performance alone will make him worth quite a bit. But ya know he's a number 5 according to HF.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
All the non-Habs fans in this thread are correct to point out the guy sucks, he's a #5 that had a couple good weeks but was largely carried by Weber.

That being said, we're also not very far removed from David Savard going for a 1st, or Douglas Murray going for two 2nds, so I don't think it's hard to imagine a GM buying in on the whole 25 minute gritty playoff warrior schtick here.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think you're misunderstanding what the market is for defencemen because top pairing d men aren't shipped for first round picks.
You don’t seem to understand facts. Top Pairing DMen aren’t traded unless they carry significant baggage.

Chiarot isn’t a Top Pairing DMan on any (but one) team in the entire NHL.

Before the season I thought Mtl had the worst C depth in the League among teams with aspirations of contending. The early season returns indicate I was wrong, it’s actually the Canadiens D depth that is likely League Worst. The only baggage Chiarot is carrying are the Habs.

Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan.

Chiarot is not worth a 1st.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You don’t seem to understand facts. Top Pairing DMen aren’t traded unless they carry significant baggage.

Chiarot isn’t a Top Pairing DMan on any (but one) team in the entire NHL.

Before the season I thought Mtl had the worst C depth in the League among teams with aspirations of contending. The early season returns indicate I was wrong, it’s actually the Canadiens D depth that is likely League Worst. The only baggage Chiarot is carrying are the Habs.

Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan.

Chiarot is not worth a 1st.

This is a bit exhausting Stephen as I've had to repeat it three times - what you're saying is not relevant in that first round picks have been given out for defencemen that are not top pairing defencemen. You're by yourself here.

Reactions: Kosseca

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is a bit exhausting Stephen as I've had to repeat it three times - what you're saying is not relevant in that first round picks have been given out for defencemen that are not top pairing defencemen. You're by yourself here.
Sure. How is any of that relevant to Chiarot or This Thread? Chiarot ISN’T worth a 1st AND ISN’T a Top Pairing DMan, no matter what path we take to get there nor how tired you’ve made yourself making arguments that are irrelevant to the Thread Topic and Content.

Let’s try a new exercise. Name a DMan recently traded for a 1st or the equivalent that is a Comp for Chiarot.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
really entertaining thread :popcorn:

i never imagined, you can write his name in so many different ways. i stopped reading the full messages. just looked for the next variant of his name.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Savard and Foligno got 1sts last year. Chiarot is great in the playoffs and if the Habs retain 50%, I do think a top team wouldn't mind giving up a 1st. I think he would be a great fit on the Oilers.

Every year the trade deadline is vastly different . You can't really compare last years trades to this years especially when it is months away . Teams could have a D prospect take 2 steps forward before we get to the trade deadline . Got to see teams needs at that time and price him accordingly . If there 10 teams after him price will go up .

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sure. How is any of that relevant to Chiarot or This Thread? Chiarot ISN’T worth a 1st AND ISN’T a Top Pairing DMan, no matter what path we take to get there nor how tired you’ve made yourself making arguments that are irrelevant to the Thread Topic and Content.

Let’s try a new exercise. Name a DMan recently traded for a 1st or the equivalent that is a Comp for Chiarot.

You're point is about Chiarot not being a top airing defencemen - who the f*** cares? Top pairing D men, as if the question was whether Chiarot is one, have gotten much larger packages than a first rounder. Look at Seth Jones or Ekman-Larsson. Those weren't "first round pick" trades. Even Rasmus Ristolainen got a first, 2nd and a prospect.

Dillon received a 2nd and third, Scandella got a second and fourth, Martinez got two seconds, Leddy got a 2nd and a player, Graves got a second and a player, Devon Toews got 2 2nd round picks.

Savard ultimately got a first and third, Skej got a first.

I'm not sure that you've taken into account the obvious difference between a top pairing d man and the value that good defencement get.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I'm not sure he gets a 1st either, but lets be real and admit he's a great piece for a team looking to make a deep playoff run.

His game is all about the playoffs. Easy way to instantly make your team tougher to play against.

He played more minutes than any other Montreal skater over the entire run to the finals last year. Just for that experience alone he will have value.

Still, he's not a flashy or well known name and a 2nd+ is more likely.

And he was gassed and exposed by the Finals. He’s a 4-6 defender but don’t let his size and the playoff shine from last year overvalue him.

As others have said, Giordano and Lindholm will be the sought after prizes. Expect a 2nd for Ben, maybe.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You're point is about Chiarot not being a top airing defencemen - who the f*** cares? Top pairing D men, as if the question was whether Chiarot is one, have gotten much larger packages than a first rounder. Look at Seth Jones or Ekman-Larsson. Those weren't "first round pick" trades. Even Rasmus Ristolainen got a first, 2nd and a prospect.

Dillon received a 2nd and third, Scandella got a second and fourth, Martinez got two seconds, Leddy got a 2nd and a player, Graves got a second and a player, Devon Toews got 2 2nd round picks.

Savard ultimately got a first and third, Skej got a first.

I'm not sure that you've taken into account the obvious difference between a top pairing d man and the value that good defencement get.
Perhaps I’m unconvinced Chiarot is even a “good defencement.”

Honestly, in an unbiased conversation, literally every single DMan you listed is nearly unquestionably better than Ben Chiarot.

Reactions: Cypruss

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Every year the trade deadline is vastly different . You can't really compare last years trades to this years especially when it is months away . Teams could have a D prospect take 2 steps forward before we get to the trade deadline . Got to see teams needs at that time and price him accordingly . If there 10 teams after him price will go up .
Chiarot has been awesome in the playoffs for us and teams love this type of player. Habs will retain 50% too making him very attractive. The defense market is pricey right now.

Reactions: Vachon23

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Pretty sure we hsd the same thread less than 2 weeks ago. Again I'll say that he might fetch a 2nd in a bidding war. 1st would be in an extremely good market sellers but I don't see a team giving up their 1st for Chiarot. Not a knock on the guy as he played really really well on our run to the finals last year.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If we're in a playoff race come deadline I'd offer like Maatta and a 3rd.

Pretty sure he's a UFA.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Easy and simple for a 1st at the TDL ala savard a year ago. Chariot also only makes 3.5M so he’s going to be able to fit into a lot of teams salary structure and he’s a good fit as a physical shutdown d come playoff time.

do any of these teams do it to bolster the backend
NYI - I feel they need a better D then chara
Cgy
Wpg
Phi

was thinking a team that will finish between 20-32
Why would a team finishing somewhere between 20th-32nd pay a first for a supposedly decent playoff performer if they’re missing the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad