Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Kings who played back-to-back

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Is there still a doubt in anyone's mind that the main problem with this team is coaching?

... and management for that matter. Hiring a pee-wee coach. Literally. This is Rejean Houle kind of level. f***ing pathetic top to bottom. It's been 3 years now. Watch, they will have one decent run in about 4-5 years, then will fall apart again and the next thing you know another 10 years gone by and time for another rebuild. f***ing brutal.

I can't believe this org cannot f***ing hire competent management and coaches.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Agree with the second half of your post.
But in my opinion, going after a young depth dman who is the ONLY source of toughness and deterrence on the team is f***ing absurd.
If you don’t think he’s doing his job, look at the coach who it seems, plays mind games with him and is unwilling to live with his growing pains. It seems to be a problem for this coach to support a 6’4 240 lbs dman with one of the hardest shots in the league - on a BOTTOM five team in terms of size.
This is a kid who genuinely cares, unlike about 30% of the team it seems.
Amazing how he’s in so many trade rumours and how so many teams should love to have him.
But he’s the problem

I love Xhekaj, but tonight he wasn't hard to play against.

The way he can play when he's motivated is quite different than tonight. He strikes me as very unsure of himself, and it reminds me of his play last year before he got sent down.

He can't be timid. He needs to be that tough passionate player. He can't pick and choose games to do it in. That's how you become Josh Anderson.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yeah we needed a 1C that can consistently do the things Lane Hutson has been doing, which is be the best possession player night in night out.

With some luck maybe Ivan can be that guy.
Yeah, i haven’t thought about the option of Demi at center but he could. I think he stays on the wing though.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Agree with the second half of your post.
But in my opinion, going after a young depth dman who is the ONLY source of toughness and deterrence on the team is f***ing absurd.
If you don’t think he’s doing his job, look at the coach who it seems, plays mind games with him and is unwilling to live with his growing pains. It seems to be a problem for this coach to support a 6’4 240?lbs dman with one of the hardest shots in the league - on a BOTTOM five team in terms of size.
This is a kid who genuinely cares, unlike about 30% of the team it seems.
Amazing how he’s in so many trade rumours and how so many teams should love to have him.
But he’s the problem
Don’t see anyone calling him the problem.

If he wants to be a regular he needs to play A LOT better. Right now, if Math wasn’t hurt he should be in the press box.

Anyway, they have so many issues, he ain’t top of the list.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
You may not like the way he plays but he's not the reason we're losing games. Yes the team is still sotf but it would be a complete pushover without his presence.
I can see them letting Struble getta look. I was surprised he wasn’t played tonight. Strubble plays a tough game and is better defensively and better structurally in terms of team game. Give the Sherrif time to work on some refinements to his game, and get Struble some reps.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah we needed a 1C that can consistently do the things Lane Hutson has been doing, which is be the best possession player night in night out.

With some luck maybe Ivan can be that guy.
I find it odd to criticize the only player playing like a top 6 forward so far this season. Upgrading on Suzuki as the 1C is the least of our worries.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Caufield - Suzuki - Gallagher
Slafkovsky - Dach - Heineman
Newhook - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Anderson
Kapanen

Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Xhekaj
Struble - Savard
Why are you so mean?? lol.

That is so UGLY. Just plain nasty.

Rooting for the lottery ball after game 5 of the season is so sad.

NS should just get out now when he is young.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
To pick another Reinbacher?
To be eventually coached by St Louis...

Defensively, he sucks hard.
I can guarantee Jacque Lemaire would have him as a very steady D. St and his assistants gang has no clue what to do with any of their players. X is solid but because the entire team always runs in their own end like chickens with heads cut off, he, like everyone else, doesn't know what to do... everything about Habs play is reactive.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
One of the worst games I've seen in a while. This team is really struggling with the heavy forcheck that the Kings, Penguins, and Leafs brought. Until they prove they can counter that it's all they're gonna see.

Once we can show we can reverse that and send odd man rushes back to counter teams will have to adapt their style.

Right now it seems we can't dig the puck out quick enough and get the puck moving north fast enough. We get caught in board battles down low and we haven't won enough of them. The Kings were able to cycle well against numerous of our lines and one Arber Xhekaj.

Our passing has been God awful, we need to start connecting a couple tape to tape passes in a row, holy shit. There does seem to be very little cohesion right now but let's give it a bit of time because these guys aren't this bad.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Is there still a doubt in anyone's mind that the main problem with this team is coaching?

... and management for that matter. Hiring a pee-wee coach. Literally. This is Rejean Houle kind of level. f***ing pathetic top to bottom. It's been 3 years now. Watch, they will have one decent run in about 4-5 years, then will fall apart again and the next thing you know another 10 years gone by and time for another rebuild. f***ing brutal.

Perfectly stated.

Out coached every single night. Any decent nhl coach can teach guys how to play defensively but not this staff. Worst, most incompetent staff in the league, not even close. Three years of watching guys run around in their own end like chickens with their heads cut off. No structure at all.

Next up, Gordon Bombay and the Flying V.

IMG_2280.png

Reactions: The Real Timo

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Some people have been getting waaay too sentimental with MSL.

I will always be grateful for what he did for the team (specifically delivering us from hockey terrorist Dominique Ducharme) but I think we're at the point in the rebuild where we need to hire a more seasoned, experienced coach who can get wins and build a winning culture. It's time to move on just like it was time to move on from Gallagher in 2021. Hopefully he can be reassigned as an assistant or player development coach.

This team isn't even going to sniff .500 if changes aren't made. Don't get me wrong, we still have a long way to go to be a contender, but we shouldn't be THIS bad/disorganized either.

it's 5 games in...
Calgary is not a top team in the league, and the Avs aren't a bottom-feeding team.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
It just never made sense to hire St. Louis and not also hire a veteran coach with him. It’s ludicrous honestly. On top of that, Robidas had zero coaching experience too.
it was clear from the beginning that this was going to be another failed stupid experiment.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I didn't see the game, unfortunately had to work. But we have a 2nd line with Dach who isn't back, and Laine who isn't playing, and Joel replacing him. Does MSL have the horses?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I find it odd to criticize the only player playing like a top 6 forward so far this season. Upgrading on Suzuki as the 1C is the least of our worries.
Not a knock on Suzuki but more of an observation what an elite talent like Hutson can do, and wishing they had that upfront also.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I didn't see the game, unfortunately had to work. But we have a 2nd line with Dach who isn't back, and Laine who isn't playing, and Joel replacing him. Does MSL have the horses?
Fortunately.

And yes, MSL has horses not to suck that bad. HOwever, I would strongly recommend you watch the whole game and see for yourself ;)

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

You and I , others ... we've been saying it and getting trashed for it. MSL may be the only coach 'right now' but I feel the team would be much better with experience. Not our job to find it, this is a billion dollar franchise.. entrusted to coaching staff with no experience.

Last time we did this was Carbonneau? Ended after a bowling trip out in Colorado or something, right?

Reactions: The Real Timo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not a knock on Suzuki but more of an observation what an elite talent like Hutson can do, and wishing they had that upfront also.
I remember when the same was said about Canfield. Will need to see how Hutson performs for a couple seasons for me to label him as an elite player at his position. I’d much rather look for a massive upgrade at 2C or the wingers. Hell even the dmen outside of Hutson and Guhle aren’t exactly sure fire elite talents that make me look at upgrading on Suzuki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad