Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Boston

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki has drawn like 2-3 penalties , was the reason for the second goal . Perhaps not his best game , but he's not the reason why we lost
Brutal first but picked it up after that. Slaf is having a rough start 5v5 and really just the one cross ice pass on the PP.
Put him with Dach and no fire works there either.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
youngest team in the league and it shows.

putting up 4 on the back half of a b2b while playing like wet shit is one big positive, in addition to Hutson being a stud and guys like Gallagher and Anderson showing up.

every year people forgot how slow Suzuki starts and it seems like Slafkovsky is following his lead.

Primeau's biggest weakness is his mental game. same for Barron.
Matheson is paying like he knows he's about to get his lunch money stolen.

the Bruins are relentless - the Habs should aim to be as effective on forecheck. at least the team pushed back in the third.

long season ahead but everyone calling the Habs a bottom 5 team forgets how mediocre a third of the league is.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Just caught the highlights. Primeau, Savard, Matheson, Barron... don't look good on those, not at all. Boston didn't look good in terms of their marking and coverage either. Can't imagine they would accept giving away some of those goals.

Without having seen the actual game I can't add more but it felt like it was a sloppy match with little focus from the players.

One thought: there is a lot of talk about playing on the rush, etc. but too often we forget how much space there is in the zone and how set-plays and positions can impact things. In short: we need better defensive tactics, and less peewee style puck-watching/puck-chasing, and we've needed it for years.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Just caught the highlights. Primeau, Savard, Matheson, Barron... don't look good on those, not at all. Boston didn't look good in terms of their marking and coverage either. Can't imagine they would accept giving away some of those goals.

Without having seen the actual game I can't add more but it felt like it was a sloppy match with little focus from the players.

One thought: there is a lot of talk about playing on the rush, etc. but too often we forget how much space there is in the zone and how set-plays and positions can impact things. In short: we need better defensive tactics, and less peewee style puck-watching/puck-chasing, and we've needed it for years.

As I mentioned in another post, I think there is an issue in the three key tactical steps :
- defense : they are choosing an hybrid between man to man and zone defense. Man to man puts more pressure on the opponents but is more likely to open dangerous slots on the ice to your opponent vs zone defense where your key slots should be secured but it leads to more leeway to your opponents, i.e. less pressure on puck carrier. In this hybrid however, they play quite passive and leave key slots open for their opponents.
- transition game : forwards are proposing very little solution to Dmen and they tend to lose some pucks in the neutral zone dur to long stretch passes
- offense and possession game : not enough movement from the forwards in front and behind the net

Reactions: ReHabs

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
L'Aveuglette played on every line tonight

Matheson should've been f***ing traded, told you so, some of you dweebs deserve this
He’s a bargain but not used properly. Should play 18-20 mins a night because he’s not very smart but he does other things well. This team hasn’t had a clear #1 dman since Weber

Last edited:
Reactions: neopreneur

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Brutal first but picked it up after that. Slaf is having a rough start 5v5 and really just the one cross ice pass on the PP.
Put him with Dach and no fire works there either.
I remember last year, the moment his switched into a powerforward kind of player instead of fantazy skating player, he became really better. He was winning battle one vs one, strong in the corner, protect well the puck. Right now, he just want to make the most beautiful pass or the highlight reel of the week.

Reactions: lombrek

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hard to do much when half your d-core is trash and half the F core doesn't show up. G was an anchor too.
The difference between the Leaf game and last night's game was not the D-core or the F-core. The dif was the goaltending. If you think the defence and forwards were trash last night, what did you think they were against the Make-Believes?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The one that I'm worried about is Caufield... that 7.85 millions a year contract will look bad in 2 years. The guy is soft beyond belief... I feel like he's holding back Suzuki a lot with his poor 5 on 5 game. A complete liability at equal strength.
CC lost the agility/mobility and explosion he had. He looks like a ragdoll out there and it's very easy to take the puck from him because of it. Teams knows they just have to pressure him to get the puck at this point.

I still don't understand why we don't have more shots from our defense...this team is not in a position to afford to just make pretty goals...tap to tap goals....
The Dmen have shit accuracy. Most of them just hit shinpads long before the puck gets near the net.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The bad news: Panic in our zone kept us hemmed in. Passing and decision-making in both ends was shaky.

The good news: Experience solves panic.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I know what you're thinking!

GQh2s6BW8AAuM-i.jpg:large

He still hasn't gone down the yellow brick road...

Polish-20241011-071628612.jpg

Hutson was the best player.

This will become a recurring theme

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hutson looks like a potential # 1 pairing guy, and Guhle top 4. We're headed in the right direction. Hopefully a days rest and the legs are back for Saturday. Hutson is going to turn this team around, he's just so fun to watch.

Guhle has first pair potential. He's still very young and has all the tools. Just needs to stay healthy.

An OK loss , we played like crap but at least we scored 4

Against on the best defense in the league, which is encouraging even if lil Jeremy was rusty.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Experience as in a season or experience as in a decade?
Lol... yeah, I'm thinking of our young guys who are learning from month to month. Give Hutson and Guhle time; I'm hoping to see crisper zone-clearing and tape-to-tape passes in the o-zone.

I'm not expecting Matheson to reinvent himself, which would be fine if he wasn't pulling the most minutes of anyone.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Team needs to shoot more. So many times they looked for a pass first.
Have been saying this also...................crazy the aount of shots they don't take, to force a pass, and the offence dies at that time....
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..............says the best player the game has ever seen.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Expected loss... no panic here. And Suzuki has always been a slow starter. By the end of the year, he will be the habs best points producer with around 80 points... but will have like 2 points in his first 8 games, classic Suzuki.

Slaf also looks like a slow starter, but will finish in front of Caufield for points total. The one that I'm worried about is Caufield... that 7.85 millions a year contract will look bad in 2 years. The guy is soft beyond belief... I feel like he's holding back Suzuki a lot with his poor 5 on 5 game. A complete liability at equal strength.
Caufield like Kessel is there to use his shot to sore 35G+…. that’s it, there’s nothing else to his game but this team needs his strength.

Need to manage expectations, players can’t be something they’re not. As for $7.85M that’s the going rate for a 30G+ scorer in a $100M cap ceiling world

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Expected loss... no panic here. And Suzuki has always been a slow starter. By the end of the year, he will be the habs best points producer with around 80 points... but will have like 2 points in his first 8 games, classic Suzuki.

Slaf also looks like a slow starter, but will finish in front of Caufield for points total. The one that I'm worried about is Caufield... that 7.85 millions a year contract will look bad in 2 years. The guy is soft beyond belief... I feel like he's holding back Suzuki a lot with his poor 5 on 5 game. A complete liability at equal strength.
Caufield is and will always be a finisher. He’s doing what he is in the first two games by scoring two goals. To expect him to be a physical presence is being unrealistic.

I’d be far more concerned by what you term Slafkovsky’s slow start. In the preseason and for much of the first few games Slafkovsky has looked slow on the rush and ineffective on the boards. And for those who question MSL’s coaching acumen and particularly his supposed inability to make in game adjustments his decision to drop Slafkovsky to the second line for the third period, sparked both Slafkovsky’s level of play and both of the team’s top two lines.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Have been saying this also...................crazy the aount of shots they don't take, to force a pass, and the offence dies at that time....
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..............says the best player the game has ever seen.
I saw a lot of inaccurate passing in the offensive zone. Our players were moving well and positioned for a shot, but the pass arrived two feet to their left or right. Instead of a tic-tac-toe play, they had to settle the puck. During those lost seconds, the Bruins regained position and forced us to retreat.

By contrast, look at the Bruins in our zone. Quicker puck movement and longer possession, thanks to tape-to-tape passing.

Caufield's first goal against Toronto was an example of how good we look when passing is crisp and accurate. Hopefully, that becomes commonplace for our guys as they gain experience.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The difference between the Leaf game and last night's game was not the D-core or the F-core. The dif was the goaltending. If you think the defence and forwards were trash last night, what did you think they were against the Make-Believes?
Monty should have played...............after a SO and playing so well the night before.
Sending Primeau into Boston and a home opener, not smart.

Please don't give me the b2b nonsense. It's the beginning of the season for gods sake.

As for the rest........there were some positives. Scored 4 goals, Guhlie was a +3 on a team who gave up 6 goals.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's nothing to overreact to here.. the pre-season left us with a situation where there weren't enough repetitions and we are seeing execution errors that will get solved, as we've seen them execute these plays before.

The first line just looks out of sync and not practiced at game speed.
We knew it'd be difficult for Dach on a back to back after not playing for a calendar year.

We've got to make sure we get pucks out when we have the chance to do so and if we got average goaltending from Primeau, we probably get a point out of that game. We still put up 4 goals on a Bruins team that was looking to bounce back from a loss to the Panthers on their opening night.

The biggest negative is Primeau isn't very good and his glove hand is a liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad