Proposal: Habs Garbage Truck is coming to town to help your team with its cap hit

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think that will be the case this year. I could see a scenario where they act as a facilitator at the deadline, but they're not using cap space for the next two years to help others.

Why?

1. Dvorak, Armia, and Savard are notable pending UFAs.
2. They have their own bad contracts in Anderson and Gallagher.
3. They don't need to take contracts and picks for future considerations. They have 9 picks in the first four rounds in 2025. They're busting at the seams with quality prospects that can't all make it within the organization. Those picks may be used to move up, or they may be packaged with existing assets for a quality player that can really augment the lineup.
4. They are aiming for enough improvement this year that, combined with the growth of their core group, they become of interest to UFAs in 2025.

This was a move to make 2 years ago.
The habs are looking at tryng to turn the corner. They are not planning on being a bottom 3 club into 25/26 season to land McKenna. Not with this regime that would be like 4 years at the helm at the conclustion of 25/26 season.

They are not a PO team in 24/25 as their main goal has to be to develop their young blueliners whom they have a surplus of and need to figure out which ones will stick with them long term.

This regime took over for the 2022 draft. Had an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
2023 - Used one of their extra 2nds and their own to land Newhook
2024 - Had an extra first and used a 2nd to trade up to a higher spot. Had an extra 3rd.
2025 - Had extra picks already

No need to pick up players who can't help the turnaround or development of younger players at this point in time.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Yeah I think it's time for the Habs to start exiting the rebuild. If a great deal comes along for taking a short term dump, then take it, they are still in the position to do so. If not save the cap space to look for good players that pop free for deals midseason. Then facilitate at the trade deadline with what's left.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It looks like we can probably take on a cap dump of 3-4 M at most. It seems clear the FO prefers to avoid using LTIR this year since we have so young players on ELCs and that could mean a huge bonus overage for next season if we go into LTIR. The FO clearly wants the books as clean as possible for the summer of 2025.

So the plan will probably be to keep 3-4 M of legit cap space so all of ELC bonuses are paid on this year's cap.

He has two years left with a big ass contract, a 5th ain't cutting it

Kevin Hayes
Pittsburgh 2025 2nd

for

Future Considerations
We already own PIT's 2nd in 2025 courtesy of our participation in the Karlsson trade last August, heh.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He has a full NMC till March 1st. He's apparently not willing to waive. He's also likely to start the season on LTIR.

I'm fairly certain if the Oilers move an asset to move a player it's going to be Ceci.
In watching a lot of the Oilers the past few months… the Oilers players that most impressed me or at least exceeded my expectations were. Foegele (so fast and excellent forechecker), Janmark, Ceci, McLeod, Brown and Broberg.

Ceci is underrated imo. He has this reputation for being a bad contract or terrible, but that seems unfair.

Hyman also quite impressive.

Unimpressive. Nurse, but that’s been done to death, RNH, Kane.

With Drai, I noticed the same problem I notice with Avs star players, they run out of gas in the playoffs due to all the overuse in the regular season.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He's a perfectly fine bottom pairing guy and a great locker room guy, apparently talked up Nashville to Stamkos, but with us being over the cap I'd rather lose him than a Fabbro.

I would have rather done Schenn for a 7th than sign Haakanpa

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Wait what? Schenn? What happened with him? Pretty sure the Leafs would take him back lol
He's an ok bottom pairing guy and great vet prescence. We're over the cap and if I had to choose I'd rather lose him than Fabbro, etc. I don't think that's how Brunette sees it though.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He's an ok bottom pairing guy and great vet prescence. We're over the cap and if I had to choose I'd rather lose him than Fabbro, etc. I don't think that's how Brunette sees it though.

Seeing how Hakanpaa may not pass his physical, I’d love Schenn back. Maybe for a mid round pick? Leafs can then trade Jarnkrok for a mid round pick back.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah I think it's time for the Habs to start exiting the rebuild. If a great deal comes along for taking a short term dump, then take it, they are still in the position to do so. If not save the cap space to look for good players that pop free for deals midseason. Then facilitate at the trade deadline with what's left.
Its literally been 3 drafts since Hughes took over. What do you mean exit the rebuild???? people really forget that the Habs haven't even been in a rebuild that long compared to other rebuilds.

Reactions: Domenic

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Sheary+ for Evans?
Would need to be a 1st pick or a prospect worth a 1st pick

1- Evans is part of our Core as our 4th C, we value him about a 2nd pick
2- we are taking a player that would prob be waived as we def don't need him, for 2 years as well.

So considering we value Evans at about a 2nd rder. We need.something better than a 2nd rder to consider this deal

Reactions: zeeto and viceroy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I dont think Montreal is taking on any bad contract right now, unless it's for 1 year maybe.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
In watching a lot of the Oilers the past few months… the Oilers players that most impressed me or at least exceeded my expectations were. Foegele (so fast and excellent forechecker), Janmark, Ceci, McLeod, Brown and Broberg.

Ceci is underrated imo. He has this reputation for being a bad contract or terrible, but that seems unfair.

Hyman also quite impressive.

Unimpressive. Nurse, but that’s been done to death, RNH, Kane.

With Drai, I noticed the same problem I notice with Avs star players, they run out of gas in the playoffs due to all the overuse in the regular season.
Ceci stumbled at times this last playoffs but he's way outplayed his contract every year with the Oilers. It's frustrating to see so many people shitting on the guy.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Its literally been 3 drafts since Hughes took over. What do you mean exit the rebuild???? people really forget that the Habs haven't even been in a rebuild that long compared to other rebuilds.
Slow exit* not saying be a playoff team. It takes a while to work your way out.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
While Vancouver is under the cap, it would be worthwhile for them to send Poolman and his 1 year, 2.5m LTIR salary somewhere else to accrue more cap space. If done now, it leaves ~3m open on opening night and if no salary taken on during the season, 11 million at the deadline.

4th + Poolman, if Montreal is into LTIR already?

Ad

Ad

Ad