Proposal: Habs Garbage Truck is coming to town to help your team with its cap hit

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
The habs are looking at tryng to turn the corner. They are not planning on being a bottom 3 club into 25/26 season to land McKenna. Not with this regime that would be like 4 years at the helm at the conclustion of 25/26 season.

They are not a PO team in 24/25 as their main goal has to be to develop their young blueliners whom they have a surplus of and need to figure out which ones will stick with them long term.

This regime took over for the 2022 draft. Had an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
2023 - Used one of their extra 2nds and their own to land Newhook
2024 - Had an extra first and used a 2nd to trade up to a higher spot. Had an extra 3rd.
2025 - Had extra picks already

No need to pick up players who can't help the turnaround or development of younger players at this point in time.
I think they are past the stage of filling the holes in the lineup with other team's garbage for picks. That is a move for ones just starting the rebuild/retool that traded away draft capital.
If there are spots to fill, I prefer grabbing some young players with upside, off waivers prior to the season as Montreal is #5 in priority for waiver claims.
The cap space that is unused will grow, and be more valuable at the TDL when teams will look to move salary to make room for their acquisitions for a playoff push. At that point you can try to load up on '26 draft picks since you have enough for '25 already and have spots to fill after trading away your own players at the TDL if possible like Savard, Armia, Dvorak, etc...
I don't expect them to replace all of them with prospects as that would cripple the AHL team in Laval.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
While Vancouver is under the cap, it would be worthwhile for them to send Poolman and his 1 year, 2.5m LTIR salary somewhere else to accrue more cap space. If done now, it leaves ~3m open on opening night and if no salary taken on during the season, 11 million at the deadline.

4th + Poolman, if Montreal is into LTIR already?
MTL will not help a team with LTIR for a low 4th rder. No point un doing that.

I a teams wants to send a dump our way it starts with a 2nd rder or a B prospect

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
MTL will not help a team with LTIR for a low 4th rder. No point un doing that.

I a teams wants to send a dump our way it starts with a 2nd rder or a B prospect
2nd for 1 year of insured LTIR money. Lmao.

0 in cap space and about 400k in real money and you want a 2nd?

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Something tells me you don't exactly understand how LTIR works. There is 0 benefit to having Carey Price's contract for any reason other than the arizona shit where they were trying to use LTIR to save money in reaching the cap floor using insurance
That's very true. And if I'm not mistaken, you have to start the season with a cap compliant roster before you can shift any player to LTIR (though I there is a non-zero chance I'm not correct).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Who will be our monahan!!! Went Whughes Asset management extravaganza !!!

L.A gives you Luc Robitaille and Marc Bergevin to help with any translation issues you may have. Marc speaks French and Luc lately speaks Martian
Bergevin speaks the village idiot type of French we aren't interested in sorry :laugh:

Reactions: HabsQC and funky

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'm not your friend, buddy
I'm not your buddy, pal.

1720448879210.gif

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Who will be our monahan!!! Went Whughes Asset management extravaganza !!!

Bergevin speaks the village idiot type of French we aren't interested in sorry :laugh:
Alex Lafreniere and Alex Laferriere probably causes confusion

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
2nd for 1 year of insured LTIR money. Lmao.

0 in cap space and about 400k in real money and you want a 2nd?
Canucks can keep him then. unless we get something that will actually help us, we're not going to help you.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Not a chance in hell that Montreal takes on $14m of cap over 2 seasons for a lousy 2nd. Also, why does SJ even need to free up cap space right now? This deal makes zero sense for both teams

we just want him and his self entitled "I'm only here to collect a paycheck" attitude gone.

Don't need that kind of garbage around our prospects.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
we just want him and his self entitled "I'm only here to collect a paycheck" attitude gone.

Don't need that kind of garbage around our prospects.
Doing a great job selling him to Montreal. It's an easy pass at thst cap hit and term. It would take SUBSTANTIALLY more than a 2nd to take him

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The only thing that would actually make sense right now would be to swap a guy like Anderson or Gallagher who are making 5.5 and 6.5 respectively for three years for a top 6 right handed winger who is making more than one of them for two years.

This is why I'd imagine they were looking at Laine.

Depending on how things go in the beginning of the year, they may look into a veteran right shot dman if the kids we are hoping to step up, don't step up.

Aside from that, because of both current and future contracts, plus with who's on our team now and will hopefully be in the future, nothing else makes sense.

We also don't want to go into LTIR territory if we don't have to as there are negatives for doing so.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah well last I checked your name isn't Kent Hughes. Not like Vlasic would waive his NMC for a bottom feeder with zero cup aspirations anyhow.
Quit the BS dude your team is as bad as ours if not even worse sheesh

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
L.A gives you Luc Robitaille and Marc Bergevin to help with any translation issues you may have. Marc speaks French and Luc lately speaks Martian
Marc and Luc can stay as they now have perfected speaking LA and all Habs fans are currently enjoying watching the two of them work their magic with Blake.
Great job by all...........

Thx for your offer though, we appreciate the gesture.............lol

All jokes aside, good luck getting rid of Bergevin, it took us 10 years.

Reactions: Zilo44 and funky

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yeah well last I checked your name isn't Kent Hughes. Not like Vlasic would waive his NMC for a bottom feeder with zero cup aspirations anyhow.
If you say so. Be sure to tag me when tge trade breaks

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Other than the Monahan acquisition, Habs have not really sold Cap space for assets (picks) and ultimately Monahan could still play/still had value. Other than that he retained on $1M on Bonino for a pick at 2023 deadline and and was involved in the Karlsson trade but really did not take on much salary as he used that deal to dump Hoffman and Pitlick. If you look at the net effect of all 3 trades (including the Petry and desmith out too)

Initial 3 way trade - he took on 887K of Cap hit in 23-24 and 4.7M in 24-25 (petry's extra year)
Trade Petry out saves 2.35M on petry in 23-24 and again in 24-25 - Lindstrom doen't really count from a cap perspective as he buried him in minors
Then final Desmith for Pearson he takes on 1.45M in 23-24.

Net cap space effect of those 3 trades - no change in 2023-24 Cap hit (+.9M-2.35+1.45) and he takes on 2.35M (Petry's retention in 24-25)
So he eats 2.35M in 24-25, takes on Pearson but dumps Hoffman and Pitlick- freeing up a roster spot in the process and gets a 2nd(pitt), 3rd vancouver, and 4th Det - all 2025 picks for his trouble.

Getting rid of Hoffman for a 2/3/4 pick and only retaining 2.35M was quite a piece of work.

All that to say, don't expect the habs to take on the contract of a player that cannot contribute anymore (he is not going to block is youth for a 3rd pick) Someone overpaid on a expiring contract who is still good maybe, but with Cap increase cap space is not as tight so there will be more teams willing to take on those contracts. Mtl has almost too many mid round picks (7 picks in rds 2,3,4 next year) so unless someone's offering a 1st for an expiring contract he is not likely taking on your bad contract

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
In a year or maybe sooner (this deadline) Palat may need to be moved in order for NJ to go big game hunting. Or they will disappoint again and just ride out the suck but Palat seems to fit this post.

Ad

Ad

Ad