Habs cut seven plays including Roy

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Too bad, but yes. We have supbar offense, defence and goalies. No PP, and weak PK. Hutson will be the only new bright light if he can survive a full season of NHL trips and games. I am not convinced yet that St-Louis is a NHL caliber coach. Good for P.R. but very underwhelming behind a bench.
I hear this narrative about MSL, but I don't see where it is coming from?
Coaches are only as effective as their Leadership..
From there it is their job to ensure the team develops correctly..
He's done that every single year. What more could he possibly be doing with the players he has? The deadweight that cannot be cut.. the injuries, over and over again..
This is the final year of the tank 4.0. Starting next year he'll be under-pressure to make the playoffs..

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Plus minus is the stat that is useless, not xG. But you got the likes so that's what matters.
Plus-minus is indeed useless. I've petitioned the NHL to award points in the standings for all regular season games to the team that passes your eye test best each game. No more need to count goals scored and goals against considering all the flaws they are affected by.

Goals will be counted in the playoffs, but tie games will no longer go to exhausting overtime. Instead, they will be decided by which team showed more grit during the 60 minutes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Plus-minus is indeed useless. I've petitioned the NHL to award points in the standings for all regular season games to the team that passes your eye test best each game. No more need to count goals scored and goals against considering all the flaws they are affected by.

Goals will be counted in the playoffs, but tie games will no longer go to exhausting overtime. Instead, they will be decided by which team showed more grit during the 60 minutes.

+/- is only ineffective if you don't have the IQ to comprehend the context within it. Take it with a grain of salt and look deeper than just one player's +/-.

One example is looking at a D core and who has the best +/- and who has the worse. Then look at their minutes and usage. It can show you information.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I hear this narrative about MSL, but I don't see where it is coming from?
Coaches are only as effective as their Leadership..
From there it is their job to ensure the team develops correctly..
He's done that every single year. What more could he possibly be doing with the players he has? The deadweight that cannot be cut.. the injuries, over and over again..
This is the final year of the tank 4.0. Starting next year he'll be under-pressure to make the playoffs..

Fans always have a tendency to overvalue the players and undervalue the coach. This bias serves them better when the roster is actually good, but often leads them to err when the roster is mediocre. The latter is even worst when it's a team like ours, with all of its history, both recent and distant.

The team was -78 overall the season before last. -39 at even strenght. They've managed to cut that down to -49 overall and -9 at even strenght, which is pretty significant, but all we hear about from MSL's critics is how they don't see progress with the team. How the defense is disorganized all the same from the season before and yet, our EV going from -39 to -9 was all because of better defending, not from offense, as we were 170-179 last season versus 169-208 the season before, which shows they allowed 29 less goals at EV and only scored 1 more goal.

One component that got a bit worst since we had many more games with a close score in 23-24 versus 22-23, is we did worst at 5v6 (empty net for opponent). We were 7v3 in 22-23 and 6v12 last season. On the other hand, we did better when our net was empty (6v5), going from 6v18 in 22-23, to 5v12 last season. Count the two together, and it's a -5 from the season before, while playing a lot more end games with a tight score.

On the PK, we got a bit of a boost. We scored 7 shorties and allowed 74 goals in 22-23, for a -67, while in 23-24, we scored 8 shorties and allowed 64 goals for a total of -56. An upgrade of +11.

The only place we stagnated or got worst was the powerplay, which is all we hear about from the many captain obvious of the board. I haven't seen a single post praising the better defense at EV, nor the slightly better PK, and how if they keep improving on that, we'll see our +/- rise again. Naaaah, the narrative is now that they won't get better unless special teams get better, especially the powerplay. We in fact scored more on the powerplay, going from 37 (22-23) to 43 GF (23-24). The one place that actually got worst is we allowed a bunch of shorties. We allowed 12 versus 5 the season before, which puts our overall PP +/- from 22-23 at +32 versus +31 for last season.

If you count PP and PK together, we were -35 in 22-23, versus -25 in 23-24. Special teams were actually better overall last season versus the previous season.

So in reality, we got slightly better to much better in most categories except for two. Allowing shorties and empty net time for the opponent.

The lack of perspective based on actual facts is astounding and made me lose respect for many poster's hockey knowledge.

It was MSL's second full season (!) as a rookie coach ffs and it was much better than his first.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fans always have a tendency to overvalue the players and undervalue the coach. This bias serves them better when the roster is actually good, but often leads them to err when the roster is mediocre. The latter is even worst when it's a team like ours, with all of its history, both recent and distant.

The team was -78 overall the season before last. -39 at even strenght. They've managed to cut that down to -49 overall and -9 at even strenght, which is pretty significant, but all we hear about from MSL's critics is how they don't see progress with the team. How the defense is disorganized all the same from the season before and yet, our EV going from -39 to -9 was all because of better defending, not from offense, as we were 170-179 last season versus 169-208 the season before, which shows they allowed 29 less goals at EV and only scored 1 more goal.

One component that got a bit worst since we had many more games with a close score in 23-24 versus 22-23, is we did worst at 5v6 (empty net for opponent). We were 7v3 in 22-23 and 6v12 last season. On the other hand, we did better when our net was empty (6v5), going from 6v18 in 22-23, to 5v12 last season. Count the two together, and it's a -5 from the season before, while playing a lot more end games with a tight score.

On the PK, we got a bit of a boost. We scored 7 shorties and allowed 74 goals in 22-23, for a -67, while in 23-24, we scored 8 shorties and allowed 64 goals for a total of -56. An upgrade of +11.

The only place we stagnated or got worst was the powerplay, which is all we hear about from the many captain obvious of the board. I haven't seen a single post praising the better defense at EV, nor the slightly better PK, and how if they keep improving on that, we'll see our +/- rise again. Naaaah, the narrative is now that they won't get better unless special teams get better, especially the powerplay. We in fact scored more on the powerplay, going from 37 (22-23) to 43 GF (23-24). The one place that actually got worst is we allowed a bunch of shorties. We allowed 12 versus 5 the season before, which puts our overall PP +/- from 22-23 at +32 versus +31 for last season.

If you count PP and PK together, we were -35 in 22-23, versus -25 in 23-24. Special teams were actually better overall last season versus the previous season.

So in reality, we got slightly better to much better in most categories except for two. Allowing shorties and empty net time for the opponent.

The lack of perspective based on actual facts is astounding and made me lose respect for many poster's hockey knowledge.

It was MSL's second full season (!) as a rookie coach ffs and it was much better than his first.
A discerning fan would say no matter how you break down the numbers our special teams were a whole lot of ugly.
I'd love to know how many times the word "decline" got mentioned in our GDT's last season.
This isn't just a fan base trying to be funny or sarcastic.

The positive play that goes into obtaining the man advantage can often get sucked out of the game when no chances are created.
It is not strictly about numbers it is also about perception and it's about deflation.
Last season our opponents gained an edge multiple times and started taking more liberties when we were continually unable to generate anything.
By the same token when we were good and were on our front foot it didn't matter if we scored or not we were able maintained momentum.
We actually did a good job at scratching and clawing our way back when we did suck but I'd prefer using that energy on maintaining an attack.

This is the one area that is going to be coming under serious scrutiny.
Marty's mandate is not the same this season and it was never going to be.
So while I'm with you and find it easy to ignore most of the noise directed at Marty I also believe the grace period is slowly coming to an end.
We don't need to see huge gains numbers wise but we do need to see huge gains in terms of positive execution.
The team HuGo and Marty like to describe as their ideal does not have an anemic PP.

Let's see what the work behind the scenes did for us. Hopefully it starts us on a good footing.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I may add, that special teams (pp) would be infinately better once we have 2 pp units.. atm we pp1 and nothing to speak of for a pp2. This makes preparation from our opponents far easier.

In todays NHL, a coach can only create a set up, with trigger options.. it's still up to the players to adjust accordingly...

So far as I can see, the players are willing to go all out for MSL.. and why wouldnt they? A non-drafted undersized hall of famer and Cup champion. A man who has kept the spirits of the players POSITIVE in the face of losing, hope, that the process is working..

Hugo has done a splendid job to date, and will continue to add quality pieces.. the perfect management for the modern NHL; focusing on quality depth while reinforcing the Farm.. we need to draft 1 more top 6F (preferably 1st liner) so CC can drop to the 2nd line wing.. until then, MSL is the perfect guy for this group, and will be the perfect guy to take them far in the playoffs..

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
A discerning fan would say no matter how you break down the numbers our special teams were a whole lot of ugly.
I'd love to know how many times the word "decline" got mentioned in our GDT's last season.
This isn't just a fan base trying to be funny or sarcastic.

The positive play that goes into obtaining the man advantage can often get sucked out of the game when no chances are created.
It is not strictly about numbers it is also about perception and it's about deflation.
Last season our opponents gained an edge multiple times and started taking more liberties when we were continually unable to generate anything.
By the same token when we were good and were on our front foot it didn't matter if we scored or not we were able maintained momentum.
We actually did a good job at scratching and clawing our way back when we did suck but I'd prefer using that energy on maintaining an attack.

This is the one area that is going to be coming under serious scrutiny.
Marty's mandate is not the same this season and it was never going to be.
So while I'm with you and find it easy to ignore most of the noise directed at Marty I also believe the grace period is slowly coming to an end.
We don't need to see huge gains numbers wise but we do need to see huge gains in terms of positive execution.
The team HuGo and Marty like to describe as their ideal does not have an anemic PP.

Let's see what the work behind the scenes did for us. Hopefully it starts us on a good footing.

You can't have quality execution without a quality lineup or enough time to turn around the bad habits of scrubs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You can't have quality execution without a quality lineup or enough time to turn around the bad habits of scrubs.
You can have some. The quality was lacking on the teams we were facing also and they connected some dots plus shut us down.
I'm willing to concede it wasn't a focal point for us but the resemblance to much of what we saw last season wasn't appealing.

It starts for real tomorrow hopefully we can draw a penalty. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad