Habs cut seven plays including Roy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
going for a 50-50 puck should depend on the context of the game (risk assessment - are we on an end of shift? losing by 1? Am I f1 or am I giving up the D slot? etc), not because you are slow and soft and know you’ll lose most foot races and battles so you forfeit and cover the passing lanes.

Roy is super young, reads the game well and can shoot. Get bigger, faster and show something your next call up. That might be next year because gaining mass and strngth is something you do in the off season. Work on your game, get reps on the pp in the A; it’s all good. Such a weak team, there will be slots to fill next year.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Could this be why he got selected in the 5th round?
This is exactly what it is... so many Habs fans dote on the shiny new toys, but have no idea of their playing history, other than points..
I started to really understand scouting when i frequented OHL games.. and boy you can learn alot watching a player shift after shift..
Roy is basically a less talented Drouin. Far, far from a top 6 player. And unfortunately for him, he's of no use as a bottom 6.. this is not how depth works..

Reactions: Habby4Life

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Finished 44th out of 755 players in xG%, so no.

When stats don't meet the eye test, it's because there's context missing to understand the discrepancy.

xGF% is a glorified +/- stat with added components that gives a bit more context (save%, shot quality), but as such, needs more context that the stat doesn't offer. It does not include strenght of linemates, strenght of opposition, nor the precise implication of the player on each play the stat tallies. So saying "no" simply based on the stat is ludicrous. It's a stat driven by all 12 players on the ice.

The stat does not meet the eye test in Mailloux's case.

Reactions: HabzSauce

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
When stats don't meet the eye test, it's because there's context missing to understand the discrepancy.

xGF% is a glorified +/- stat with added components that gives a bit more context (save%, shot quality), but as such, needs more context that the stat doesn't offer. It does not include strenght of linemates, strenght of opposition, nor the precise implication of the player on each play the stat tallies. So saying "no" simply based on the stat is ludicrous. It's a stat driven by all 12 players on the ice.

The stat does not meet the eye test in Mailloux's case.
He passed my eye test. And I’ve never heard the stat described that way

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Mailloux was a defensive liability in preseason
Wouldn’t that be expected though?

All these guys are going to be defensive liabilities. They’re rookies trying to break through. We’re going to have a green blueline for a while. The sooner they can start playing NHL games the better long term.

But obviously it has to make sense. If he’s not ready then Laval is fine. He can hone his game there. Won’t surprise me at all if we see him again this year.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

All these guys are going to be defensive liabilities. They’re rookies trying to break through. We’re going to have a green blueline for a while. The sooner they can start playing NHL games the better long term.

But obviously it has to make sense. If he’s not ready then Laval is fine. He can hone his game there. Won’t surprise me at all if we see him again this year.
Except he wasn't and he had one Giveaway, which ranked amongst the best amongst all players. I can understand going slow with his experience, but in most years he makes the team. Esp looking at our RD. Savard had a good preseason too, but he's a known quantity- one of the best inzone defenders (which is all he does)- it's the rush and everywhere else that's the problem.

Barron had one bad turnover game, but was ok in the others and used his body a bit more. I can understand them wanting to wait and see some more there also.

Roy and Anderson both had excellent underlying defensive numbers as well, both very much maligned by the fans.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

We will most definitely see him again. We have very few RDs as it is.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Except he wasn't and he had one Giveaway, which ranked amongst the best amongst all players. I can understand going slow with his experience, but in most years he makes the team. Esp looking at our RD. Savard had a good preseason too, but he's a known quantity- one of the best inzone defenders (which is all he does)- it's the rush and everywhere else that's the problem.
I think in his case they just want to give him some more seasoning.

Roy’s a different story. It was his job to lose and he lost it. Roy will be back too though.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Mailloux not only needed to past the eye test which could be debatable but he also needed to beat out Barron, Struble or Hutson which is even less evident.
He did beat out Barron, but couldn't beat out the lack of waiver exemption. Struble was probably the 4th best dman in the NHL during preseason. Hutson was excellent offensively. Mailloux tho was 2nd as I said in Expected Goals For in the entire league. Reinbacher also got stronger as camp went along and his xGA was 51st out of 755 players. Future looks solid.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Mailloux not only needed to past the eye test which could be debatable but he also needed to beat out Barron, Struble or Hutson which is even less evident.
He doesn’t really have to beat those guys though. He’s lucky that he plays on the right side. He and Barron have a huge advantage there. They’re also lucky in that they don’t have to compete with RB as he’s injured.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Plus minus is the stat that is useless, not xG. But you got the likes so that's what matters.

You didn't answer my question, but I now can presume the answer.

Expected stats on GF/GA is simply an extention of +/- correlated with other stats including shot quality and save%.

If you say +/- is useless, you're also saying the same of expected stats, by extention. As I've said before, expected stats are simply +/- with added context, but like the simpler +/-, it doesn't offer the entire context and is just as flawed for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So is anyone going to miss Harris, Kovacevic, Pearson, Ylonen???

4 less softies /20. Its huge.

X, Strubs, Pezz, Heineman bring much more grit.

Haters gonna hate lfg

View attachment 913226
Grit level is net equal at best

Hutson-ABB-Kapanen-Barron bring nothing to the table for grit

X-Struble-Pezz were all there last year

Heineman brings a bit but not as much as Kovacevic

Reactions: Habs13

Ad

Ad

Ad