Post-Game Talk: Habs can't stop a puck or stay healthy. Rags wipe out Habs in Montreal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yup we're gonna lose most of the time against more mature teams with better rosters. People shouldn't be shocked.
PIT LAK NYI BOS are more mature for sure. Does this mean MtL should be outplayed like that every game ? No way. This team is not playing hockey at this point.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Missing slaf and ghule, Laine, demidov and reinbacher on the way (next year) losing to a cup contender. Leafs just got destroyed 6-2 by the f***ing Blue jackets.😂 Chin up. The season is young.
If you can t see the difference between losing some games over the course of a 82 game season vs showing nothing at all in 6 of 7 games I am not sure what to tell you. Having some fans satisfied with the current product on the ice is part of the issue by the way, if mgmt, coaching staff, medias and fans are all happy, nothing will change.

Reactions: ReHabs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If you can t see the difference between losing some games over the course of a 82 game season vs showing nothing at all in 6 of 7 games I am not sure what to tell you. Having some fans satisfied with the current product on the ice is part of the issue by the way, if mgmt, coaching staff, medias and fans are all happy, nothing will change.
Just like nothing changed for 10 years with bargain bin when everybody was subdued and satisfied by the sweet lies of RDS and the Carey Price show? Those days "in the mix" were miserable, I much rather tank and rebuild properly.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think we're rock bottom here, but I'm not sure how much better things can get this year.

First time I'm saying it in the MSL era, but we might need a new coach. The team doesn't look like a team.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Just like nothing changed for 10 years with bargain bin when everybody was subdued and satisfied by the sweet lies of RDS and the Carey Price show? Those days "in the mix" were miserable, I much rather tank and rebuild properly.
I agree about this regarding the 10 Bergevin years. For me this is not a proper rebuild however. I have never cared about the mix they mentioned : what I want to see is progress, sure you will lose to the Rags but let s make it a game, let s make it close don‘t lose it 7-2 because you never had the puck.

Let s not forget that the 1st line this game are in their D+6-D+8 years, they are not rookies. You don t need 10 years of 5OA to be a cup contender.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don’t know that the score reflects the game we had chances, every time there was a missed call or an error it ended up in the back of our net… but the goal on the icing and Barron getting layed Out you can’t find better example of guys not being aware and a focus… Monty signaled it was going to be icing both D slow down and get caught, but Monty isn’t even ready for the shot… Trouba make contact to the head but Barron going in head first you have to know who is infront of you and not put your self in a dangerous position…

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I much rather tank and rebuild properly.
Rebuilding is building.

What the f*** are they building if they can’t play serious, big boy hockey at this point?

Trouba make contact to the head but Barron going in head first you have to know who is infront of you and not put your self in a dangerous position…
Barron so afraid of contact he doesn’t even consider someone could hit him. Hitting just doesn’t exist in his conceptual sense of hockey.

If you can’t handle contact, you’re not an NHLer. He’s not an NHLer.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don’t know that the score reflects the game we had chances, every time there was a missed call or an error it ended up in the back of our net… but the goal on the icing and Barron getting layed Out you can’t find better example of guys not being aware and a focus… Monty signaled it was going to be icing both D slow down and get caught, but Monty isn’t even ready for the shot… Trouba make contact to the head but Barron going in head first you have to know who is infront of you and not put your self in a dangerous position…
45-23 shots, how is the score unfair ?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's called growing pains. We can still expect a few of those this season. Especially if the injury bug continues.

Tonight, our rookie defensemen made... guess what, rookie defensemen mistakes. It will happen again.
People are acting like this is a gotcha or something. Lot of strawmen getting trouba'd out there

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It’s unfair because it makes our favourite team look bad. Hockey is a game of mistakes and luck… opponents make mistakes and we have bad luck!
Yep fully agreed. Rebuild is not only draft a few top picks and let them grow, cash in 10 years later. Sucking for 10 years and suddently not sucking is not the way it works….

It's called growing pains. We can still expect a few of those this season. Especially if the injury bug continues.

Tonight, our rookie defensemen made... guess what, rookie defensemen mistakes. It will happen again.

Rookie mistakes are part of growing pains, team not showing up night after night and no structure in place year after year has nothing to do with this.

You will lose some games 7-2 maybe even 9-1 but being outshot 45-23 this time and 30+ to 25- on average is unacceptable.

Reactions: hvac412

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
People are acting like this is a gotcha or something. Lot of strawmen getting trouba'd out there
Losing close games is growing pains.
Losing games from winning positions is growing pains.
Losing games on bad bounces is growing pains.

That was last year. Frustrating sure but encouraging.

Getting pummelled, or Trouba’d, is not the same.

Yep fully agreed. Rebuild is not only draft a few top picks and let them grow, cash in 10 years later. Sucking for 10 years and suddently not sucking is not the way it works….
We’ve done been trying to say this to tankoholics but they refuse to accept that it isn’t a switch. A winning culture requires… not to anybody’s surprise, to cultivating a culture of winning. Winning close games, winning against the odds, winning by dominating, winning by doing the right things…

It’s less a roster issue than it is a culture and coaching issue. I hope something is done to shake things up. This season cannot be squandered.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Our first draft of the rebuild happened 26 months ago. Out of that draft, we've added Slaf and Hutson who are 20 years old, and the latter is green as they come.

The actual rebuild has barely started. People give too much weight to the handful of prospects/young players who were already here when the rebuild started.

The fallacy is believing this team will significantly improve simply by having Suz, CC and Slaf magically turn into a real first line that will mitigate all the problems this roster has, and which won't actually be fixed until we add players who go into their proper chair, which needs more time, drafting and developing.

Asking for results this early is just a foulhardy proposition. People need to get comfortable with the fact that Suzuki and Caufield will be between 25 to 30 years old when the team will be much better, and they won't be the team's best players.

By the time we'll be 4 years removed from our first rebuild draft of 2022, so 2026, Slaf and Hutson will only still be 22 years old, heading on 23. Demidov and Hage will be 20, heading on 21. Reinbacher and Fowler will be 21 heading on 22. Those will be a huge chunk of the actual core.

The simple truth is, many here don't have the required patience for a rebuild, but guess what? Better get used to it. This is the shithole Bergevin left us with. There's no miracle trade, no signing or coach that will alleviate our woes. Our asset base was demolished, no matter if a few remnants like Suz, CC and Guhle were a part of it. That asset base won't get significantly raised by trades. There's hardly players willing to sign here to raise that asset base either, and no coach will come with a magic wand to turn frogs into princes.

A simple exercise: What age will those players be when Suzuki is 30 years old? Slaf and Hutson will be 25. Demidov and Hage will be 23. Reinbacher and Fowler will be 24. They will all still be very young and just at the cusp of their prime. The actual core will all be between 23 and 30 years old, with most of them around 25 years old.

Reactions: Runner77

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Worst thing about the NHL is players like Trouba have a place in it. It’s too bad they can’t get out of their own way and make the game into something that could be so amazing. It’s eventually (in relatively short order) going to drop behind the MLS in relevance in US.
Meanwhile in Marty's world players like Arber who might prevent this type of play are neutered and sent to bed without supper,what a fu#&ing clown of a coach

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Id rather be trending up..
You dont want to be Ottawa or Buffalo
we need more elite talent.

Hopefully Dach and Laine can recover from their injuries and Demidov is good fast sarting next year.

Yes, it would be good to be taking as big of steps as soon as possible. But
Remember Gorton saying in his most recent interview how beating the Rangers is a little sweeter because of how fresh his departure is.

Well I'm sure he's not happy about tonight.

In an interview where he said that, he also said the title of next year's series should be "the rebuild continues." He knows it takes time and there will be nights like this. His goal is to do a proper rebuild, not sacrifice that to beat his old boss who didn't appreciate that the reason the Rangers were able to beat us like they did last night is because of what Gorton did for the Rangers.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Hey Jeff,Kent remember that game where the Caps Rag-dolled the Rangers,yeah.....were there. Even Laviolette looked embarrassed for the habs :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad