Hab Hating (1979-2014)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
kind of miss those days when the Habs had a few guys who, at the very least, were willing to drop the mitts....didn`t make me hate them any less though:laugh:

In those days I could at least grudgingly respect Montreal [very grudgingly]. Not anymore.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Goes back much further - to 1955 when Richard had a tantrum that would have cost any other player his career. But the League only suspended Richard for breaking a few sticks over Hal Laycoe's back and head and punching out a linesman. Come to think of it. Inspector clouseau of the Montreal Police didn't even want to have a talk with Richard.

The fans basically destroyed a section of St. Catherine's St. to express their displeasure that L'Enfant was punished for losing it.

Richard was a great hockey player and an arrogant male appendage who thought he could get away with anything.

I've always thought it took a lot of guts for Clarence Campbell to suspend him. I can't imagine Bettman having or even finding the stones to do something like that. Or any other sports commissioner for that matter.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I do wish you had mentioned Svoboda's lack of shoulders; he had a neck that went clear down to his waist. That puss-bag was Cam's personal speed bump, and the direct ancestor of the current lineup of Velcro gloved Habs.

This is as funny as the OP, which is hilarious!

I'da put Knucklehead first, but W/E.

Interesting thing is, I hated that they always beat the Bruins in the 70's but really didn't hate their individual players. Perhaps I was too young. Nilan was prolly the one that got my hatred going, and it's only snowballed!

I used to love it when they'd bring up a goon to beat up Miller, and the goon never got a chance cuz LB would pummel him first!

And no one was more deserving of having their head slammed into the boards by Cam than Claude Lemieux...oh the glee when Markwart turned his eye into a mouse for him!

They say hatred is an un-healthy emotion. I disagree, Hab hatred is truly one of life's greatest joys!

Reactions: jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This is as funny as the OP, which is hilarious!

I'da put Knucklehead first, but W/E.

Interesting thing is, I hated that they always beat the Bruins in the 70's but really didn't hate their individual players. Perhaps I was too young. Nilan was prolly the one that got my hatred going, and it's only snowballed!

I used to love it when they'd bring up a goon to beat up Miller, and the goon never got a chance cuz LB would pummel him first!
And no one was more deserving of having their head slammed into the boards by Cam than Claude Lemieux...oh the glee when Markwart turned his eye into a mouse for him!

They say hatred is an un-healthy emotion. I disagree, Hab hatred is truly one of life's greatest joys!

The bolded goes back to the legendary playoff game where Bowman sent Bouchard out to fight Jonathan. Bouchard had 7" and 30 lbs on Cherry's personal bulldog, but Stan still twisted his head off like a bottle cap.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Great and hilarious list, I hate Claude Lemieux the most of any of those guys on the list, the guy was just pure garbage even when he left the Habs.

Sort of like Cooke, no matter where he goes I hate him just as much.

Remember when he caved in Drapers face, what an ***hole.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Great and hilarious list, I hate Claude Lemieux the most of any of those guys on the list, the guy was just pure garbage even when he left the Habs.

Sort of like Cooke, no matter where he goes I hate him just as much.

Remember when he caved in Drapers face, what an ***hole.

Yes. I also remember the payback he got the following year- IIRC it was Darren McCarty who hammered him. Claude of course turtled...

ObjectiveOpinion

Jan 7, 2013
I really don't get the Patches hate around here, the dude is GOOD. He's also been pretty quiet over the past couple of years other than the ever present Chara-push.

Last edited:

vinnyboombatz

Mar 19, 2014
Remember Steve Fletcher...enforcer brought up during 1988 playoffs and subsequently unable to do much vs LB (victim of the LB-patented uppercut)?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1709

Great topic Sarge! Agree with every single habs player mentioned. :handclap:

I remember my friends warning me before that game about Fletcher and his 17" biceps. Played one shift, took a beating from Byers, and was never heard from again. :laugh:

Lyle Odelein was a dirty p.o.s. Always had that ugly grin on his face.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Great topic Sarge! Agree with every single habs player mentioned. :handclap:

I remember my friends warning me before that game about Fletcher and his 17" biceps. Played one shift, took a beating from Byers, and was never heard from again. :laugh:

Lyle Odelein was a dirty p.o.s. Always had that ugly grin on his face.

How on Earth did we forget Lyle Odelein??!!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How on Earth did we forget Lyle Odelein??!!

Yeah, Maxim Lapierre too! And I remember getting pissed every time Naslund played against us and nobody was able to hit him as he skated around like he was on a huge pond.

Maybe 5 years from now, I'll make a list of 40 and some new ones will be there.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Yeah, Maxim Lapierre too! And I remember getting pissed every time Naslund played against us and nobody was able to hit him as he skated around like he was on a huge pond.

Maybe 5 years from now, I'll make a list of 40 and some new ones will be there.

I remember a game 5, mid'80s.....coulda been the Steve Penny year, or maybe Roy was already playing, but it was a best of 5, and late in the 3rd, maybe OT.

Naslund gains the zone, and I said to my buddy, Naslund's gonna score.

I HATE being right!

Gotta admit, he was a good player, but I hate him.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Carboneau was a guy who drove me nuts.

I also really had a disdain for the uni-brow J.J. Daigneault

About Lemieux. I agree with most you said but man the guy could really elevate his game come playoff time. But the draper thing will always stick out in my mind.

I don't really have the hate for the others as you do.

Never really a Patrick fan but thought the way they treated him at the end was terrible but I think that's all on Mario Tremblay.

I always liked Price until 2 days when "they were pretty lucky."

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
#34 potentially already way too low

Also gotta name

laraque.jpg

Nice list otherwise

Lucic trains in the off season with Gally and his father......Lucic put a big push for the Bruins to draft him.........

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Sarge, this is pure brilliance. I laughed so hard at almost every entry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad