Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_4090.gif

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
If you don't understand the underline theme of the music in the 3 movies well that's on you.
I understand it, and this time it did not hit with the 90s rando tracks.
Changed their main composer, so not much was to be expected.

Anyway, that's enough for me about this "art." Cool, awesome, will make billions!
I will remember it as fondly as my last good restaurant meal.

Reactions: Neil Racki

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I understand it, and this time it did not hit with the 90s rando tracks.
Changed their main composer, so not much was to be expected.

Anyway, that's enough for me about this "art." Cool, awesome, will make billions!
I will remember it as fondly as my last good restaurant meal.
Art is subjective in many ways but this, pretty much like any movie, is art by the basic definition of the word

[noncount] : something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings

the arts : painting, sculpture, music, theater, literature, etc., considered as a group of activities done by people with skill and imagination

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Art is subjective in many ways but this, pretty much like any movie, is art by the basic definition of the word

[noncount] : something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings

the arts : painting, sculpture, music, theater, literature, etc., considered as a group of activities done by people with skill and imagination
Yeah I get it, I'm not here to debate that.

It was mostly a retort at the parrot copy/pasting "Sorry you don't like art" or something to that effect because I didn't "11/10, AMAZING!, I CRIED EVEN MORE THAN KEVIN SMITH!!!" at this particular movie.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Very good way to end the GOTG saga. Definitely the best of the new phase movies by far. Those Rocket flashbacks were tough to see.
I just saw it and I agree best overall field since End Game.
Solid way to end it. Gave every member of the team a direction which fit their personality and past experiences.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yeah I get it, I'm not here to debate that.

It was mostly a retort at the parrot copy/pasting "Sorry you don't like art" or something to that effect because I didn't "11/10, AMAZING!, I CRIED EVEN MORE THAN KEVIN SMITH!!!" at this particular movie.
And that's why people say it is subjective. Some people like certain movies, paintings, sculptures, etc. while others don't. You can not like it and it does not mean you don't like art, I agree with you on that, you might not like or love or whatever this movie as an individual piece of art.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And that's why people say it is subjective. Some people like certain movies, paintings, sculptures, etc. while others don't. You can not like it and it does not mean you don't like art, I agree with you on that, you might not like or love or whatever this movie as an individual piece of art.
Don't forget that you're on HFBoards, where people don't like when other people LIKE stuff that they don't. Especially in movie related topics, looking down at people who like "popular" or "pop corn" movies, is very common.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I give it a solid B.

The flashbacks were ok but they dragged a bit IMO since the outcome was never in doubt.

I enjoyed much of the comedic aspect, with Drax, Mantis and Nebula delivering.

I’m kind of glad that Star Lord and Gamora didn’t end up together as she is fundamentally a different person. Their banter was pretty solid.

The plot was basically absent (save Rocket) and they threw in a bunch of kids in at the end (see: Thor Love and Thunder) which IMO is always a crutch when they can’t think of anything better.

They did have a compelling villain with scene chewing scenes that were well-acted by Iwuji.

Still, it was a decent send-off and the post credit scenes were solid.

Nathan Fillion delivered in his cameo.

I agree with the notion that the music felt a little more forced in this one, but Spacehog, Beastie Boys and Florence and the Machine were highlights.

Creep is one of Radiohead’s worst songs and insanely overplayed so I couldn’t really get into it.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I enjoyed much of the comedic aspect, with Drax, Mantis and Nebula delivering.
I thought Mantis was terrible. Overacting, and not in a fun way. That and it dragged quite a bit. Otherwise, enjoyed it. Much better than the rest of whatever the phase were in now. I wish I didn't know the songs list beforehand, some of them were pure bliss.

As for "art"... That's an hilarious defense for a commercial product that - even though belonging to an artistic field - is pretty much at the complete opposite of what any sane person would consider an "art film", or an artistic achievement.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought Mantis was terrible. Overacting, and not in a fun way. That and it dragged quite a bit. Otherwise, enjoyed it. Much better than the rest of whatever the phase were in now. I wish I didn't know the songs list beforehand, some of them were pure bliss.

As for "art"... That's an hilarious defense for a commercial product that - even though belonging to an artistic field - is pretty much at the complete opposite of what any sane person would consider an "art film", or an artistic achievement.
Isn't it up to each individual to decide what they consider "art"?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Isn't it up to each individual to decide what they consider "art"?
I guess that's a door my beloved Marcel Duchamp opened wide and that it's useless to try and close it now. But I think even the purest believer wouldn't dare compare Fontaine to Étant donné (or defend the former with arguments such as "too bad you don't like art").
Dismissing art that is not up to your personal tastes as 'not-art' is in itself an art form
I didn't even say it wasn't art. I just said it was hilarious to use its artistic merits as its sole defense. I guess Spurlock didn't like fine cuisine either.
When it comes to art's value, I'm a big fan of Jauss's horizon of expectations, that film being a commercial film with a conventional narrative (and even worse, the third film in a series), it wouldn't stretch any informed viewer's horizon and would sit pretty poorly in the artistic discussion. Now, you can dismiss any theoretical approach to art all you want and prefer the it's-all-art understanding of human creation, but that puts your bathroom break at the same level of artistic wonder than the 150 minutes you sat in the theater.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I guess that's a door my beloved Marcel Duchamp opened wide and that it's useless to try and close it now. But I think even the purest believer wouldn't dare compare Fontaine to Étant donné (or defend the former with arguments such as "too bad you don't like art").

I didn't even say it wasn't art. I just said it was hilarious to use its artistic merits as its sole defense. I guess Spurlock didn't like fine cuisine either.
When it comes to art's value, I'm a big fan of Jauss's horizon of expectations, that film being a commercial film with a conventional narrative (and even worse, the third film in a series), it wouldn't stretch any informed viewer's horizon and would sit pretty poorly in the artistic discussion. Now, you can dismiss any theoretical approach to art all you want and prefer the it's-all-art understanding of human creation, but that puts your bathroom break at the same level of artistic wonder than the 150 minutes you sat in the theater.
Since you obviously don't understand the ART of comic books, what the MCU have been doing is basically cramming up decades of character development and history into a movie series, in some cases a trilogy (Iron Man, Spider-Man, Cap) which is a very tough task and short cuts have to be taken due to available screentime but to me they've done a remarkable job at it so far.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Since you obviously don't understand the ART of comic books, what the MCU have been doing is basically cramming up decades of character development and history into a movie series, in some cases a trilogy (Iron Man, Spider-Man, Cap) which is a very tough task and short cuts have to be taken due to available screentime but to me they've done a remarkable job at it so far.
It does not help that in the comic books the regularly change or retcon characters back stories, power or whatever. Some still argue which is the teal one for various characters. Then you have the multiverse and versions of a character having more or less powers or a different story in one series of comics vs another's.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
That's your following argument to "each individual should decide what they consider art"? That I don't understand "ART"?

That's gold. Even coming from you.

As for the MCU's world building as a whole, ok.... that wasn't part of the discussion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It does not help that in the comic books the regularly change or retcon characters back stories, power or whatever. Some still argue which is the teal one for various characters. Then you have the multiverse and versions of a character having more or less powers or a different story in one series of comics vs another's.
I'm referring to basically anything that was done by the end of 90's-ish.

That's your following argument to "each individual should decide what they consider art"? That I don't understand "ART"?

That's gold. Even coming from you.

As for the MCU's world building as a whole, ok.... that wasn't part of the discussion.
I was just trying to type a really long sentence and that's what I came up with.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
There was a review that said this movie is a constant emotional whiplash and I tend to agree, they've been doing this a lot since phase 4 and it's tedious as a viewer. I feel tired part-way through the movie with how all over the place it is and with the amount of fetchquests they're constantly on. It feels edge of your seat stuff on Infinity War when they're moving location to location but here....I dunno.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just saw this and I'm officially caught up on the MCU (minus Werewolf By Night and the Holiday Special, I'll get to those soon). I lagged behind a bit in the last year with all of the D+ shows.

I didn't like it as much as others seemed to. It's still really good, but probably not even in my Top 10 MCU stories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad