Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Generational, to me, are players who have both dominated the game and significantly changed/grown the game.

McDavid, Crosby/Ovi, Roy, Hasek, Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Richard - hard to go back further, but probably Vezina gets on the list.

Lindros dominated and changed the game, but maybe not for long enough.
Lindros played at a 100pt+ pace during the dead puck era. I guess the only reason we don’t talk about him as much is because he never played a full season and his career was cut short at his peak by a Steven’s elbow to the head.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
The generational word is pretty self explanatory. You're likely only to see 1 of these players in a generation. Lots of people loosen it up and add all sorts of players like Mackinnon or Makar in to the conversation.

McDavid and Crosby are the only ones in my lifetime and I'm 38 years old.
Wayne and Mario were playing when you were a kid.

Reactions: Vector

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think the "subjectivity" of it is probably more due to the word "Generational" than the players themselves. In my era (70's until now), how many generations would that really account for? Just talking goalies for example, during my time as a hockey fan I would say that Hasek, Brodeur and Roy (in that order) were THE goalies of the time and I don't think there have been any since who are at that level, all 3 are, or are very close to generational goalies, but if they are all from virtually the same generation can they all be generational? I don't know maybe I'm just overthinking, it but that's where the subjectivity comes from for me.
The game was so different and it’s often not discussed. That was the dead pick era when scoring was down and large slow defensemen who hung onto forwards and used sticks like axes to chop down faster skaters thrived. The reason those goalies stand out is more about the way the game was played then the level of talent they had relative to current goalies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I saw a bit of both. I don't consider either apart of my generation.

I mean, you did say in your lifetime. We're also the same age and I certainly saw quite a bit of Lemieux in the second half of his career. Gretzky was just retiring as I was getting into hockey.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In terms of the generational player talk it really depends on the definition. If it’s simply the best player(s) of his generation then a guy like Jagr should be part of discussion as he was widely considered the best player in the game for a stretch of time. Similarly I think Bure belongs in the discussion as far as being a goal scorer. How many goal scoring titles would he have had if not for his knee injuries?

I kind of feel that a generational player should be able to succeed playing in any era all else being equal and there could be more than one generational player in any era.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Start the countdown on the Pettersson+ for Brady Tkachuk+ blockbuster. The NTC doesn't kick in until the off-season.
Tocchet really put EP in the cross hairs giving him the most ice time of all the forwards by a huge margin.
If EP didn't feel urgency or pressure before the game he will now. One measly secondary PP assist.

Maybe Tocchet's system just won't work for him, he just doesn't fit that narrow definition of a "boards guy"

The 11+million dollar man with one shot on goal, a shot with little chance of going in at that.

This would be an unfair assessment this early in a season but unfortunately this is a carryover from last year in the easy season and even more dismal performance in the real season.

I noticed there were no setups for his one timer on the PP as well, his bread and butter shot, the whole PP looked like anything but him getting a shot opportunity. That would be a coaching decision.

A trade might be for the best but they will wait too long, if he keeps going this way they might be adding a 1rst again to move him if his production remains the same into January.

Another Huberdeau 2.0.

The Penquins might want him, maybe Columbus even more due to their unfortunate turn of events this season, Columbus and their new GM certainly won't want two more seasons of scrapping the bottom. They would likely devise a style that he can fit into.

Reactions: Flik

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Start the countdown on the Pettersson+ for Brady Tkachuk+ blockbuster. The NTC doesn't kick in until the off-season.

Something like that has to be on the table at least, or something the management group is discussing at the very least. I still hold out hope Pettersson will turn it around, but if not, all options should be on the table.

Reactions: PavelBure10

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Something like that has to be on the table at least, or something the management group is discussing at the very least. I still hold out hope Pettersson will turn it around, but if not, all options should be on the table.
Should have done it before last years trade deadline.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
At the rate that it's going, I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Not that I don't love Petey, but I think he gets into his own head way too frequently. Tkachuk there would be no questioning his will of wanting to win.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Team has been looking for a young defenseman to emerge as a reliable bottom pairing minute eater.

McWard, Hirose, Juulsen (to an extent) and Woo have failed to take any steps forward.

We are waiting on guys like Pettersson, Willander, Kudryavtsev and Mynio to see if they can take any sizeable steps forward.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So we can be tormented by Tage Thompson's butter soft, defence-less game?
Never said I liked it, but he’s another player that’s going to be mentioned if Pettersson trade talks become a reality. Making $4.5M less than our butter soft Pettersson at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad