Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The window for a lot of prospects to secure a spot a spot as legitimate NHL player is short. A guy like Dalpe we got when he was 24. He hasn't played as many NHL games since. Same with Gaunce or Schroeder etc. If Aman doesn't take a big step forward this season his NHL career will be mostly done.

While you're absolutely not wrong here, it is worth pointing out that Aman - while still a pretty fringey player - is in a bit of a different bucket than those others.

Aman has played like 2 or 3x as many NHL games as Dalpe had, for example, and basically came over from Sweden and has been more-or-less an NHL player ever since. Dalpe at this age was already reasonably well-established as most likely a career AHL/AAAA player.

Beyond that, though, you're obviously correct since basically the NHL is like the top X% (let's call it 20-25% just to put a vague number on it) of players who have very long careers and are "actual" NHLers and everyone else tends to get maybe a couple seasons before their body, mind, or talent can't maintain the level they need to stay at the top of the bucket anymore and they get churned out to minor pro or retirement.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So are the Canucks done with cuts?

Aren't we over the cap?

I thought they could stay under with Hirose sent down?

Depends on Suter?

Who f***ing knows!? If Suter is well enough just need a few days, they could keep him on the active roster and scratch him until ready. Send down one of Raty or Bains and waive Juulsen/Friedman. Also possible they LTIR someone (I suspect Joshua) and run with a full roster then active them, send someone down/waive, and get under the cap.

Reactions: andora

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think anyone goes down. they are stuck carrying 3 goalies and they need 13 forwards and 7 dmen. that forces them to ltir somebody until joshua is healthy or they make a trade. plus if they ltir poolman and put demko on ir they could actually call someone up.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
i don't think anyone goes down. they are stuck carrying 3 goalies and they need 13 forwards and 7 dmen. that forces them to ltir somebody until joshua is healthy or they make a trade. plus if they ltir poolman and put demko on ir they could actually call someone up.

First road game is in Tampa on the 15th. One benefit of the farm team being in Abbotsford is that they have reinforcements that are pretty much immediately available if necessary. So if they wanted to go with a 20-man roster they could probably pull it off until they travel to Tampa. A couple of callup-calibre AHL guys could be kept in Abbotsford instead of travelling to Calgary for the games against the Wranglers next weekend.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
First road game is in Tampa on the 15th. One benefit of the farm team being in Abbotsford is that they have reinforcements that are pretty much immediately available if necessary. So if they wanted to go with a 20-man roster they could probably pull it off until they travel to Tampa. A couple of callup-calibre AHL guys could be kept in Abbotsford instead of travelling to Calgary for the games against the Wranglers next weekend.
in theory but i don't think in reality.

if they send both raty and bains down it gets them $90,000 under the cap, which by my math means they accrue about $400/day. not worth it, although they save real money paying those guys 2-way salaries i guess. i should add i think that one of those guys has to go down unless they add demko or suter to the ir, but i am betting demko goes on ir.

there is no dman they could send down who is waivers exempt so they'd have to risk losing juulsen to waivers to accrue basically his salary.

i should add that i am always wrong about these guesses so factor that in.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Right now they have 15 F, 8 D and 3 G...

Even if they put Demko and Joshua on IR, they still have a 24 man roster unless Suter is hurt for awhile?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both Raty and Bains are 'waiver-exempt'. They can be sent to Abby any time the Canucks want.

So why not roll the dice and give them some games at the start of the season? If they both catch fire, then the team is better off for it. But if they struggle, they can still be sent down even before the 10-game mark.

Seems like a 'no-lose' situation to me.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The comparison to Hansen was made in context of how good they performed in a role they were used in and paid to be. I specifically mentioned that Motte at best played like a 3rd liner but spent most of the time on the 4th line. In that context he was and is a superior 4th line player to Aman.

Ah yes. I see how you were using Hansen as a comparison now. As far as I saw personally Motte was never anywhere close to a 3rd liner except maybe on our crappy team. I don't see him as far superior to Aman at all. He's had a wee bit more personal success but Aman is also only entering his third year. As @kanucks25 mentioned Motte looks busier but his overall effectiveness isn't much different than Aman imo. Both kept the puck out of our net and added very little offence. I think both could be improved upon. Sherwood is better than both.

Maybe it's unfair but for me a 4th liner's success is partially tied to team success unless you're one of the few 4th liners that are universally sought after. They are the least skilled players on the team for the most part.

So any 4th player who outperforms on a bad team achieves nothing and is pretty much a dime a dozen? That doesn't extend to other players playing higher up in the lineup?

I would put forth that fourth liners are often products of their team, much like coaching. So yeah, I would say they are a dime a dozen and often success is based on situation, or it's a spot for developing players. Look at a guy like Klim Kostin, or even Lomberg from the Panthers last year. They can play a pivotal role as a fourth liner on a Cup team but are they surefire better options than others? I'm not so sure. It's not like a second line winger on a crappy team who still scores 35 goals. There is something tangible there to measure and pursue.

The Canucks finished 22nd in points in Aman's first year. How is that one of he worst teams in history? I think Motte played on far worse teams.

I don't know why you are mentioning Motte's faceoff stats here. He isn't a C. He is a winger. Meanwhile, Aman's value is that he can play C but that value decreases if he can't consistently win faceoffs. For me that's signifcant because if Aman is an elite at faceoffs then combined with his PK and defensive abilities that sets him apart.

Motte spent the majority of his time here with Malhotra-like defensive deployment playing on a worse team. What he managed to accomplish is more impressive than what Aman has done. I'm not completely writing him off. I've been saying he needs to do more. I also don't see why it's "absurd" to discuss reasonable areas for improvement. We can't just go out and find a #3 Dman or even find a long term 3C that fits our cap and move Bluegar down to 4C for a price we are willing to pay. But we can find ways to improve our 4th line. We did that last year adding Lafferty and this year we signed Sprong to a bargain contract. We've given Aman opportunities. If he isn't going to develop into a more useful player we can give that opportunity to a player like Raty.

The window for a lot of prospects to secure a spot a spot as legitimate NHL player is short. A guy like Dalpe we got when he was 24. He hasn't played as many NHL games since. Same with Gaunce or Schroeder etc. If Aman doesn't take a big step forward this season his NHL career will be mostly done.

I don't know but the 2022-2023 Canucks was probably one of, if not the worst team performance I've seen in my 46 years supporting this team. It was tragically awful in almost every conceivable way imho.

Got off on a tangent about face-offs I will concede that one to you. Yes, he does need to get better at face-offs to set himself apart from others.

I get the wanting improvement part but like you mention that's our bottom 4 D first and foremost. Not our 4th line which wasn't a problem at all. I see a a number folks saying give Raty the opportunity. That's all fine. Give him a chance, if he's better than Aman then great for us. If not then Aman is the best we have right now, and as of now has proven to be better than Raty ... although that may change if Raty does indeed get in.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Right now they have 15 F, 8 D and 3 G...

Even if they put Demko and Joshua on IR, they still have a 24 man roster unless Suter is hurt for awhile?
i think one of those d is poolman who is on ir.

edit: puckpedia shows friedman on the farm. not sure that is correct.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Both Raty and Bains are 'waiver-exempt'. They can be sent to Abby any time the Canucks want.

So why not roll the dice and give them some games at the start of the season? If they both catch fire, then the team is better off for it. But if they struggle, they can still be sent down even before the 10-game mark.

Seems like a 'no-lose' situation to me.

Raty depends on Suter’s health. If he’s good to go I think Raty basically automatically goes down. There is room for Bains until Joshua is back, but they could also send him down and move Aman to wing (again if Suter is healthy) to possibly stay out of LTIR (along with waiving one of Juulsen/Friedman).

It will largely be dictated by the cap situation I’d think since we’re talking bottom of the line-up guys and nobody has really blown the doors off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad