Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The window for a lot of prospects to secure a spot a spot as legitimate NHL player is short. A guy like Dalpe we got when he was 24. He hasn't played as many NHL games since. Same with Gaunce or Schroeder etc. If Aman doesn't take a big step forward this season his NHL career will be mostly done.

While you're absolutely not wrong here, it is worth pointing out that Aman - while still a pretty fringey player - is in a bit of a different bucket than those others.

Aman has played like 2 or 3x as many NHL games as Dalpe had, for example, and basically came over from Sweden and has been more-or-less an NHL player ever since. Dalpe at this age was already reasonably well-established as most likely a career AHL/AAAA player.

Beyond that, though, you're obviously correct since basically the NHL is like the top X% (let's call it 20-25% just to put a vague number on it) of players who have very long careers and are "actual" NHLers and everyone else tends to get maybe a couple seasons before their body, mind, or talent can't maintain the level they need to stay at the top of the bucket anymore and they get churned out to minor pro or retirement.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So are the Canucks done with cuts?

Aren't we over the cap?

I thought they could stay under with Hirose sent down?

Depends on Suter?

Who f***ing knows!? If Suter is well enough just need a few days, they could keep him on the active roster and scratch him until ready. Send down one of Raty or Bains and waive Juulsen/Friedman. Also possible they LTIR someone (I suspect Joshua) and run with a full roster then active them, send someone down/waive, and get under the cap.

Reactions: andora

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think anyone goes down. they are stuck carrying 3 goalies and they need 13 forwards and 7 dmen. that forces them to ltir somebody until joshua is healthy or they make a trade. plus if they ltir poolman and put demko on ir they could actually call someone up.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
i don't think anyone goes down. they are stuck carrying 3 goalies and they need 13 forwards and 7 dmen. that forces them to ltir somebody until joshua is healthy or they make a trade. plus if they ltir poolman and put demko on ir they could actually call someone up.

First road game is in Tampa on the 15th. One benefit of the farm team being in Abbotsford is that they have reinforcements that are pretty much immediately available if necessary. So if they wanted to go with a 20-man roster they could probably pull it off until they travel to Tampa. A couple of callup-calibre AHL guys could be kept in Abbotsford instead of travelling to Calgary for the games against the Wranglers next weekend.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
First road game is in Tampa on the 15th. One benefit of the farm team being in Abbotsford is that they have reinforcements that are pretty much immediately available if necessary. So if they wanted to go with a 20-man roster they could probably pull it off until they travel to Tampa. A couple of callup-calibre AHL guys could be kept in Abbotsford instead of travelling to Calgary for the games against the Wranglers next weekend.
in theory but i don't think in reality.

if they send both raty and bains down it gets them $90,000 under the cap, which by my math means they accrue about $400/day. not worth it, although they save real money paying those guys 2-way salaries i guess. i should add i think that one of those guys has to go down unless they add demko or suter to the ir, but i am betting demko goes on ir.

there is no dman they could send down who is waivers exempt so they'd have to risk losing juulsen to waivers to accrue basically his salary.

i should add that i am always wrong about these guesses so factor that in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad