Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe my wording is off, low impact perhaps is better. Which is often a good result for a 4th liner. He did hit a tonne, and played fast but his hits didn't do a heck of a lot either. He wasn't an overly hard hitter like a Raffi Torres, Kostin, Sherwood, Clutterbuck, etc. He did chip in some timely goals for sure. He's also going into year 11 compared to Aman's 2nd.

Don't get me wrong I loved me some Motte. Point is he wasn't and isn't some incredible top notch 4th liner. Aman is also a very good PKer. Not saying Motte was bad but at the end of the day he was overall somewhat effective, much like Aman. Nils doesn't hit much but his choice of coverage angles and speed accomplishes much of the same. The puck staying out of our net.

I'll disagree here.

Motte when he was healthy was absolutely a top notch 4th liner. He was fast, he was physical, he chipped in goals, he was strong defensively and elite on the PK.

The problem was that his body couldn't hack his play style and out of the ~300 games he was on a Canuck roster for over four years, between injuries/not being 100% etc. was actually saw the 'best Motte' for maybe 80-100 games.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Also the Motte at the start of his canucks tenure was more at the level of Matthew Highmore but by then end of it was a 3rd line level player (who couldn't stay healthy).

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Also the Motte at the start of his canucks tenure was more at the level of Matthew Highmore but by then end of it was a 3rd line level player (who couldn't stay healthy).
Matthew Highmore out here taking strays

1727977979161.png

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I'll disagree here.

Motte when he was healthy was absolutely a top notch 4th liner. He was fast, he was physical, he chipped in goals, he was strong defensively and elite on the PK.

The problem was that his body couldn't hack his play style and out of the ~300 games he was on a Canuck roster for over four years, between injuries/not being 100% etc. was actually saw the 'best Motte' for maybe 80-100 games.

Fair enough. I liked him but didn't think he was elite. To each their own. His body definitely couldn't keep up so you are correct. Maybe he was elite besides that.

I still think Aman is decent and just don't get the detractors. I mean sure we all want elite guys at every position but it's hard to do that in a salary cap world. Like I've said before, if we can replace him with someone better of course I'm all game. He could be out of the league in a couple years but I think he's also showed potential when I don't think many people here even knew who he was 2 years ago. I don't get those who just want him gone without any replacement.

Reactions: alternate

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. I liked him but didn't think he was elite. To each their own. His body definitely couldn't keep up so you are correct. Maybe he was elite besides that.

He was literally carrying a quality 3rd line at one point here. That's an elite 4th liner.

I still think Aman is decent and just don't get the detractors. I mean sure we all want elite guys at every position but it's hard to do that in a salary cap world. Like I've said before, if we can replace him with someone better of course I'm all game. He could be out of the league in a couple years but I think he's also showed potential when I don't think many people here even knew who he was 2 years ago. I don't get those who just want him gone without any replacement.

Agreed here.

Fans like 'exciting' and 'new' and Aman is the world's most boring player who has been around for a couple years and just is what he is and isn't going to change. But what he does is useful.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
They'll likely send Raty to Abbotsford just because they can.

I think the real question is whether they waive Juulsen or Friedman.

Given that defensive depth is arguably the biggest weakness on the team, it seems like a much more important question than the Raty / Aman discussion.

Reactions: Jovofan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They'll likely send Raty to Abbotsford just because they can.

I think the real question is whether they waive Juulsen or Friedman.

Given that defensive depth is arguably the biggest weakness on the team, it seems like a much more important question than the Raty / Aman discussion.

Patrick Johnson was on Sekeres & Price yesterday, and he said they will probably waive one of them. I think some of it depends on the health of Suter/Hirose, though, as does Raty's situation, as there will be no point chasing LTIR if they can't make the required moves.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although hardly anybody around the league is claiming anyone, I could see a claim for either Juulsen or Friedman......both rare right shot defenders, who would be valuable as 'blueline insurance'.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I feel like Motte went from underrated here to overrated.

I thought he was underrated when I saw a lot of “he looks likes he’s doing stuff but he’s not effective” type posts

And I thought he was overrated when the 3rd liner takes became popular, especially during his sh% bender

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Motte from 2018 to 2020 was a good penalty killer but was pretty shit at even strength. In 2021 and 2022 he was a pretty good 3rd liner for us.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I never understood why Motte never got a shot on Horvat's wing. He could have helped Horvat with the tough minutes and might have had enough skill to keep up.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I feel like Motte went from underrated here to overrated.

I thought he was underrated when I saw a lot of “he looks likes he’s doing stuff but he’s not effective” type posts

And I thought he was overrated when the 3rd liner takes became popular, especially during his sh% bender
But that wasn't just because of the sh%. I can't remember who he was playing with, but his line was getting deployed like a 3rd line and they were genuinely good on both ends. And it was because of him

Reactions: MS and CanucksMJL

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
But that wasn't just because of the sh%. I can't remember who he was playing with, but his line was getting deployed like a 3rd line and they were genuinely good on both ends. And it was because of him
I'd have to go back to confirm, but I don't remember his possession stats being very good during any large sample size. Eye test wise he maybe had more confidence carrying the puck but that;s quite common when a player is on a sh% heater. I'm just not so sure that he improved that much from his 30th game as a Canuck to his 100thin terms of actual overall impact. To me he was always a high end 4th liner on a good team.

I'll take a look when I get the chance and bring it up in the former Canuck thread

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I want to say Juho Lammiko and Highmore. Pure junk. Really impressive he got those results with those linemates

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd have to go back to confirm, but I don't remember his possession stats being very good during any large sample size. Eye test wise he maybe had more confidence carrying the puck but that;s quite common when a player is on a sh% heater. I'm just not so sure that he improved that much from his 30th game as a Canuck to his 100thin terms of actual overall impact. To me he was always a high end 4th liner on a good team.

I'll take a look when I get the chance and bring it up in the former Canuck thread

Possession stats are never good for checking lines getting <40% o-zone starts.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Possession stats are never good for checking lines getting <40% o-zone starts.
I agree, but I try to look at it through that context. Like to me Nic Dowd's line in Washington has been an elite checking line over the years given the usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad