Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
When the upside of a player is being on the 4th line and not getting lit up, the bar is low.

Like looking around the bar at 2am before the lights come on low.
I too miss the days of having a $15 million dollar 4th line, but the best option with a salary cap is to pay league minimum to 4th liners as often as possible based on their ice time.

Also having a $15 million 4th line was f***ing awful.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The one thing he's good at is causing the other team to also do nothing when he's on the ice.

He's just an extremely low-event player both ways who you can insert onto the 4th line and know he'll play the system and gum up the works for the opponent and won't hurt you.

Exactly, not like the bums we've been trying up to this point. Can always be better but at least he doesn't hurt us out there.

We've had the likes of Dries, Motte, Highmore, Petan, Dowling, Lammikko, and Gaudette, going back to Beagle before that. How quick people are to judgement before thinking about what the situation actually is. If there are better $850,000 4th line centers available by all means sign me up.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The one thing he's good at is causing the other team to also do nothing when he's on the ice.

He's just an extremely low-event player both ways who you can insert onto the 4th line and know he'll play the system and gum up the works for the opponent and won't hurt you.

Also blocks shots at a fairly high rate, which is an endearing trait if you're a coach.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I can do worse! I will confine you to the Oilers board!
1727919315303.png

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Exactly, not like the bums we've been trying up to this point. Can always be better but at least he doesn't hurt us out there.

We've had the likes of Dries, Motte, Highmore, Petan, Dowling, Lammikko, and Gaudette, going back to Beagle before that. How quick people are to judgement before thinking about what the situation actually is. If there are better $850,000 4th line centers available by all means sign me up.
Weird to lump Motte into that group.

Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think a lot of players can easily spend a couple of seasons on an NHL team’s 4th line. It depends on opportunity.

I’ve said this before. I think Aman will be out of the league in a couple of years time. Guys like him don’t usually last long in the NHL. Aman has a lot going for him but he might want to exert himself a bit more.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Weird to lump Motte into that group.

Yeah just listing as many as I could remember for completeness. He was probably the best of the bunch but really kind of like Aman. Low event player who didn't provide many points. Motte played a bit heavier but was never a huge guy either so their overall effectiveness is similar. Aman is still pretty early in his development but he is an effective forechecker and defender with with his height and skating ability.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think a lot of players can easily spend a couple of seasons on an NHL team’s 4th line. It depends on opportunity.

I’ve said this before. I think Aman will be out of the league in a couple of years time. Guys like him don’t usually last long in the NHL. Aman has a lot going for him but he might want to exert himself a bit more.
He will be scoring 20 goals in the finnish liiga in ~3 years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Amen is a decent to good 4th liner. Very good defensive player with excellent wheels and reach. Rarely makes a mistake and his skill is passable.

Issue is he lacks strength gets smacked around then goes timid and starts throwing pucks away vs wearing down the opposition which is what coaches hope to get from their 4th lines

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah just listing as many as I could remember for completeness. He was probably the best of the bunch but really kind of like Aman. Low event player who didn't provide many points. Motte played a bit heavier but was never a huge guy either so their overall effectiveness is similar. Aman is still pretty early in his development but he is an effective forechecker and defender with with his height and skating ability.

What? Motte wasn’t a low event player. The guy had a 200 hit season. At his best Motte was fast, played with a ton of energy, was disruptive on the forecheck, chipped in with goals, and a warrior on the PK. He lacked size and had trouble staying healthy but he was a core player type on the bottom six at his salary.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

It’s a good point, I just want to watch exciting players.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Amen is a decent to good 4th liner. Very good defensive player with excellent wheels and reach. Rarely makes a mistake and his skill is passable.

Issue is he lacks strength gets smacked around then goes timid and starts throwing pucks away vs wearing down the opposition which is what coaches hope to get from their 4th lines

Agreed, reliable player that rarely makes a mistake. Doesn’t hurt his team but doesn’t really help his team much either. Lack of size and strength becomes an issue when the intensity gets ramped way up (playoffs).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
aman is nobody. his powers are hidden. he is one of the faceless.

It's funny because I actually literally don't know what Aman looks like.

If I sat next to him at a restaurant or passed him on the street I wouldn't notice. And I'd recognize PDG or Juulsen or Woo or Dries or whoever instantly. But this guy has played nearly two full seasons as a Canuck and I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's funny because I actually literally don't know what Aman looks like.

If I sat next to him at a restaurant or passed him on the street I wouldn't notice. And I'd recognize PDG or Juulsen or Woo or Dries or whoever instantly. But this guy has played nearly two full seasons as a Canuck and I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

He's unreasonably handsome but in a very normal and generic way. Pretty sure he was a guest character on a WB teenager drama show at one point in his life.

Reactions: ziploc

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
What? Motte wasn’t a low event player. The guy had a 200 hit season. At his best Motte was fast, played with a ton of energy, was disruptive on the forecheck, chipped in with goals, and a warrior on the PK. He lacked size and had trouble staying healthy but he was a core player type on the bottom six at his salary.

Maybe my wording is off, low impact perhaps is better. Which is often a good result for a 4th liner. He did hit a tonne, and played fast but his hits didn't do a heck of a lot either. He wasn't an overly hard hitter like a Raffi Torres, Kostin, Sherwood, Clutterbuck, etc. He did chip in some timely goals for sure. He's also going into year 11 compared to Aman's 2nd.

Don't get me wrong I loved me some Motte. Point is he wasn't and isn't some incredible top notch 4th liner. Aman is also a very good PKer. Not saying Motte was bad but at the end of the day he was overall somewhat effective, much like Aman. Nils doesn't hit much but his choice of coverage angles and speed accomplishes much of the same. The puck staying out of our net.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Motte sucked.
What? I do not agree with this. Lol

Motte was a massive heart and soul player on the team. He was also a great ambassador of mental health awareness.

You never did question Motte when he was on the ice, he may not of been the most talented but he "Always" gave %110 percent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad