Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Based on those practice line rushes it looks like they're just going to favour the veterans, which is very Tocchet. Looks like they are even going to try that Forbort-Desharnais pairing, which I think is abhorrent.

Aman in for Raty on the line rushes seems to indicate they think he's ahead on the 4C chart. I suspect they'll favor Suter/Blueger at C over Raty, while Bains is just holding a spot until Joshua returns, then Hoglander will rotate down into his spot and he'll be on the farm. Aman will be carried as 13F all season as a back-up C. I suspect they're happy to have Raty rip it up in the AHL this year and then have a spot next season.

Interested to see how long Sprong sticks on that second unit, as that could shake things up.

Looking like this when healthy:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
Aman

I don't disagree and the healthy roster is in-line with how I figured it would roll out. What confuses me a bit is how Aman is viewed as a centre given he can't win face-offs and Suter is pretty bad at them as well. Raty is a big improvement over both of them while also bringing right-handed face-off ability. If Raty isn't getting into the line-up regularly, then it doesn't make much sense to keep him on the roster. Same goes for Bains.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Misc:
-acknowledges the dislike within the fan base for him
-Riccio was surprised by some of the comments on twitter but Seravalli wasn't surprised
-(doesn't seem to understand why Vancouver fans are upset with him)
-Rogers Arena was the loudest building in the playoffs
-returning to Canucks Central every Monday

Canucks:
-not as concerned about the state of Canucks goaltending
-gives all the credit in the world to the Canucks management because of how aggressive they are
-were, at one point in time, were the front runner for Guentzel
-if Tampa doesn't clear cap space, Guentzel ends up in Vancouver

Demko:
-the reason no one has any idea about his injury is because Demko doesn't have a good handle on it
-an injury that causes instability in the knee
-doesn't appear to be a fix to the injury

Lankinen:
-was looking for a different payday in the summer

Reactions: wonton15

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Losing PDG to waivers would suck, he's a reason why forward depth has held up in the face of injuries.

Yes it would suck, but it’s a good problem to have. Our forward depth was already good, and it’s great to see Raty earn a spot. It’s like losing a good player in the expansion draft. If you’re not worried about losing anyone on waivers than it means your depth probably isn’t good enough.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-will be their regular Friday guest

Miller:
-his absence was purely precautionary
-collided in the scrimmage so just wanted to be extra careful

Pre-Season:
-would be shocked if they don't reduce the number of pre-season games in the next CBA
-would then add two additional regular season games

Blueger:
-slow playing, same as Miller

Raty:
-has had an impressive camp

Canucks Prediction:
-does see a regression
-thinks they are a 100 point team

Canucks Goaltending:
-doesn't feel comfortable prognosticating Demko's situation
-his understanding is that this injury isn't something that can be repaired by surgery
-Lankinen is a smart signing
-doesn't think the Canucks will carry three goalies when all are healthy

Defencemen:
-toss-up between Forbort and Josh Brown over who was the more preplexing defensive signing of the summer
-Forbort was a healthy scratch for a big chunk of last season
-on the whole, Canucks have a top-10 defence core but it's scewed heavily by Hughes
-little premature to have a trade target list
-a few names on the trade block like Nick Robertson
-Flames will have to make a decision on Rasmus Andersson

Swayman:
-huge tactical error for the Bruins to take this public
-organization isn't used to being pushed in negotiations
-have underpaid all their stars
-Bruins wanted 6.5m earlier in the summer
-was told that the latest offer was 8y/7.8m
-believes Swayman asked for 8y/8.5m
-really helpful for a team to have one voice that is speaking for them in reference to Neely's emotions getting the better of him
-mentions this is why Rutherford has taken a step back, publicly, with the Canucks
-made a huge mistake by not taking him to arbitration

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Raty with Suter and Sherwood is a good combination.

The only surprise to me has been that Hoglander hasn’t gotten a spot next to EP.

I always assumed they’d just go with Sprong on the fourth line to start. Hoglander in his usual role alongside EP
I actually prefer Sprong there, I think he plays faster with the puck on his stick which might get Petey to also do the same, I find Petey just doesn't play fast enough when he's struggling. Both in terms of moving quickly with the puck or just moving the puck off his stick quickly instead.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes it would suck, but it’s a good problem to have. Our forward depth was already good, and it’s great to see Raty earn a spot. It’s like losing a good player in the expansion draft. If you’re not worried about losing anyone on waivers than it means your depth probably isn’t good enough.
Just goes to show that sometimes what the coaches see during a long training camp and exhibition schedule, and what fans see, can be poles apart.

From the standpoint of a 'casual observer' Bains hasn't been all that impressive in the pre-season, but he's still standing while PDG ends up on waivers. That leaves Bains, Aman and Raty battling for two of the remaining three depth forward spots.

The betting is still on Aman and Raty, because they're natural centers.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's probably reasonable to think Demko's days are numbered and the Canucks need to seek out a legitimate replacement.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I really am not sure what the Canucks are going to do to be cap compliant. There are several paths, I just don't know which one they can take. The easiest option is just start the year on LTIR. The second easiest option is to trade Poolman. Trading Poolman would actually leave them with around 1m in cap space and a full 23-man roster with Demko and Joshua on IR.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Hoglander-Blueger-Garland
Suter-Raty-Sherwood
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Friedman/Juulsen

Lankinen
Silovs

IR:
Poolman, Demko, & Joshua

With this roster they are at 1.52m over the cap. Trading Poolman would get them under the cap and with Raty waiver-exempt they could send him down on days off to toll extra space.

Raty sent down and one of Juulsen/Friedman waived?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Raty sent down and one of Juulsen/Friedman waived?

It works but unless Joshua is back soon, that puts them at 21/23 with a 0.09m under the cap. At that point you aren't actually gaining any significant capspace through accrual. Might as well just go on LTIR and run with a full roster.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Defencemen:
-toss-up between Forbort and Josh Brown over who was the more preplexing defensive signing of the summer
-Forbort was a healthy scratch for a big chunk of last season
-on the whole, Canucks have a top-10 defence core but it's scewed heavily by Hughes
-little premature to have a trade target list
-a few names on the trade block like Nick Robertson
-Flames will have to make a decision on Rasmus Andersson

I wonder what it would take to get Andersson. Allvin does seem to have a good trading relationship with Conroy.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
I actually prefer Sprong there, I think he plays faster with the puck on his stick which might get Petey to also do the same, I find Petey just doesn't play fast enough when he's struggling. Both in terms of moving quickly with the puck or just moving the puck off his stick quickly instead.
I’m more curious as to what happens when Joshua is back. Does Hoglander take Sprong’s spot? Does he move down to the 4th?

Also, to me it’s clear Raty should develop in the NHL this year. How he fits with a full roster requires Canucks losing another player. Without that, he will be in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad