Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Moving forward, our continuing Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and Fantasy GM Threads will be named in honour of @Grub .

A long-time, high quality contributor to HF Van, Grub is battling Stage 4 Cancer. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Moving forward, our continuing Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and Fantasy GM Threads will be named in honour of @Grub .

A long-time, high quality contributor to HF Van, Grub is battling Stage 4 Cancer. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Man this really sucks and is a reminder to spend quality time with family and loved ones as everyone is living on borrowed time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You ain't lying. That's literally the exact same colour scheme.

Also definitely in its infancy. Lacking a lot and the GM Mode isn't even worth looking at yet.
Hopefully it's just a starting point and they make it even better than cap friendly was.:thumbu:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
many RFAs are unisgned now around the league. it's just negotiating.

Booo at this response. We should be speculating since it's the dog days of summer and nothing much is happening.

There is a chance Silovs COULD be wanting a sure role at #1 and COULD be holding out for a trade!

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I posted about wanting to pick up Sanheim for cheap last year, he was getting cratered by being stuck with Risto, Deangelo and 36 y/o Braun. I'd still love it.

Just like his bounceback was predictable, if he got pushed down from being used like a #1 into either a second pairing role or as the complementary player for Hughes there'd be a massive change in perception of him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I posted about wanting to pick up Sanheim for cheap last year, he was getting cratered by being stuck with Risto, Deangelo and 36 y/o Braun. I'd still love it.

Just like his bounceback was predictable, if he got pushed down from being used like a #1 into either a second pairing role or as the complementary player for Hughes there'd be a massive change in perception of him.

I highly doubt the Flyers are currently looking to trade him, but it would be something to look at closer to the deadline if they struggle again.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
If we're going to use assets to get a defenseman I don't think there's a better target than Andersson.

Reactions: Chiripa20

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sanheim isn't a shutdown defencemen, he's a very good two-way guy. There's no comparison between him and OEL. If you acquire him now he's paid significantly less, is two years younger, and is coming off an excellent bounce-back season where he was an all-situations number one defender on a cobbled together team playing above their heads. Benning paid a massive cost for a hugely distressed asset on an expensive long-term contract. I'd propose acquiring Sanheim with Johansen for a fairly minimal cost (Hoglander or Podkolzin).

That said, Sanheim wouldn't be my primary target.

The OEL comp is that you are paying a premium acquisition cost plus having a big cap hit to a 2nd pair defender that wont be used in PP situations and hasn't really shown to be a top end shut down defender.
We dumped Roussel, Eriksson, and Beagle's cap hit in the deal. We definitely did not manage to essentially dump those contracts + get Garland for the 9th overall pick.

I like Sanheim but I think the year before it was reported that nobody was willing to take on his contract for free. He's had a nice bounceback season, but I'm not sure his trade value is all that high.

I kind of see Sanheim as more like a Tyler Myers. Good when he has the puck on his stick but prone to bad pinches and defensive reads. Sanheim is probably better overall at the same age but Myers is much more physical and is a RHD.

An absurd comparison. Sanheim is not a 2nd pair defender, does not need to play PP1 in order to be useful to a team (in fact, he doesn't in Philadelphia), and if acquired this season will be 2 years younger and $2M cheaper than OEL. He's also not dependent on physical tools (like OEL and his mobility) so far likelier to be effective through the life of his contract. He will also not cost a premium price (or at least if he does, the Canucks should hang up the phone).
Coyotes retained some salary so OEL's cap hit was only about $1M more than Sanheim's.

I think OEL is underrated around here. He was overpaid and no longer the Dman he was in his prime (and OEL's prime was much higher than what Sanheim has shown). I think if Sanheim loses a step he would not be as good as the OEL we saw in his first season here and in Florida. To me, OEL is smarter at defending and is stronger in terms of winning puck battles. As we saw with OEL in Florida Ekblad went down with injury, he is still capable of producing offensively. That's not to say OEL is anywhere near being a top pairing Dman. He has obviously declined from his prime days and had to adjust his game. But keep him away from Tocchet's system and put him aside a solid partner and I think he's still a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. It's too bad we were paying him over $7M.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Should we read anything into the fact that Silovs doesn't yet have a contract with the Canucks, and they gave Jiri Patera a two-year agreement? Maybe it's just a case of the Canucks manipulating the cap in the off-season......but the longer it goes on, the more questions linger.
No, we shouldn't read anything into it.

They gave him 2 years with a high minors salary to deter other teams from claiming him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Because they're a rebuilding team, he has an NTC, and he's signed long-term.

Good players that are awkward roster/contractual fits are often traded for little return. Look at the Jakob Chychrun or Ryan McDonagh trades.
McDonagh is 34/35 and was 32/33 when TB had to try and move him to stay in a contention cycle past his prime with a big ticket

Chychrun has an awful injury history has never shown to be a reliable defender in a big role and now he's looking for a retirement contract. Probably looking for 7-8 million and term

Many teams don't want any part of that which combined with when they decided to move him made for a bad marketplace.

It's a big gamble for WASH and Jensen is a really good defenseman who only comes with 2yrs at a good cap hit. He should help bring some leadership and RD that are actually top4 worthy are valuable. Strange deal for sure. Staois seems like a bad hire

Reactions: andora

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Trout Lake makes all kinds of sense for a practice facility

1720837208093.png

could build a 2nd arena where the all weather field is located and run as a Canucks exclusive practice facility combined with a junior development program using both rinks. Seen this exact set up in Pittsburgh and they have had huge success with it not just for the NHL club and development players but with running a top quality program for youths.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I bet you the Canucks won't touch their roster until training camp. If I'm wrong I'll French kiss everyone here. If I'm right I still will.
I expect their next trade to be immediately in season where moving Tucker Poolman's contract is no problem at all.

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I expect their next trade to be immediately in season where moving Tucker Poolman's contract is no problem at all.
maybe adding poolmans contract alongside a roster player example: hoglander/podkolzin to get a defenseman back.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Trout Lake makes all kinds of sense for a practice facility

View attachment 894602

could build a 2nd arena where the all weather field is located and run as a Canucks exclusive practice facility combined with a junior development program using both rinks. Seen this exact set up in Pittsburgh and they have had huge success with it not just for the NHL club and development players but with running a top quality program for youths.

I'd prefer you stab me in the eye before you give up part of Trout Lake park to Aqualini and the Canucks, and if I feel that way, you can bet my neighbours will basically burn the building down.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I highly doubt the Flyers are currently looking to trade him, but it would be something to look at closer to the deadline if they struggle again.
They have 4 NHL-level defensemen over the age of 25 - Sanheim, Seeler (extended him for 4 more years during the season), Ristolainen, and Erik Johnson (vibes/veteran leader guy on a 1 year deal). Everyone else in their system is 24 and under and prospects playing in the AHL/junior.

I think they'll try to trade Risto before Sanheim, for obvious reasons. I also think they're planning on being fairly bad this year, they've got 6 picks in the first 2 rounds of the 2025 draft and Briere has pretty much said that they think this upcoming draft is much stronger than the 2024 draft.

Briere seems to value holding onto his older core guys unless he's offered an overpayment. Rumour is that he turned down a 1st for Laughton last offseason.

My feeling is that we'd have to offer a lot to get a guy like Sanheim. Only way I can maybe see him requesting or approving a trade is if Konecny ends up getting traded instead of extended.
If we're going to use assets to get a defenseman I don't think there's a better target than Andersson.
Flames and Flyers aren't in entirely dissimilar situations at the moment actually. I think we'd have more leverage with Conroy if Andersson requested a trade and had a longer no trade list, I believe he only has a 6 team NTC. If only he wasn't on a division rival, lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Briere liking this draft isn’t going to change how Torts ices his roster. He’s going to put out the guys he feels he can win with. And play those he wants.
Torts knows this is his final HC stop. So no point in doing things any other way than he’s used to.

Draft position be damned.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So when do you think Canucks are going to start making some moves/trades again?
We still need a Puck moving D, Silovs Signed, and maybe more depth in the top 6

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad