GDT: 2024 UFL Thread

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Birmingham has this won, it's 25-0 with 2 minutes left. 3 out of 3 championships
I wonder if the UFL will take any steps to increase parity going forward. The old AAFC failed in large part because the Browns utterly dominated every other team in the league each year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if the UFL will take any steps to increase parity going forward. The old AAFC failed in large part because the Browns utterly dominated every other team in the league each year.
AAFC ran as a rival league, it’s not at all the same.

Also isn’t what happened. The AAFC tried to share some of its markets (which hurt both leagues), and didn’t have owners committed to losing money to keep the league up, to which is very similar to past spring leagues. We’ll have to wait for the reporting of the UFL made or lost money. Either way, they don’t seem to be in danger of folding.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I forgot to say that Chase Garbers had one of the most gutless performance i have ever seen. You don't go to war with someone like that.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The Army is seemingly having buyer's remorse after an $11 million marketing deal with the United Football League and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

The high-dollar, high-profile deal likely didn't lead to a single new Army recruit and may possibly have had a negative impact on finding new enlistments, internal documents and emails reviewed by Military.com show. The service may even seek to get some of its money back.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016

The Army is seemingly having buyer's remorse after an $11 million marketing deal with the United Football League and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

The high-dollar, high-profile deal likely didn't lead to a single new Army recruit and may possibly have had a negative impact on finding new enlistments, internal documents and emails reviewed by Military.com show. The service may even seek to get some of its money back.
I'm rooting for the UFL, so I was sorry to see this. It's an embarrassment for the league.. really bad optics.
But in fairness, I don't think the UFL did a poor job promoting the military.. it's more that young Americans are increasingly realizing current American foreign policy is uninspiring. There's almost no self-interests for the average American in today's foreign/military policy.

There's still the draw of military benefits (health care & school subsidies etc), but.. I think as long as American foreign policy is incoherent and the American empire is in decline.. military enlistments will stay flat or shrivel.. no matter how they choose to advertise it.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
They claim the Rock only made 2 of his agreed upon 5 social media posts promoting their partnership
That makes sense then, if there was a clear failure to honor a contractual condition.
This sucks tho, bad press for a fledgling league.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I'm rooting for the UFL, so I was sorry to see this. It's an embarrassment for the league.. really bad optics.
But in fairness, I don't think the UFL did a poor job promoting the military.. it's more that young Americans are increasingly realizing current American foreign policy is uninspiring. There's almost no self-interests for the average American in today's foreign/military policy.

There's still the draw of military benefits (health care & school subsidies etc), but.. I think as long as American foreign policy is incoherent and the American empire is in decline.. military enlistments will stay flat or shrivel.. no matter how they choose to advertise it.
Military is losing it from former military because of the GWOT (global war on terror) and "people talking". You can learn the "real life" from those who lived it without the "window dressing" you assume is related to military life as a civilian. The humor channels provide satire that makes you laugh, but the scenarios, if taken seriously, are such that would wake and deter a delusional recruit in previous generations. I mean, just watching all of Yusha Thomas's youtube vids, and you'll get a sense of what Army is like. And even Thomas himself might have some skeletons in his closet.

Lujan and WhistlinDiesel(featuring her) has done more to fish recruits than football.

Enlistment is essentially signing up to be a janitor with flair and then a disposable grunt if things get "hot".
Also, the military has some checks to make sure it can't threaten the top. The two-tier system of officers and enlisted plus the hostile environment basically is designed so most don't stick around too long.

Also, reading that...lots of army BS in there. Even the "loss" of 38 enlistments sounds like painting victimhood and the internal dispute on whether to sign the deal. Welcome to the dog-eat-dog nature of the Army.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad