Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Eh, I think it's fair to say he overperformed wrt shooting, but I also agree with Allvin that the effort wasn't there from Boeser in the latter half of the season. I and others commented multiple times about Boeser's resurgence in the first half being due to his increased work ethic, and lamented his play in the second half when he seemed to regress back to his old ways. There was a specific game against the Kings late in the season where he completely disengaged from the play leading to a goal against. I'm glad he got it back in the playoffs, though.

Exactly.

He came out with a much higher compete level early in the season and was rewarded for it, but after getting up to 25-30 goals mid-seasonish that compete level dropped and the old bad habits started to creep back into his game.

His numbers down the stretch look much like his numbers from prior years and it isn't just his SH% that fell - his SOG were down by nearly a shot/game. And yeah, those sorts of totally disengaged plays with low compete level started popping up relatively frequently.

As you say, he did right the ship in the playoffs though.

Totally fair comment from Allvin, although surprised he made it public. But I also don't think it's by accident that he made it public.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Exactly.

He came out with a much higher compete level early in the season and was rewarded for it, but after getting up to 25-30 goals mid-seasonish that compete level dropped and the old bad habits started to creep back into his game.

His numbers down the stretch look much like his numbers from prior years and it isn't just his SH% that fell - his SOG were down by nearly a shot/game. And yeah, those sorts of totally disengaged plays with low compete level started popping up relatively frequently.

As you say, he did right the ship in the playoffs though.

Totally fair comment from Allvin, although surprised he made it public. But I also don't think it's by accident that he made it public.
Exactly.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
1726679985422.png

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
All those things are certainly true, but I can't recall a time when a manager has accounted for a "lull" in a veteran's performance by suggesting that his effort declined after he reached a goal total.

I can't think of anything off on the top of my head but I'm thinking it does happen? I mean the Sedins were coming off a season where they led the team in scoring and Gillis questioned whether they were front line players. I think Burke was more outspoken in his criticisms of rookies but he certainly wasn't shy offering his transport services. Usually the comments are more PC like saying a player has more to give.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I can't think of anything off on the top of my head but I'm thinking it does happen? I mean the Sedins were coming off a season where they led the team in scoring and Gillis questioned whether they were front line players. I think Burke was more outspoken in his criticisms of rookies but he certainly wasn't shy offering his transport services. Usually the comments are more PC like saying a player has more to give.
Those were unusual in themselves, but there's a sense in which the Boeser comment goes even further, suggesting as it does a kind of selfishness on the player's part. (Maybe Vigneault's public questioning of Hodgson's character, which he should have publicly apologized for when it turned out that yes, it was a good idea for Hodgson to get a second medical opinion.)

Reactions: supercanuck

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We're only a year off of Boeser getting overrated/lazy comments from the chiclets guys. And I don't listen to their pod or care for their opinions, but that was the industry perception.

I think PA's comments were on the nose !!

Reactions: andora

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The league and NHLPA let Arizona get to the cap floor by trading for multiple players that were on Robidas island and were never going to play again. I don’t know how they would let that slide but go after a team that was over the floor until a 10m dollar player tragically died weeks before training camp.
I don't understand your logic here. Nobody is saying the league wouldn't let Columbus get to the floor using the same method Arizona used (you called it Robidas Island) which is entirely within the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad