Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I really don’t think this is a terrible opinion they have the Canucks third. Not out of the realm of possibilities. There is clear top 3 in pacific division, and then everyone else. I don’t find this disrespectful. Putting the Canucks behind the Kraken and Kings would be disrespectful.

Yeah, this team should make the playoffs based on sheer talent and Tocchet's system, but there are some valid concerns.
  • Demko injury status
  • JT and Brock regression - will they sustain 19% shooting?
  • EP back to form
  • Soucy/Myers 2nd pairing
  • Tocchet adjusting system for more offense

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I really don’t think this is a terrible opinion they have the Canucks third. Not out of the realm of possibilities. There is clear top 3 in pacific division, and then everyone else. I don’t find this disrespectful. Putting the Canucks behind the Kraken and Kings would be disrespectful.

It's not. The Canucks are probably likely to regress from the regular season performance last season. I say "likely" because obviously there is a range of outcomes that includes them matching over outperforming. Still, I'd argue that's on the lower probability end of the spectrum given the underlying stats on their run last year (and Demko's health issues).

The question is more about "how much" they will regress off the 109-point performance. They are still probably heavily favoured to make the playoffs, but I don't think they'll necessarily be in the running for the Presidents' Trophy this year. The top of the Pacific will be a three-horse race, obviously, and having them finish behind Vegas isn't totally unreasonable.

Reactions: BimJenning

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Once again the Canucks are the NHL's version of Rodney Dangerfield--no respect. The Sportsnet Pacific Division preview is out, and they have the Canucks not only finishing behind Edmonton, but even behind Vegas.

In the writer's assessment, what the Canucks accomplished last season is 'unsustainable' and they're the major 'regression pick' around the entire NHL. But best the enter the season with a chip on your shoulder, I guess.

It's not as if the media 'talking heads' are never wrong.
I don't mind the ranking because I think it will be close between the 3 teams in the Pacific, but the reasoning behind it weren't great. He concluded that offensive production will decline based on the believe that a high shooting percentage from the previous season is unsustainable and disregarding team personnel entirely.

He also proclaimed that goaltending was going to be an issue without really knowing what the health status of Demko was. It was if he already assumed they were going to be injured though out the season and won't be effective. Meanwhile, that same writer, ranked Colorado high on the assumption that Landeskog and Nikushkin were going to return and be 100 percent effective for them.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
My biggest concern is our 3C, not necessarily for the regular season but for the Playoffs. I don't see any apparent options to address that through trade as of yet.

I operate under the assumption that M. Pettersson will be added to our defense before the deadline.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
My biggest concern is our 3C, not necessarily for the regular season but for the Playoffs. I don't see any apparent options to address that through trade as of yet.

I operate under the assumption that M. Pettersson will be added to our defense before the deadline.
On the flip side that is a bit of beauty with this system .. the system supports a 4 line game but it creates a flow that allows whichever line to defend the same

The shadow third line center fluctuates in importance based on the system and parts being used in my opinion. If your roster is a bit more sporadic in approach it becomes more important

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
On the flip side that is a bit of beauty with this system .. the system supports a 4 line game but it creates a flow that allows whichever line to defend the same

The shadow third line center fluctuates in importance based on the system and parts being used in my opinion. If your roster is a bit more sporadic in approach it becomes more important
You're kinda saying with everyone on the same page(the correct page) relatively with regards to defensive responsibilities that it's a little less important to have that super adult in the room, standout, nails two way play 3C. I think, anyway.

Reactions: andora

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would be very interested to see the justification for that. Maybe just better studios in Van? Seems strange.
Nothing against Brendan Bachelor and his co-host, but since every Canuck game home-and-away is carried on Sportsnet, it makes you wonder if anyone actually listens to the Canuck radio broadcasts anymore......I suppose if you're traveling somewhere in your car during game-time.....but that's probably about it.

Reactions: theguardianII

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I can think of many times where I've been at work or whatever, where I've listened to the game on my phone when it was appropriate or available to have a TV on.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That’s f***ing stupid. Media really should be asking him about this.
Things might not be so rosy in the room.

Loose lips sink ships. If there is an internal issue then keeping media away prevents some of those leaks.

Big mistake having the major media carrier controlling content.
It turns reporting into an arm of the marketing division, all rainbows and lollipops no matter the real situation.

Main owner of media - Rogers, arena sponsor - Rogers, media employer - Rogers. Does anyone actually believe anything heard is not for Rogers first?
In partnership with the team to say anything to fill the arena and help marketing.
Remember how the Canucks "youth" were the same players for 6/7 years? Even now that is preached. Sure 26 yrs old isn't old in the mainstream public but in hockey terms that is hitting their prime. How many cup finalists/winners were led by 23 yr old somethings? Or had multiple players under 26 yrs old? Canucks might have 3 players under 25 yrs old this coming season. The "window" is closing and the cap conundrum combined with some hitting the back side of the play due to aging coming isn't going to help.

So far the team has muted some "reporters", especially those that won't play ball with the team message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad