Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
if they're going to drop the orca they should do a complete rebrand. the skate and the stick in rink are both terrible branding and should be left in the past

especially the black/red/yellow color scheme needs to be buried

This is where I’m at. Stop catering to nostalgia and forge an actual strong lasting identity.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
if they're going to drop the orca they should do a complete rebrand. the skate and the stick in rink are both terrible branding and should be left in the past

This probably won't happen. They've done it too much already, and have a bevy of jerseys in the closet. I also don't think that colour scheme is going anywhere ... if anything it is probably going to become more prominent as it has a heavy following in the fanbase, and some fans in the organization, including Allvin and JT Miller. I believe there was a comment last year that Allvin was open to switching back full-time to the black unis.

But I don't think the blue and green is going anywhere either, for a number of reasons mentioned, and I recall ownership is a fan of that colour scheme. I expect the uneasy truce between the skate and the blue-green jerseys to remain the norm, with varying degrees of use. Need to maximize merchandise sales.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Of the logos in the NHL & team name, Canucks are one where you can't have an idea of the team name. You see an orca, so not going to guess slang for Canadian. Rangers, Bruins, have been around too long for people to question their logos, but Rangers was originally a military name but their 3rds have always been that Statue of Liberty over the past couple of decades. Bruins, it's a B, no image or sense of a Bruin in that logo, only on their shoulder patches.

But, really what is a Canuck? If they were going to do a Lumberjack look (redo Johnny Canuck), it should have been done when the change was made from skate to orca before the Giants came into the WHL and used a lumberjack.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Of the logos in the NHL & team name, Canucks are one where you can't have an idea of the team name. You see an orca, so not going to guess slang for Canadian. Rangers, Bruins, have been around too long for people to question their logos, but Rangers was originally a military name but their 3rds have always been that Statue of Liberty over the past couple of decades. Bruins, it's a B, no image or sense of a Bruin in that logo, only on their shoulder patches.

But, really what is a Canuck? If they were going to do a Lumberjack look (redo Johnny Canuck), it should have been done when the change was made from skate to orca before the Giants came into the WHL and used a lumberjack.
This is more what the actual Canuck name refers to:

1724603486686.png

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Who cares? It's not like the 'wild', 'predators' or 'kings' have a particularly strong association with any physical concept.

Orca is great. Don't love the jerseys but it's a great local tie in, until the southern resident orcas die off. Aqua et al really should be leaning into environmental awareness and restoration. The amount of volunteers they could mobilize to conduct salmon habitat restoration would be incredible.

Genuinely surprise they haven't. It's a low cost, high PR return move both now and in the future.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Should have called themselves Aviators/Pilots instead of Canucks if that is what a Canuck really was.
Well, they were named back in 1945 in reference to this war-time comic book:

1724604311875.png

Who cares? It's not like the 'wild', 'predators' or 'kings' have a particularly strong association with any physical concept.

Orca is great. Don't love the jerseys but it's a great local tie in, until the southern resident orcas die off. Aqua et al really should be leaning into environmental awareness and restoration. The amount of volunteers they could mobilize to conduct salmon habitat restoration would be incredible.

Genuinely surprise they haven't. It's a low cost, high PR return move both now and in the future.
Agreed. This would be a solid, good, and relatively easy thing to do. Which is why it almost certainly won't happen.

Reactions: jd22

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Well, they were named back in 1945 in reference to this war-time comic book:

View attachment 903130

Agreed. This would be a solid, good, and relatively easy thing to do. Which is why it almost certainly won't happen.

It really boggles my mind that the Canucks have not leaned into environmental restoration in any way. They have a huge step up on any other team in the league here, being in the PNW where salmon are a historic way of life with most indigenous communities. It's such a no-brainer, high value low cost excellent PR move that can actually do some good. Why the f*** aren't they? Seriously: Aqua, hire 3 people to head up a Canucks - BC environmental restoration group, spend their salary again on materials/transport for restoration activities per year, and get tens of thousands of volunteers for hundreds of thousands of hours of free labour restoring habitat each year.

The PR value alone exceeds the salaries of 3 people a thousandfold, not to mention the economic, environmental and ecological benefits therein.

Why isn't this happening?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It is interesting that two other teams in the same division have switched back to their logos from the 80’s/90’s time period. Could the Canucks follow that same path? It does appear they’re slowly transitioning that way.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
It really boggles my mind that the Canucks have not leaned into environmental restoration in any way. They have a huge step up on any other team in the league here, being in the PNW where salmon are a historic way of life with most indigenous communities. It's such a no-brainer, high value low cost excellent PR move that can actually do some good. Why the f*** aren't they? Seriously: Aqua, hire 3 people to head up a Canucks - BC environmental restoration group, spend their salary again on materials/transport for restoration activities per year, and get tens of thousands of volunteers for hundreds of thousands of hours of free labour restoring habitat each year.

The PR value alone exceeds the salaries of 3 people a thousandfold, not to mention the economic, environmental and ecological benefits therein.

Why isn't this happening?

The more I think about it, the more I am in disbelief this hasn't occurred. Imagine being able to trot out, once every 3 home games, 'honorary guests from XYZ first nation in XYZ BC where Canucks for Salmon has restored XYZ number of hectares of salmon habitat, leading to XYZ% increase in salmon stocks over the last five years". EVERYONE wants good environmental news. It would be the simplest thing for Aqua to hitch the Canucks brand to environmental causes on the side. And everyone would be in favour - even people who hate the Canucks.

f*** me Aqua. Get to it.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The more I think about it, the more I am in disbelief this hasn't occurred. Imagine being able to trot out, once every 3 home games, 'honorary guests from XYZ first nation in XYZ BC where Canucks for Salmon has restored XYZ number of hectares of salmon habitat, leading to XYZ% increase in salmon stocks over the last five years". EVERYONE wants good environmental news. It would be the simplest thing for Aqua to hitch the Canucks brand to environmental causes on the side. And everyone would be in favour - even people who hate the Canucks.

f*** me Aqua. Get to it.
I'm sure someone already has, but you should make this recommendation.

Heck, I have some friends from some Indigenous communities who might be up for making this recommendation. Communities especially the further north you go along the coast are massive Canucks fans.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I'm sure someone already has, but you should make this recommendation.

Heck, I have some friends from some Indigenous communities who might be up for making this recommendation. Communities especially the further north you go along the coast are massive Canucks fans.

I don't have the ties or contacts in BC to do so. I currently work as a marine ecologist specializing in marine restoration in Europe, though I'm from BC. If you contact them and would like to set up a meeting suggesting the bare-bones first steps, I'm more than willing to have some meetings. However, indigenous communities generally know what to do better than academically trained people.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yeah I looked up the pre-season schedule yesterday, still too far away.

The nhl season always starts and ends a month too late, it's really dumb and annoying.

Short days and crappy weather in September where we see ourselves mostly staying indoors? No hockey.

Longer days with nice weather in May and June? Play on bitches!

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Nostalgia isn't the only reason the black jerseys are well liked. Its because they look the slickest and if you disagree you have poor taste. Or maybe we can blame it on your aversion to the Canucks of the 90's that you have a bad memory of.
I prefer green/blue being our colours but yeah, it looks extremely slick and is basically the perfect alternate.

This is coming from someone born in 99.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Id be happiest if they kept the orca but changed to the team Germany colours. Black orca, red ice, yellow outlines and accents

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I don't have the ties or contacts in BC to do so. I currently work as a marine ecologist specializing in marine restoration in Europe, though I'm from BC. If you contact them and would like to set up a meeting suggesting the bare-bones first steps, I'm more than willing to have some meetings. However, indigenous communities generally know what to do better than academically trained people.
I would throw my hat into the ring, I manage Vancouver Islands sites for a prominent Waste Company and work quite closely with Vancouver operations, we're all about the Environmental I would try pushing buttons on this

We even have a box at Roger's already

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed. I've asked a friend of mine to ask the leaders in his nation if they might be interested in such a partnership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad