Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

there's not that much difference between putting poolman on ltir and trading him if you are signing lankinen to a 2m/yr deal. you could get maybe 4-5m in deadline cap space if you traded poolman but you can probably do one of those fancy double retention deadline deals for less draft picks than it'll cost to move poolman

Reactions: aregora and TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
there's not that much difference between putting poolman on ltir and trading him if you are signing lankinen to a 2m/yr deal. you could get maybe 4-5m in deadline cap space if you traded poolman but you can probably do one of those fancy double retention deadline deals for less draft picks than it'll cost to move poolman

Yes, I think if Demko is out to start the season, and you like Lankinen ... you just say screw it and use Poolman's LTIR. That alone should give you enough space.

Reactions: aregora

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Yes, I think if Demko is out to start the season, and you like Lankinen ... you just say screw it and use Poolman's LTIR. That alone should give you enough space.
I'm at a point where I'm not trusting Demko when he comes back.Gonna be good for 5 games then on the shelf again.

Reactions: David71

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Poor Silovs if they can do it, but he IS waiver eligible.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Poor Silovs if they can do it, but he IS waiver eligible.

I doubt there was much interest in Silovs being the starter anywhere but Abbotsford, so somewhat inevitable if Demko is possibly questionable to start the year.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
My interpretation if they’re going after Lankinen is Demko’s camp is going to slow cook this return and this isn’t a month or two thing. Otherwise I don’t see how signing Lankinen for Demko to return after a week of the season is beneficial for Lankinen & Silovs.

If it was indeed just camp and preseason, you’d just sign a PTO goalie or guy you want to waive.

Woodley was saying to expect some decent goalies on waivers.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I really don’t want us spending money on another goalie unless it’s a league min contract. Hell no to Lankinen

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don’t know what these words mean in this order.
Honestly it’s different depending on how you interpret “clear”.

Hughes clears Pettersson (Pettersson better)
Hughes clears Pettersson (Hughes better)

I usually interpret it the 2nd way. I don’t think Nucker101 meant it that way tho

Or did he

1724378118467.gif

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm never sold on goaltenders until we have bigger sample size at the NHL level.

A lot of fans were high on Alex Auld back in 2003. Guy eventually showed he flat out sucked with a bigger workload.
Not saying that goaltending doesn't matter at all....but more than few NHL teams have gone a long way with ordinary goaltending. Edmonton went to the Cup Final with Skinner last season, whom I rate as only slightly about 'average'. And Vegas won a Cup with Aiden Hill and Logan Thompson. They're decent goaltenders, but hardly Vezina candidates. And of course the Leafs win a lot of games--at least in the regular season--with a rotating cast of guys in the crease.

As long as your goalie can make the saves he's supposed to make, and you have a good team in front of him, you still should be able to win a lot of games and get into the playoffs.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm never sold on goaltenders until we have bigger sample size at the NHL level.

A lot of fans were high on Alex Auld back in 2003. Guy eventually showed he flat out sucked with a bigger workload.

Oh man... this is the que for me to bring up... o_O the legendary Canucks goalie who "outplayed" Luongo and Miller. :deadhorse

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not sure what 'flaws' you're referring to. By the time you get to the conference semi-finals, the only teams left standing are the best eight teams in the NHL. And when you're playing a seven-game series against one of the top teams in the NHL night after night, the goalie under supreme duress.

And in the Canucks case, you're relying on your young goalie to shut down McDavid and Draisaitl, and a lethal PP. Silovs was hardly the reason the Canucks bowed out to the Oilers. Losing Boeser for gave #7 and Pettersson's relative ineffectiveness were far bigger factors.

When the regular season starts, and the Canucks are playing the likes of the Ducks, Sharks, Flames and the Kings, the Canucks should be just fine with Silovs between the pipes. If they could win with DeSmith last year; they can win with Silovs this year.
He's been a .907 and .909 goaltender in Abby. That doesn't scream "NHL starter".

I think he played over his head in the playoffs, mostly off adrenaline. He is super athletic, but that can get him pulled out of position sometimes.

We've seen time and again some rando goalie go on a heater for two weeks or a month. And then they're suddenly out of the league. I'm not saying that will happen to Silovs, but I'm not taking as given that the club is totally fine without Demko, especially given the club needed absolutely sterling goaltending from him in his first ~40 games to put them in position to win the division.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Management does not want to handicap the team like the Devils did or the Oilers, with Campbell to start the season. Even if they are fully confident that Silovs could be a starter for most of the season, they probably aren't confident that Patera can spell him enough. I suspect they'd much rather have someone like Lankinen rotate with Silovs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I've been pondering this for a few years now...since you very rarely see goalies getting 60 starts, and 70 never happens anymore. When I began, there was like 5-10 guys each year getting 65+ games. For that reason, I really think Luongo's 06-07 campaign will be forever underrated. 76 starts with a 92+ SV% is ethereal.
I don't think we'll ever see a goalie get that many starts again. The demands of the position are too much. Unbelievable that Lou was able to do that.

Today, goalies need to be managed better. Especially if you have a guy with an injury history. The decisions on Demko need to be taken out of Tocc's hands.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
O'Connor is particularly intriguing. 6'3, 200lbs college UFA from when Allvin was the Penguins' director of Amateur Scouting and Rutherford was GM. 33 points (16g 17a) in 79 games last season. Not particularly physical (48 hits last season) but was second on the team in PK TOI. 26 years old and slated to become a UFA at the end of this season.
O'Connor is a guy I'd circle. There are stretches he looked really good last season. 23 xG. Bang in some greasy goals.

He's a guy I would bet to score 20+ next season if I was more certain about his place in the lineup.
Management does not want to handicap the team like the Devils did or the Oilers, with Campbell to start the season. Even if they are fully confident that Silovs could be a starter for most of the season, they probably aren't confident that Patera can spell him enough. I suspect they'd much rather have someone like Lankinen rotate with Silovs.
Yeah, just sign Lankinen and hope Demmer is back soon.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
What is that salary cap website people are using that isn't puckpedia?

Whatever it is, they desperately need to fix their SEO because I can never remember what it's called and it never comes up when I google NHL salary cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad