Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the thing about the Hronek trade is it was made at a time where people weren't sure if the team was worth investing in and maybe should be blown up instead. but this management threaded the needle, they successfully retooled and made the playoffs. And while a successive playoff appearance this year isn't for certain yet, i think we're all feeling confident they'll be back.

edit: (also a reminder, at this time we hated the tocchet hire, hated we had to trade horvat, hated how bruce's exit had played out)
to be fair, we hated everything. now that the mangement team does know what they're doing. all the fans are like okay taking the oilers to the 2nd round in 7 games. what can we do to improve our roster. they did that. got rid of deadweight players like mikeheyv/lafftery. still stuck with oels buyout for the next 6years. team is still in good hands.

I wouldn't mind Ferraro, but apparently the price tag on his last season was insanely high. 1st rounder, +, +. If we're going to be paying those types of prices, I would rather go after a more recognized player who excels at both ends of the ice. Rasmus Andersson would of been great, but with 3 goals already and being a beloved teammate, I am not sure he's going anywhere any time soon.

Would love to add that #3 defenseman though.
guess as the season moves along, canucks are still looking and asking around the league. watch it be someone "way out of leftfield that NOBODY knew" instead of the usual suspects, petterson,anderson, its how this mangement team operates.

Reactions: Chiripa20

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
the thing about the Hronek trade is it was made at a time where people weren't sure if the team was worth investing in and maybe should be blown up instead. but this management threaded the needle, they successfully retooled and made the playoffs. And while a successive playoff appearance this year isn't for certain yet, i think we're all feeling confident they'll be back.

edit: (also a reminder, at this time we hated the tocchet hire, hated we had to trade horvat, hated how bruce's exit had played out)
There's so much hate on this board. Haha. Van media has a way of swaying peoples opinion's. Now the team is winning, you don't hear the same constant negative.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Frank Vatrano was a name that was brought up at the TDL last season. Off to a slow start this season and Anaheim is going to suck. Maybe that's an early buy to add at a cheap price.

Reactions: Donuts

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Joshua:
-was told 1 to 2 weeks away

Demko:
-doesn't get any sense that he's close to returning
-quite a few weeks away
-hadn't see the drill Demko was doing; strongly positioned in the crease, trying to hold his stance while a coach was holding a rope in the corner and was trying to pull him out of position
-injury is a strength and stability issue
-Demko trying to deal with a new reality of what his knee feels like

Lankinen:
-story of the season
-his play has been eye-opening
-gives props to Kevin Woodley for identifying Lankinen as a breakout candidate
-supplanted Silovs for now
-Lankinen was looking for a bigger contract than teams were willing to pay
-Canucks had an opportunity for him

Miller vs Pettersson:
-not surprised
-Canucks players have seen what Pettersson's game has been like and his public comments and there's an accountability thing going on

Canucks:
-impressed with the progression game-by-game with the team
-tonne of room with the team to grow moving the puck
-moving the puck has been a real focal point for the coaching staff

Pettersson:
-wonders if he requires a little bit more of a soft approach
-clearly frustrated
-seemed more engaged on Tuesday
-obviously listens and reads everything that is said about him

Coaching Hot Seat:
-not even reaching level 1 on the seat warmer yet
-team that stands out is Detroit
-on-going amount of friction with the Red Wings; roster decisions and when Lalonde went on Sportsnet and revealed some secrets
-Red Wings have expectations this year
-doesn't see a coaching change in Nashville or other movement around the league

Penguins:
-doesn't wonder about Sullivan's job security
-Sullivan is very tight with ownership; they've eaten up everything he's thrown at them
-Sullivan got his extension without any input from Ron Hextall, who was GM at the time
-roster construction issues with the team

Flyers:
-temperature is rising for Tortorella
-looks at Tortorella and Nick Seeler going at each other on the bench
-bigger expectations for the team to take a step forward
-front office seems to be enamoured with Tortorella
-Couturier's body can't keep up

Canadiens:
-abysmal 5v5 numbers
-asking too many young defencemen to do too much
-thinks they have a close to playoff ready forward group

Reactions: God and Chiripa20

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
that makes sense but if they're only willing to do it on off days they're not going to accrue much cap space

Can really only do it at home, though. Today is an off-day and if they do an optional skate tomorrow that gives them two days. Ideally something like this happens on the California road trip since Abbotsford Canucks are also in California.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Can really only do it at home, though. Today is an off-day and if they do an optional skate tomorrow that gives them two days. Ideally something like this happens on the California road trip since Abbotsford Canucks are also in California.

i am not gonna go through the schedule but the combination of non-practice days with the canucks being at home probably means it's only like 10-15 days total they can really do this. that's only like an additional $100k in cap space

i think they need to run a short roster basically every day they are at home. demko being on ir makes it hard since they have to carry 3 goalies but they could easily just send bains (or aman) down even on practice days

(i get why they wouldn't want brannstrom missing practice although it sounds like he won't be coming back up barring another injury)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i am not gonna go through the schedule but the combination of non-practice days with the canucks being at home probably means it's only like 10-15 days total they can really do this. that's only like an additional $100k in cap space

i think they need to run a short roster basically every day they are at home. demko being on ir makes it hard since they have to carry 3 goalies but they could easily just send bains (or aman) down even on practice days

(i get why they wouldn't want brannstrom missing practice although it sounds like he won't be coming back up barring another injury)

I think they aren't worried about it now with Joshua back in a week or two and, as long as everyone stays healthy, will push them above 1m in capspace. Since they are running a full roster, any trades they make will require either waiving someone or sending an NHL contract back the other way.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Miller vs Pettersson:
-not surprised
-Canucks players have seen what Pettersson's game has been like and his public comments and there's an accountability thing going on

On one hand, I really don't trust where this is coming from, but yeah, you can't go out and give interviews about re-signing based on where the team is, and then go through this horrid stretch when the team needs you the most. This is his last non-ENG ES goal.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Kind of conflicted with this news, happy that he and his family are doing well and whatever happened is in a better situation. But I don’t want to see him in the lineup replacing Brannstrom.
I would call Utah and see if they want a guy like Desharnais.

It's early but Brannstrom has clearly looked like a more capable guy in his own zone and can quickly transition the puck. We'd be taking a hit when it comes to size and our overall D depth but I think we'll eventually need to upgrade the D via trade anyways.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On one hand, I really don't trust where this is coming from, but yeah, you can't go out and give interviews about re-signing based on where the team is, and then go through this horrid stretch when the team needs you the most. This is his last non-ENG ES goal.

Hey, look who his linemates are there!

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I wonder if they re-insert him right away, or keep riding the hot hands that have won three in a row.
I hope it’s the later.
I would call Utah and see if they want a guy like Desharnais.

It's early but Brannstrom has clearly looked like a more capable guy in his own zone and can quickly transition the puck. We'd be taking a hit when it comes to size and our overall D depth but I think we'll eventually need to upgrade the D via trade anyways.
Rather trade Forbort, than Desharanais. If we trade Desharnais they probably go Forbort-Juulsen. Desharnais has been getting increased time seems like he is gaining the coaches trust. Has been right behind Soucy in 5 on 5 ice time the last two games.

Reactions: Diversification

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Seravelli has no clue.
learning to read between the lines and parse this mfer are important. He'll talk out of both sides of his mouth.

There's so much hate on this board. Haha. Van media has a way of swaying peoples opinion's. Now the team is winning, you don't hear the same constant negative.
it's not the media's fault this city is full of of reactionary chicken littles.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad