Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lindholm seems to be playing well. Zadorov looks massively overpaid.
Their play is irrelevant to my disgust but not likely zad is worth that contract.

(Lindholm was good here even when not scoring and ppls vitriol was misplaced because of acquisition cost, that wasn't really much either. Also I'd rather have kept horvat or Lindholm and moved ep to Carolina or whatever)

• Haha
Reactions: Wisp

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You’d have to replace Heinen on the roster too so add another ~$1 million.

Realistically re-signing Zadorov would have meant him plus two ~$1 million players ($7 million) instead of Myers, Desharnais, and Heinen ($7.25 million).

Can see an argument that would have been preferable but it would have materially hurt the team’s depth.

Sounds like Zadorov would have come in a bit cheaper (I saw 4.6 million) if he signed with Vancouver which makes sense.

But ya, you are correct you probably need to get rid of Myers as well. Which would create its own issues in that finding a RD at the deadline will likely be more difficult than finding a LD. With that said, I think Zadorov over Myers in the long run is actually preferable.

All Zadorov has to do is do something he's never done before.

Not true. He was a top three defensemen for us in the playoffs. More accurately, he hasn't been able to do it for a long stretch.

Reactions: pitseleh

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks top 20 players - 24 & under
  1. Hoglander 24
  2. Lekkerimaki 20
  3. Willander 20
  4. Silovs 23
  5. Pettersson 20
  6. Raty 22
  7. Bains 24
  8. Aman 24
  9. Kudryavtsev 20
  10. Mynio 19
  11. McWard 23
  12. Klimovich 22
  13. Woo 24
  14. Tolopilo 24
  15. Sasson 23
  16. Bloom 21
  17. Pattersson 18
  18. Fernstrom 18
  19. Romani 18
  20. Alriksson 19

Besides Hoglander wonder who’ll be on the big club 2 years from now.

Last edited:

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Pettersson and Myers for Dahlin.

The centerpiece of the deal is actually Myers as he actually gets to end his career in Buffalo.
Honestly thats an overpay. I like Dahlin a ton but EP40 is roughly a ppg so far for his career and is only 25 years old. Not sure the Vancouver Canucks are the team to add, if anything I could see some shuffling of prospects or picks more than other roster players. He is in a funk & possibly playing through something. Once he has a game or 2 I can see him taking off.

If a deal like this ever popped up I think it would be in the off season

Canucks top 20 players - 24 & under
  1. Hoglander 24
  2. Lekkerimaki 20
  3. Willander 20
  4. Silovs 23
  5. Pettersson 20
  6. Raty 22
  7. Bains 24
  8. Aman 24
  9. Kudryavtsev 20
  10. Mynio 19
  11. McWard 23
  12. Klimovich 22
  13. Woo 24
  14. Tolopilo 24
  15. Sasson 23
  16. Bloom 21
  17. Pattersson 18
  18. Fernstrom 18
  19. Romani 18
  20. Alriksson 19

Besides Hoglander wonder who’ll be on the big club 2 years from now.
I feel rotten saying this but I am not sure Bains amounts to anything more than a really good AHLer who gets a couple call ups sprinkled throughout his career (to be clear nothing wrong with this) but he hasn't shown much at the NHL level & has played with the top guys

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I feel rotten saying this but I am not sure Bains amounts to anything more than a really good AHLer who gets a couple call ups sprinkled throughout his career (to be clear nothing wrong with this) but he hasn't shown much at the NHL level & has played with the top guys

He has good skills but not elite skills to be a top 6 scoring winger at the NHL level and doesn’t have the checking ability to be in the bottom 6 full time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Who’s the better 4C option currently? Aman (24) or Raty (22)?
aman is steadier right now but does not appear to have have raty's upside.

raty has had moments where he shows real flash. he's potentially sauteed reindeer with lingenberries. aman appears to be swedish meatballs in campbell's mushroom soup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Forgive me for posting Taj, this is from Halford and Brough.

Seems like we made a totally reasonable offer to Zadorov.

Ya but there is a range of term and $ that is within the realm of reasonable and I don't think anyone here is saying the Canucks lowballed him. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, Calgary reportedly offered him $4-4.5M AAV and Zadorov was most concerned with term (he wanted 5-6 years). Zadorov's agent had come out and said that term was important. So Zadorov wanting a 5 year term is not a secret.

Like I said, management miscalulated here. They were ultimately willing to go to 5x$5M while Zadorov got 6x$5M. We're not dealing with a young player here who you aren't sure about. Zadorov was a pending UFA the team acquired and liked the player enough to offer him a 4 year contract just not 5. I'm not sure what Allvin expected once his offer was rejected and the playoffs were about to start.. That Zadorov would then come back and accept the Canucks' offer?

4x4.6 was exactly the right offer to max out.

Except that wasn't the max we offered him.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Ya but there is a range of term and $ that is within the realm of reasonable and I don't think anyone here is saying the Canucks lowballed him. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, Calgary reportedly offered him $4-4.5M AAV and Zadorov was most concerned with term (he wanted 5-6 years). Zadorov's agent had come out and said that term was important. So Zadorov wanting a 5 year term is not a secret.

Like I said, management miscalulated here. They were ultimately willing to go to 5x$5M while Zadorov got 6x$5M. We're not dealing with a young player here who you aren't sure about. Zadorov was a pending UFA the team acquired and liked the player enough to offer him a 4 year contract just not 5. I'm not sure what Allvin expected once his offer was rejected and the playoffs were about to start.. That Zadorov would then come back and accept the Canucks' offer?

Except that wasn't the max we offered him.

I agree. It wasn't like it was a surprise to Allvin. They knew the details on what Zadorov wanted and what he turned down from Calgary. For a player the Canucks were apparently coveting for a couple years, you would of thought Allvin would of been more prepared to negotiate. Like Zadorov, I also thought he would of been one of the top priorities to resign. Especially over the likes of Tyler Myers who you knew wasn't going anywhere and was willing to wait a bit before negotiating a contract. Myers ofcoarse played his best hockey in his contract year, Zadorov made a impact as soon as he was acquired.

I know I have to get over the Zadorov miss, but I think it was a major miss by Canucks staff.

Reactions: Tact and F A N

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I wish we still had Zadorov. With Willander coming soon that would have solidified our top 4 for years. It would be a risk with his past history but when was the last time a defenseman came on our team and was such a fan favourite
he brought swagger and guys played bigger than their size knowing he have their backs. especially hughes. but the ship has sailed. even if we did signed big Z, the fans will be bitching and moaning about his contract in the later years 3/4. alvin will probbaly target a "better top 4 guy who would be much easier to sign" in the coming months".

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I wonder what perception of Zad would be if he didn't shoot 20% in the playoffs.
Good point. Although It wasn't just the fact he was scoring timely goals, but he was also doing that while being physically imposing in the backend. Zads made Nashville and Edmonton think twice coming into his end of the ice. I think the immediate impact he made is such a short period of time is what I'll remember of him. Whether it was laying someone out into the bench during the regular season. Scoring a key goal in the playoffs, or just being a fascinating interview is what I'll remember of the big Z. A fan favorite in such a short time with the Canucks.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree. It wasn't like it was a surprise to Allvin. They knew the details on what Zadorov wanted and what he turned down from Calgary. For a player the Canucks were apparently coveting for a couple years, you would of thought Allvin would of been more prepared to negotiate. Like Zadorov, I also thought he would of been one of the top priorities to resign. Especially over the likes of Tyler Myers who you knew wasn't going anywhere and was willing to wait a bit before negotiating a contract. Myers ofcoarse played his best hockey in his contract year, Zadorov made a impact as soon as he was acquired.

I know I have to get over the Zadorov miss, but I think it was a major miss by Canucks staff.

Ya. I think the plan was to return the same defence. Hronek was the obvious priority. After that I guess what they wanted to do was lock up Myers since the team had Soucy just in case? But like you said, Myers wasn't going anywhere. There were reports that the Canucks made an offer to Cole as well (at a reduced cap hit).

It's not like there wasn't some cap flexibility. We were offering Lindholm $7M AAV at the same time were were trying to sign Zadorov and what Zadorov really was asking for is term.

Also, I get not wanting to negotiate contracts in the playoffs but the Canucks could have quickly went to Zadorov's agent and go "ok we'll do 5 years at $4.6M."

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
4x4.6 was exactly the right offer to max out.

Dollar amount I agree. I do think Zadorov countering with 5 years, same term, is a pretty reasonably response and we whiffed on it.

That being said, I kind of roll my eyes at Zadorov feeling disrespected. Sorry we didn't prioritize you over Suter, Blueger, Pettersson and Hronek? Ya know, guys who were here the entire season. That makes me more okay with letting him walk than his dollar amount. Guy is a little too full of himself.

Reactions: Peen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder what perception of Zad would be if he didn't shoot 20% in the playoffs.
Well he didn't quite shoot 20% in the playoffs. But like others said above, the perception would still be good.

I think shooting percentage has become way too much of a fixation here. It's a stat that requires context. Take Joshua. Do you remember the shots that he missed or the goals he scored in the playoffs? He shot 44.4%. Was he lucky? Sure. But at the end of the day, the shots he did take were high danger changes that he converted and it wasn't a fluke because we've seen him do it before in the regular season. Boeser similarly shot at a high rate in the playoffs and the goals he scored were goals we've seen him score in the regular season.

Zadorov scored a couple of bad angled shots but the scored it in a simialr way. Was he lucky? Sure. But in his last season in Colorado he scored 3 goals in 15 games (similar high shooting %). Two seasons ago he had a 14 goal regular season. It might not be consistent but it's not like his goal scoring came out of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad