Growth of hockey around the world

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Absolutely shocking that hockey is not more developed in Norway and Iceland

Heck, Iceland soccer team is much better than their hockey, makes no sense
The oceanic climate isn't that favorable, Iceland sucks at pretty much all winter sports. All of their Olympic medals were won in summer too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Absolutely shocking that hockey is not more developed in Norway and Iceland

Heck, Iceland soccer team is much better than their hockey, makes no sense
From what I read, which I admit was a decade ago stated that Norway always shut down their rinks and remove the ice during summer. It is hard to get better when you can develop your skills for only half of the season. Hopefully, that has changed now...

Iceland simply does not have the population to sustain sports, but I do agree they should be better. The problem with their country is because the population is so spread out around the coastline, they only have rinks in two major cities, with three teams being in the capital city. it is similar to Italy, if you want to be a top-tier nation, you gotta have players playing the game throughout and not just in the major cities as it is for Iceland. For Italy, their problem is that it is so regionalised in the north, that nobody knows or cares about it south of Rome.

Yes, they were last week at the IIHF semi-annual congress in Rhodes, Greece. Bahrain also became a member.

PS: I do love Kenya's jersey 🤩
I don't think either of them are full-time members, correct? I think both are partial members hoping to eventually become full-time nations.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I don't think either of them are full-time members, correct? I think both are partial members hoping to eventually become full-time nations.
Indeed, they are associate members. If I recall correctly, full membership is currently given only if the country fulfills minimum standard requirements for WC participation. I guess Bahrain will eventually get it. Kenya very unlikely.

Reactions: S E P H

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
With growing middle classes in Africa we might very well eventually see similar developments as in some South East Asian countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad