Proposal: Greenway for your center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Greenways time is coming up

We need to move him for a top 6 center

We are willing to add for the right return

Also, please note our cap complications over the next 4 years.

Who is available?
i'll give you Poehling and Armia for it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Who is available?

Ryan Strome.
He is good value at 4.5 which you can swing but I can sweeten it to 2.25
That makes him close to literally cap netural, w/JG at 2.1 elc expiring into rfa, per CF.

Strome is an actual pivot, actual right hand shot.
Obv plays even better w/breadman -- be honest who doesn't -- but forced Panarin absence coupled w/other stuff gave us a good look at him w/others and he produces.

Issue is we can't afford him long term, as all good now but need cap $ for Fox extension, + LaF + Kakko extensions.

For this reason was hoping for a late 1st, or 2nd + with add for retaining.

Howev, Greenway is exiting elc=> rfa so there is hope we can somewhat cost control enuf to make deal worthwhile.

Request: as you prob know we have Kravtsov situation and fastest way to resolve that is deal one of Strome/Hajek for a pick to create a roster spot.

Since I'm doing you a solid on retaining on Strome, how about you do mutual backscratch and take Hajek.

Hajek + NYR 2022 4th
for
Wild 2022 3rd + 5th [you have two and that projects to be the later one]

That would be a win win

deal?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd throw Dickinson your way for Greenway. Obviously more value would have to be added. You could use Dickinson as a top six center, but I don't know why you would.

But as far as a legitimate top six center, Greenway isn't enough to garner interest in any of the guys we have in Horvat/Pettersson/Miller. As much as I'd like Greenway, I don't think any team has a top six center they'd trade for Greenway as the main piece.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You won't get a top 6 center for Greenway. I'd offer McLeod + Benson for him. Minnesota could use entry level contracts for the next few years I'd imagine.

Reactions: TFHockey

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'd throw Dickinson your way for Greenway. Obviously more value would have to be added. You could use Dickinson as a top six center, but I don't know why you would.

But as far as a legitimate top six center, Greenway isn't enough to garner interest in any of the guys we have in Horvat/Pettersson/Miller. As much as I'd like Greenway, I don't think any team has a top six center they'd trade for Greenway as the main piece.

Why do the Canucks need more wingers? I get that 1 of Miller/Boeser are likely gone in a year but you have Podz out of the lineup because there's no room. I don't think a power forward like Greenway would be suited for a 3rd line role either, plus you already have Hoglander there who seems like a perfect fit on a 3rd line.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Arizona can offer Nick Schmaltz. I think the Coyotes would need to add given the cap hits.

Reactions: Mosby

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Who is available?
Do you have any names in mind? I am having a hard time seeing a team trade away a legit top 6 C for Greenway as the main piece. At this point Greenway produces like a 3rd line winger. He isn't a great goal scorer (averaging just over 10 goals per 82 games over his career), he doesn't get much PP or PK time. Plays under 15 minutes a night. Greenway is big and would be a good winger on any team, but a top 6 C is the most sought after position in hockey (similar premium for RHD to be fair). I know you said Greenway plus, but without a better understanding of the + it is difficult as well.

The cost for a top 6 C has sort of been set with Reinhart getting a 1st, prospect (needing a new contract and wanting out of Buffalo which both reduce his return) and Dvorak for a 1st and 2nd.

Potentially available C's (I don't know if they are available, just 100% speculation)

Seguin - too much cap hit for the Wild over the next 4 years
R. Strome - probably similar cost to Dvorak not sure the Rangers want another winger (Greenway), they just traded a better winger in Buch because of their depth at this position.
Trocheck - Carolina is in win now, but if one of Necas/Kotkaniemi are ready to make the jump to full time top 6 C or if one of their prospects Drury/Suzuki can take on a more prominent role than maybe there is a match there.
Kadri - although the Avs would want an upgrade at C I would assume
Stastny - not sure if he checks the boxes and he seems to like the Peg so maybe - maybe not
Schmaltz - Seems to have fallen out of favor amongst Zona fans, doesn't appear to have developed the way the Coyotes were hoping when they traded for him.
Giroux - heard that he might not re-sign in Philly on a sports radio show - no idea if true, just trying to cover my bases.
Monahan - He is the Flames whipping boy for now, might be available
Hertl - Will be expensive to trade for and re-sign, but potentially available
Eichel - See Hertl and multiply by 2 - twice as expensive to trade for and a lot more cap hit.

There's probably more but that is a start. Monahan and Schmaltz might be the closest to checking all the boxes for the Wild.

Reactions: bananaz

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why do the Canucks need more wingers? I get that 1 of Miller/Boeser are likely gone in a year but you have Podz out of the lineup because there's no room. I don't think a power forward like Greenway would be suited for a 3rd line role either, plus you already have Hoglander there who seems like a perfect fit on a 3rd line.

Need is strong, but even with Boeser back, we have a weird set of line combination...and I want Chiasson and/or Dowling pushed out for good.

Pod isn't in the line up because Green loves veterans that can't play well enough in all areas to be a generalist, but also can't specialize in any discernable skill either.

Ideally the role would be an "offensive third line" role, or as a filler in the top six, alongside someone like Hoglander, or Pearson, or Podkolzin, as opposed to having two "left over" lines in our bottom six, as we do now, where we have Dickinson, Hoglander and a rotating cast, including but not limited to Petan, Highmore, Podkolzin, Dowling and whoever is left. For example, if Miller were moved to center again, Greenway could fit with Petey and Boeser, while having another player that isn't a blackhole offensively for Miller to play with.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I'd give up a ton for Greenway on the Habs but we don't have a top6 C to move.

Whoever gets him will be happy. I'd keep him if I were Minny.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Need is strong, but even with Boeser back, we have a weird set of line combination...and I want Chiasson and/or Dowling pushed out for good.

Pod isn't in the line up because Green loves veterans that can't play well enough in all areas to be a generalist, but also can't specialize in any discernable skill either.

Ideally the role would be an "offensive third line" role, or as a filler in the top six, alongside someone like Hoglander, or Pearson, or Podkolzin, as opposed to having two "left over" lines in our bottom six, as we do now, where we have Dickinson, Hoglander and a rotating cast, including but not limited to Petan, Highmore, Podkolzin, Dowling and whoever is left. For example, if Miller were moved to center again, Greenway could fit with Petey and Boeser, while having another player that isn't a blackhole offensively for Miller to play with.

Greenway is actually pretty versatile. He's not specifically an offensive or defensively player, he can play both, and has in his time here. He works well anywhere in the lineup because he's got enough skill to keep up with top six guys, but can also play well defensively. He plays the same way regardless of where he is in the lineup. It's just a really strong, power/possession game. Don't expect him to drive the bus, but he's excellent at winning puck battles and keeping possession alive.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Greenway is actually pretty versatile. He's not specifically an offensive or defensively player, he can play both, and has in his time here. He works well anywhere in the lineup because he's got enough skill to keep up with top six guys, but can also play well defensively. He plays the same way regardless of where he is in the lineup. It's just a really strong, power/possession game. Don't expect him to drive the bus, but he's excellent at winning puck battles and keeping possession alive.
I know he's still young and there is room to improve but he's averaged 10 goals per 82 games over his career. That's not a top 6 winger on most teams

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Which is why I'd prefer him to Dickinson, at the moment. Being solid defensively isn't ever a bad thing, but Greenway-XXXX-Hoglander is a better foundation, with more utility, over XXXX-Dickinson-Hoglander, who negate each others strengths, as an example. We have a team of guys that I think fancy themselves as bus drivers, but fewer that can keep up. Greenway with Horvat and Garland would be nuts. Greenway with Petey and Boeser would be solid, as I said up there, if Miller goes to center again, or he and Pod could cause havoc in the offensive end, or he and Hog could be the foundation of a great two way line. That's why I like his game, plus he's not a rookie, so Green won't bench him for 5 games for scoring a goal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know he's still young and there is room to improve but he's averaged 10 goals per 82 games over his career. That's not a top 6 winger on most teams

I didn't say he was a true, top six, goal scoring winger, I said he's versatile and can keep up with top six players. There's more to offense than just being the one to finish.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Who is available?
You adding Boldy to this? You better if you want a legit top 6 C.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Which is why I'd prefer him to Dickinson, at the moment. Being solid defensively isn't ever a bad thing, but Greenway-XXXX-Hoglander is a better foundation, with more utility, over XXXX-Dickinson-Hoglander, who negate each others strengths, as an example. We have a team of guys that I think fancy themselves as bus drivers, but fewer that can keep up. Greenway with Horvat and Garland would be nuts. Greenway with Petey and Boeser would be solid, as I said up there, if Miller goes to center again, or he and Pod could cause havoc in the offensive end, or he and Hog could be the foundation of a great two way line. That's why I like his game, plus he's not a rookie, so Green won't bench him for 5 games for scoring a goal.

IMO, I don't agree with the way you're seeing things.. That 3rd line has been your best line all year and you want to break it up because of hypotheticals and projections. Dickinson has been exactly what the team needed, especially with Sutter out long term. You don't trade away a very solid 3C for a project such as Greenway. I was told before this season started the Canucks had one of the best top 6 in the league but now you need another winger to help them out?

I seriously don't see why you think trading a very good 3C on a fair contract for a project winger is at all a beneficial trade for the Canucks and I legitimately don't like the team but can see this objectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad