Great photos in hockey history you've just seen for the first time (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1664473385864.png

Attachments

• 1664473366894.png
    1664473366894.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Guardian17

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Given the lack of any glass or wire above the boards, there’s probably a common sense element at play if they want to draw any kind of crowd.
Back in the post WW 2 years and after many communities in rural Canada had a rink of some sort regardless of the size of the community . Some were fancy with boards and lights and some had chicken wire as well . A rink was a big thing in these tiny communities and there were some big games . Many folks traveled by horse and sleigh to games and for the longer excursions they would take the train . They played for community pride and there likely was the odd bottle of rum /shine drank in the stands .....after all it was Winter and it was cold ! There was also a good chance of the odd bottle consumed in the dressing room between periods .

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Can anyone date this, or locate it? I'm guessing early 80s...?
Isn't Howe in New England Whalers (pre-Hartford) uniform, hence WHA, hence 1979?
No, the Whalers didn't wear that logo until joining the NHL in 1979. In the WHA it was still the W with the harpoon.

But looking at pictures of Gordie with the 1979-80 Whalers, he still had more hair and a darker shade of gray too. And Bobby Hull was on the 80 Whalers as well for a spell, so the fact that he's wearing a Blackhawk jersey tells me he's retired and patched up his issues with that franchise (at least for that time). But Gordie wearing the Whaler jersey and not Detroit makes one think it must be not too far from his retirement as a player and that he still had a connection to Hartford - Mark and Marty were both there until 82, then Marty returned from 83 to 85. It's definitely sometime between 81 and 85, but I'd venture a guess it was probably around 82.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
No, the Whalers didn't wear that logo until joining the NHL in 1979. In the WHA it was still the W with the harpoon.

But looking at pictures of Gordie with the 1979-80 Whalers, he still had more hair and a darker shade of gray too. And Bobby Hull was on the 80 Whalers as well for a spell, so the fact that he's wearing a Blackhawk jersey tells me he's retired and patched up his issues with that franchise (at least for that time). But Gordie wearing the Whaler jersey and not Detroit makes one think it must be not too far from his retirement as a player and that he still had a connection to Hartford - Mark and Marty were both there until 82, then Marty returned from 83 to 85. It's definitely sometime between 81 and 85, but I'd venture a guess it was probably around 82.
I was referring to this picture:

FWXfYZYXoAEsWi2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
View attachment 603747
Shown here in recent years, they were D partners for a few games at the 1991 Canada Cup.
Absolutely mindblowing that they were D Partners, since I associate them with two completely different eras of hockey. The two of them stretch from what, 1973 to 2012?

I wonder if there's another elder veteran in his final year-rookie defense pair that spanned that much time. Looks like Chelios did play a little with Bogosian in 2010 so that gives us about a 38-39 year stretch as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad