Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Odd, you didn't go back to 2016....
We're talking Yzerman picks, and to be fair to Draper, he wasn't in charge until 2020 (Wright quit after the 2019 draft). So it's:
- Willander
- Neiderbach
- Hanas
- Buium
- James
- Buch
- Trey
- Gibson
- CLEVELAND!

Out of which I still only like Buch and Trey, and maybe Gibson. Aside from Buch, Draper hasn't gone after a goal scorer in the second. Some of the 2020 2nd rounders are already playing in the NHL, notably Peterka and Evangelista, both of whom were mentioned here pre-draft (not by me, this isn't a flex, lol)

That wasn't the first year of the rebuild. 2016 netted us Givani Smith and some bum that we traded to the Canucks for future HOFer ASP.
LOL. Yeah, 2018 was the start of the rebuild when Kenny traded Tats for a bunch of picks, second rounders that year were Burger and McIsaac. I think we should just talk about Stevie, what Kenny did is irrelevant at this point. I'd rather focus on Draper, since he's in charge now.

Reactions: David D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're talking Yzerman picks, and to be fair to Draper, he wasn't in charge until 2020 (Wright quit after the 2019 draft). So it's:
- Willander
- Neiderbach
- Hanas
- Buium
- James
- Buch
- Trey
- Gibson
- CLEVELAND!

Out of which I still only like Buch and Trey, and maybe Gibson. Aside from Buch, Draper hasn't gone after a goal scorer in the second. Some of the 2020 2nd rounders are already playing in the NHL, notably Peterka and Evangelista, both of whom were mentioned here pre-draft (not by me, this isn't a flex, lol)

LOL. Yeah, 2018 was the start of the rebuild when Kenny traded Tats for a bunch of picks, second rounders that year were Burger and McIsaac. I think we should just talk about Stevie, what Kenny did is irrelevant at this point. I'd rather focus on Draper, since he's in charge now.

A little early to bag on those picks since at least half could still be NHLers. And I don't think it would be crazy to see Hanas and James able to carve out bottom6 careers.

Reactions: Henkka

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
A little early to bag on those picks since at least half could still be NHLers. And I don't think it would be crazy to see Hanas and James able to carve out bottom6 careers.
If Cross Hanas carves out an NHL career, I'll... well... I was going to say I'll ban myself, but that would just create a bunch of Cross Hanas fans, and that's annoying.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
4th line and bottom pair are dime a dozen in the NHL, you can sign guys like Fischer or ZAR for basically league min every offseason. The entire point of the draft is to get value out of the ELC contract and to lock in high end talent. I've said it before, but it looks like Draper is picking guys that play like him, but remember what he cost to acquire.... $1.

It makes sense that a lot of us want Draper swinging for home runs.

If Cross Hanas carves out an NHL career, I'll... well... I was going to say I'll ban myself, but that would just create a bunch of Cross Hanas fans, and that's annoying.
Count me in. Criss Cross go Hanas!

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
As someone who also watched every playoff game, I agree that Kasper looked NHL ready. He was a stud in both series. I don't know how high his offensive upside is, but I see the vision with him. Mazur needs to get a long heavier and stronger, he's not NHL ready. Berggren was the best player on the ice the majority of the time.

I'm not sure what you saw with Wallinder? I was pretty disappointed with his play. He wasn't even close to the best defender. He played more than 14 minutes once vs Milwaukee. He was a pretty big liability. The GR coaches didn't trust him at all in the playoffs. Completely lost in the dzone and he had a ton of turnovers with the puck. I guess he's tall and can skate well, but he was the 6/7th defensemen for GR. He needs a big summer.

Tuomisto? The only dman who played less than 15 min a game besides Wallinder was Tuomisto. He's tall and has a hard shot, but thats it. He can't skate, can't defend, can't move the puck. Not an NHL prospect at this point.

Nobody is trading anything of value for either of those guys. I was talking with someone in the Milwaukee organization and the two players he was most impressed with for GR was Kasper and Cossa. Here's the TOI for the Milwaukee series for those interested.
I’m sorry but the fact you think nobody would trade anything for wallinder is baffling. Like that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard. He may have not played as well as some would have hoped in the playoffs but a young 6’4 great skating defensive prospect will always have interest. Get real.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I’m sorry but the fact you think nobody would trade anything for wallinder is baffling. Like that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard. He may have not played as well as some would have hoped in the playoffs but a young 6’4 great skating defensive prospect will always have interest. Get real.
Anything of value. And that's probably true. Wallinder is a B-level prospect whose development has been.... ok. He's got a lot of holes in his game. He's going to get opportunities because of that size/skating combo, and he could be part of a bigger trade that brings value back, but William Wallinder is not, on his own, bringing back anything of value.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Anything of value. And that's probably true. Wallinder is a B-level prospect whose development has been.... ok. He's got a lot of holes in his game. He's going to get opportunities because of that size/skating combo, and he could be part of a bigger trade that brings value back, but William Wallinder is not, on his own, bringing back anything of value.
You clearly don’t know how NHL franchises operate lol. Good skating d men with size are like the biggest assets in trades. Like cmon. He’s a prospect, if you traded him straight up you’re not getting some superstar but he is absolutely a big asset for a potential trade.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
You clearly don’t know how NHL franchises operate lol. Good skating d men with size are like the biggest assets in trades. Like cmon. He’s a prospect, if you traded him straight up you’re not getting some superstar but he is absolutely a big asset for a potential trade.
If you can look past whether they are good or bad in terms of offense, defense, IQ, physicality, panic threshold, compete, reads, shot, shot selection, passing, and puck-handling... yes, you're right, good skating, big defensemen always return value.

Unfortunately for Wallinder, NHL franchises don't look past all those things, and he is lacking in many of them.

You clearly overrate Wallinder and don't understand the criteria on which NHL franchises operate.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I can see how to the untrained eye, Wallinder looks like a good prospect. In reality, he was the Griffins #6 dman in the playoffs. He had 2 shifts in the 3rd period in their elimination game. He had a disappointing first year in North America. He's 22 next month so he's not super young anymore. I'm sure teams are lining up to trade good value for the Grand Rapids #6 dman lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why exactly were there so many GR signings on day one of FA?

Does that mean Detroit is planning on going ham bringing guys up?

Imo, this will happen at every summer at free agency.

And also funny how, people start bashing those guys, when at first look no one will understand them being AHL-guys.

It was same shit will Aston-Reese, Czarnik, Luff, Hutchinson etc. They just like to sign those top AHL-players at the same moment as NHL-players, because they are signed by Red Wings. And then send to AHL affiliate.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Imo, this will happen at every summer at free agency.

And also funny how, people start bashing those guys, when at first look no one will understand them being AHL-guys.

It was same shit will Aston-Reese, Czarnik, Luff, Hutchinson etc. They just like to sign those top AHL-players at the same moment as NHL-players, because they are signed by Red Wings. And then send to AHL affiliate.
My problem is why are you signing ahl roster fill on day one of FA? Are you telling me Sheldon Dries was such a f***ing hot commodity he wouldn’t be there today, tomorrow, a week from now?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Dries - Kasper - Mazur
Snively - Danielson - Söderblom
Rycholovsky - Lombardi - Shine
Hanas - Seger - Gettinger
Johannes, Doucet

Lagesson - Tuomisto
Wallinder - Rafferty
Buium - Didier?
Viro

Cossa
Campbell
I would think Becher is Griffins bound. He is already 20 years old or did thy already speak on where he might be playing ?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I would think Becher is Griffins bound. He is already 20 years old or did thy already speak on where he might be playing ?
I had him there but i took it off, since he is not signed yet. I think there is many possible routes for Becher, one is that Wings sign him and put him in GR or perhaps in Toledo, there he would get a much bigger role. Or then maybe Wings does like the they did with Tyutuayev, let GR sign him and play him Toledo and occasionally in GR.

Or send him to Europe, Finland would be good place for him, there's a lot of shitty teams who are looking for cheap players. Maybe HPK, linemate for Kiiskinen. Allsvenskan comes to my mind as well, maybe Mora, since MBN left to Skellefteå and they have also signed Forslund. Coach over there seems to trust younger players.

I think he should hit pro leagues rather than staying in the juniors, WHL and U20 WJC numbers indicate that he doesn't have much to prove in the juniors. But spots in GR seems to be filled and they usually sign some NCAA free agents as well.

Czarnik -> Dries
Luff/ZAR -> Snively
Hirose -> Rychlovsky
Berggren -> Danielson
L'Esperance -> Seger
Edvinsson/Simek -> Lagesson
Newpower -> Buium
Hutchinson -> Campbell
Lethemon -> Gyrlander
Didier -> Didier?

Reactions: Henkka
Status