Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
What a great season

Lots of guys clearly NHL ready on this team. Stevie has quite a bit of work to do…

I’m ok if Kasper and Danielson cook another season there, but won’t be butt hurt if they are in Detroit next season either.

Johansson, Edvinsson and Berggren need to be full time NHLers at this point. Burgers might be our Zuccarello. Ed is at worst Darnell Nurse, and Johansson could turn into a Kronwall with less offense. They need to be up now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good run, doesn’t hurt to get a longer offseason so not too bummed they’re out.
It really hurt watching a block of wood like Rafferty QB the PP though. Not surprisingly that was a problem for them.

Super excited to see what Kasper and Mazur can do come training camp.

Reactions: lilidk

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I’m ok if Kasper and Danielson cook another season there, but won’t be butt hurt if they are in Detroit next season either.

Johansson, Edvinsson and Berggren need to be full time NHLers at this point. Burgers might be our Zuccarello. Ed is at worst Darnell Nurse, and Johansson could turn into a Kronwall with less offense. They need to be up now.
Mostly agreed, and jo should be up next year, but jo is not and never will be Kronwalling people. Nor should he be, not that he can't get feisty, but more of a junior level lidstrom type. And let me specifc, I am not comparing anyone to lidstrom, but rather a third line lidstrom. And I love that.!!!!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
After watching every playoff game, Mazur, Kasper and Johansson are ready to play in the NHL. Can Kasper start the year in GR again? Could, but it’s probably worth him playing in the bottom 6 in the NHL for the rest of his development. Same with Mazur. They’re both the types of players who can contribute in the bottom 6, and work their way up the depth chart. Unlike Berggren, who’s Top 6 or he’s likely hurting you.

The big takeaway prospect wise from the playoffs though? William Wallinder is much closer to the NHL than he was even 2-3 months ago. He was their best overall dman in the games Edvinsson didn’t play. Johansson defensively, but overall game? It was Wallinder. Tuomisto also has NHL written all over him. He’s not very far away either. Both, with a really good summer? Who knows.

These kids are getting close to decisions having to be made. Can they get away with another year in the AHL? 100%, but don’t be surprised if both play NHL games next season. In fact, they had a good enough playoffs that the odds of trading Johansson this summer, in a deal to better the NHL roster, have likley increased.

Speaking of trade value to better the NHL roster. Wallinder looked really good in the games he was asked to carry play on the backend. Guarantee other teams seen that too. There’s not very many NHL teams that have a dman prospect like him. They’d love to get their hands on him. So if Vegas for example, is going to trade Theodore this summer, or if Detroit wants to go after a player like Sharongovich, Cirelli or even a Konecny, those teams would much rather a William Wallinder be involved than let’s say a forward prospect.

So it gives the Wings options and advantages on the trade market, when you have dmen like this in your prospect pool. Usually teams won’t trade them. They can afford to in the right deals, because of what they have, and have coming.. They all won’t end up in Detroit. That’s a reality. At least 2 will be traded at some point early on, to help the NHL roster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The big takeaway prospect wise from the playoffs though? William Wallinder is much closer to the NHL than he was even 2-3 months ago. He was their best overall dman in the games Edvinsson didn’t play. Johansson defensively, but overall game? It was Wallinder. Tuomisto also has NHL written all over him. He’s not very far away either. Both, with a really good summer? Who knows.
Don't really agree on Tuomisto. Don't think there's a whole lot there at this point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
After watching every playoff game, Mazur, Kasper and Johansson are ready to play in the NHL. Can Kasper start the year in GR again? Could, but it’s probably worth him playing in the bottom 6 in the NHL for the rest of his development. Same with Mazur. They’re both the types of players who can contribute in the bottom 6, and work their way up the depth chart. Unlike Berggren, who’s Top 6 or he’s likely hurting you.

Problem with Berggren is that for every hope that he could be our Zuccarello, it's just as likely (more) that he's Sprong. The best situation for him might be the top6, but the best position for the team might have him on a line with Fabbri and Veleno, where either way he's getting 12 to 13 minutes a night but his spots are picked more with the latter.

Have to say, though, for all of the complaints about Berggren being down, I think he did what he needed to do and it was good to see.

Reactions: heyfolks

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Problem with Berggren is that for every hope that he could be our Zuccarello, it's just as likely (more) that he's Sprong. The best situation for him might be the top6, but the best position for the team might have him on a line with Fabbri and Veleno, where either way he's getting 12 to 13 minutes a night but his spots are picked more with the latter.

Have to say, though, for all of the complaints about Berggren being down, I think he did what he needed to do and it was good to see.
I say bring up that entire line as our 3rd line next season; Mazur-Kasper-Berggren.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Well they got a right coach behind the bench now, Simon never got them this far. Stacked roster for next year, kids impove more during the summer. Skating and bulking up and next summer there is Calder cup parade in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Mazur - Kasper - X1
Söderblom - Danielson - X2
X3 - Lombardi - Shine
Hanas - Gettinger - X4
Johannes, Doucet

Wallinder - Tuomisto
Buium - Rafferty
Viro - X5
X6 - X7

Cossa
X8
Gyrlander

X1= Luff?
X2= Czarnik?
X3= Rychlovský?
X4= Savage/NCAA free agent?
X5= Didier?
X6= Truscott/NCAA free agent?
X7= Moore/NCAA free agent?
X8= Hutchinson?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

These kids are getting close to decisions having to be made. Can they get away with another year in the AHL? 100%, but don’t be surprised if both play NHL games next season. In fact, they had a good enough playoffs that the odds of trading Johansson this summer, in a deal to better the NHL roster, have likley increased.

Speaking of trade value to better the NHL roster. Wallinder looked really good in the games he was asked to carry play on the backend. Guarantee other teams seen that too. There’s not very many NHL teams that have a dman prospect like him. They’d love to get their hands on him. So if Vegas for example, is going to trade Theodore this summer, or if Detroit wants to go after a player like Sharongovich, Cirelli or even a Konecny, those teams would much rather a William Wallinder be involved than let’s say a forward prospect.

So it gives the Wings options and advantages on the trade market, when you have dmen like this in your prospect pool. Usually teams won’t trade them. They can afford to in the right deals, because of what they have, and have coming.. They all won’t end up in Detroit. That’s a reality. At least 2 will be traded at some point early on, to help the NHL roster.
As someone who also watched every playoff game, I agree that Kasper looked NHL ready. He was a stud in both series. I don't know how high his offensive upside is, but I see the vision with him. Mazur needs to get a long heavier and stronger, he's not NHL ready. Berggren was the best player on the ice the majority of the time.

I'm not sure what you saw with Wallinder? I was pretty disappointed with his play. He wasn't even close to the best defender. He played more than 14 minutes once vs Milwaukee. He was a pretty big liability. The GR coaches didn't trust him at all in the playoffs. Completely lost in the dzone and he had a ton of turnovers with the puck. I guess he's tall and can skate well, but he was the 6/7th defensemen for GR. He needs a big summer.

Tuomisto? The only dman who played less than 15 min a game besides Wallinder was Tuomisto. He's tall and has a hard shot, but thats it. He can't skate, can't defend, can't move the puck. Not an NHL prospect at this point.

Nobody is trading anything of value for either of those guys. I was talking with someone in the Milwaukee organization and the two players he was most impressed with for GR was Kasper and Cossa. Here's the TOI for the Milwaukee series for those interested.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 10.27.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 10.27.43 AM.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
As someone who also watched every playoff game, I agree that Kasper looked NHL ready. He was a stud in both series. I don't know how high his offensive upside is, but I see the vision with him. Mazur needs to get a long heavier and stronger, he's not NHL ready. Berggren was the best player on the ice the majority of the time.

I'm not sure what you saw with Wallinder? I was pretty disappointed with his play. He wasn't even close to the best defender. He played more than 14 minutes once vs Milwaukee. He was a pretty big liability. The GR coaches didn't trust him at all in the playoffs. Completely lost in the dzone and he had a ton of turnovers with the puck. I guess he's tall and can skate well, but he was the 6/7th defensemen for GR. He needs a big summer.

Tuomisto? The only dman who played less than 15 min a game besides Wallinder was Tuomisto. He's tall and has a hard shot, but thats it. He can't skate, can't defend, can't move the puck. Not an NHL prospect at this point.

Nobody is trading anything of value for either of those guys. I was talking with someone in the Milwaukee organization and the two players he was most impressed with for GR was Kasper and Cossa. Here's the TOI for the Milwaukee series for those interested.
Wallinder had a couple good games, game 3 against Milwaukee with Ed out he looked fantastic. He's young and raw, just needs to build consistency and iron out the kinks.

Berggren is by far the best at creating in the offensive zone, but when it comes to generating entries and exits and tilting the ice in general, Kasper and Edvinsson are the two best players on the team.

Cossa was rock solid and kept us in a lot of games we shouldn't have been in. Idk what his final save percentage was for the playoffs but regardless he looked good.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Wallinder had a couple good games, game 3 against Milwaukee with Ed out he looked fantastic. He's young and raw, just needs to build consistency and iron out the kinks.
I agree on your other points, but Wallinder just finished his D+4 season, and he was a bottom pair D in the AHL. Disappointing season for someone who was essentially a 1st round pick.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree on your other points, but Wallinder just finished his D+4 season, and he was a bottom pair D in the AHL. Disappointing season for someone who was essentially a 1st round pick.
And if he was top pair it would have been disappointing from Edvinsson and Johansson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad