Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What is the point of playing if you aren't using the whole pond to play on. That is why William went back to pond hockey. Knew it was only a matter of time.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

AMADEUS LOMBARDI REASSIGNED TO GRAND RAPIDS​

April 12, 2023
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday reassigned center Amadeus Lombardi from the Flint Firebirds (OHL) to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Lombardi was selected with the 113th overall pick by the Detroit Red Wings in the fourth round of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft. The 19-year-old finished the 2022-23 Ontario Hockey League season with 102 points (45-57—102) in 67 regular-season games with Flint. Lombardi ranked among the 2022-23 OHL leaders in points (3rd), assists (T6th), goals (6th) and points-per-game (1.52, 8th). The Aurora, Ontario, native added seven points (5-2—7) in as many playoff outings this season. During the 2021-22 campaign with the Firebirds, Lombardi posted 59 points (18-41—59) in 67 regular-season games and added 15 points (7-8—15) in 19 playoff appearances. Through 134 OHL contests, Lombardi amassed 63 goals, 98 assists, 42 penalty minutes and a plus-32 rating. Lombardi will look to make his professional debut on Friday when the Griffins host the Rockford IceHogs at 7 p.m.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I know Simon isnt popular here but I also wonder what yzerman thinks of him.

Looking at the individual stats and this team, evidently, had a rough year. 3 guys scored more than 30 points. Woof.

I know Simon isn't popular and truthfully I am not dialed in enough to have an opinion on him. One thing that deserves to be acknowledged is the lack of continuity he had with his roster. I know that's the nature of the beast with AHL teams but only 6 players played more than 54 games for the griffins. They also used 8 goalies, most of them performing poorly. When this team finally got some goaltending (Nedeljkovic, 26 games .912 sv%) they were actually above .500.

Im not necessarily defending Simon, but its important to acknowledge some context. It will be interesting to see if they extend him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I know Simon isnt popular here but I also wonder what yzerman thinks of him.

Im not necessarily defending Simon, but its important to acknowledge some context. It will be interesting to see if they extend him.

It should be obvious, that they'll change the coaching staff.

Yzerman gave a fair chance for Simon to prove himself. Now it's time to move on.

Nothing will mean more than results. Those were poor, and have been going on wrong direction year-by-year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Yzerman gave a fair chance for Simon to prove himself. Now it's time to move on.

Nothing will mean more than results. Those were poor, and have been going on wrong direction year-by-year.

I just look at how long Yzerman was willing to ride with Blashill and kind of think its a situation we shouldn't be counting chickens before they hatch.

That said, Simon wasn't an Yzerman hire and one thing we have seen since Yzerman came on is a systematic overhaul of the team staff. Honestly, that's reason enough to expect a change.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We need to figure out why every prospect we send to GR gets hurt and fix it.

Kind of ironic, that our former Development coach Horcoff is the current Griffins GM, and this is happening.

Something is wrong on training. Maybe they are training too hard and wrecking the bodies?

Need more body care, mobility, flexibilty training.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Oh, Edvinsson IS back in Grand Rapids. Lombardi too. NHL network showing the game tonight

Christien

May 1, 2010
We need to figure out why every prospect we send to GR gets hurt and fix it.
I was thinking about who the Griffins were missing today, and here's the list:
McIsaac, Johansson, Soderblom, Mazur, Wallinder, Hanas, Brattstrom

Not a prospect but as I'm typing this, Newpower blocked a shot and went to the locker room... You can't make this up

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan

Not a prospect but as I'm typing this, Newpower blocked a shot and went to the locker room... You can't make this up
Wait, Mazur is hurt too!!!??

crashmore

Mar 31, 2023

i'm not convinced you're wrong, but I thought Yzerman's end-of-season comments were interesting. basically indicated that GR's flaws were on himself and Horcoff for not stacking GR with enough depth and that the issues are not on coaching.

of course, he's unlikely to say any differently when put on the spot about it, with two games left on GR's schedule (i think that presser was Friday). i certainly wouldn't be surprised if a change was made next week, after exit interviews.

for some devil's advocate though, if Yzerman does believe what he said, the evaluation will come down how players are developing and not necessarily the record. and, to Simon's credit, Berggren had a successful adjustment to North America, both in point production and how he plays (he's more willing to go into traffic than he was when he came over). Edvinsson was just ok in preseason, but once he was recalled, he looked like a lock for next year's roster. Yzerman has gone out of his way multiple times to praise Johansson especially, McIsaac to a lesser degree. Hanas was becoming a bit of an afterthought (to me, at least) and was pretty impactful when healthy. Viro has come alive in the last month.

i didn't watch too many of their games in the first half, but have been tuning in more in the second half once the Wings season went downhill. they are stuck playing way too many guys who are just not AHL caliber -- Worrad, Bliss, Tyutyayev, Sawchuk, Barton, Andreasson. Pearson hasn't been right all year. Weatherby is terrible. also results in some of their depth players like Shine and Spezia who are both fine on the 4th line, having to play 2nd line minutes because there are no better options. Spezia's even playing D tonight. no coach is winning with this roster, and it's been like this for the better part of the last two months.

and goaltending just blew up in everyone's face. Olkinoura had elite KHL numbers but is one of the worst goalies i've ever seen at this level. Brattstrom took a big step back from last year. Nedeljkovic steadied the ship for a bit, but wasn't stealing games. and it definitely wasn't worth throwing Cossa into this mess.

i'm not necessarily for or against a coaching change, but i'm just not seeing it as the same certainty as some others. they have to provide more depth and real goalies next season for whoever's in charge.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
i'm not convinced you're wrong, but I thought Yzerman's end-of-season comments were interesting. basically indicated that GR's flaws were on himself and Horcoff for not stacking GR with enough depth and that the issues are not on coaching.

of course, he's unlikely to say any differently when put on the spot about it, with two games left on GR's schedule (i think that presser was Friday). i certainly wouldn't be surprised if a change was made next week, after exit interviews.

for some devil's advocate though, if Yzerman does believe what he said, the evaluation will come down how players are developing and not necessarily the record. and, to Simon's credit, Berggren had a successful adjustment to North America, both in point production and how he plays (he's more willing to go into traffic than he was when he came over). Edvinsson was just ok in preseason, but once he was recalled, he looked like a lock for next year's roster. Yzerman has gone out of his way multiple times to praise Johansson especially, McIsaac to a lesser degree. Hanas was becoming a bit of an afterthought (to me, at least) and was pretty impactful when healthy. Viro has come alive in the last month.

i didn't watch too many of their games in the first half, but have been tuning in more in the second half once the Wings season went downhill. they are stuck playing way too many guys who are just not AHL caliber -- Worrad, Bliss, Tyutyayev, Sawchuk, Barton, Andreasson. Pearson hasn't been right all year. Weatherby is terrible. also results in some of their depth players like Shine and Spezia who are both fine on the 4th line, having to play 2nd line minutes because there are no better options. Spezia's even playing D tonight. no coach is winning with this roster, and it's been like this for the better part of the last two months.

and goaltending just blew up in everyone's face. Olkinoura had elite KHL numbers but is one of the worst goalies i've ever seen at this level. Brattstrom took a big step back from last year. Nedeljkovic steadied the ship for a bit, but wasn't stealing games. and it definitely wasn't worth throwing Cossa into this mess.

i'm not necessarily for or against a coaching change, but i'm just not seeing it as the same certainty as some others. they have to provide more depth and real goalies next season for whoever's in charge.
Yeah, Yzerman put the blame on himself and Horcoff, but also mentioned that guys they had planned to play in GR ended up in Detroit due to injuries and then GR had injuries that thinned the talent further.

One thing to keep in mind is that Yzerman would never throw a coach under the bus. He publicly supported Blashill until after the season when he fired him. I have no idea what will happen in GR but the fact Yzerman provided cover for the coaches doesn't mean much IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Olkinuora is one great example how that coahing staff is one of the worst in AHL.

He is a great goalie if you can build even a basic system in front of him. Griffins guys have no clue.

Every goalie died there at this season, except Nedeljkovic, who "thrives" behind chaotic systems.

All goes on coaching.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Edvinsson was missing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad