Grade the Avalanche deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well everyone thought Belesky was gonna get crazy money and he didnt and id put Boeds closer to that situation than say someone like Ladd who probably will get what he wants.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
There's only really one catch to the acquisition of Boedker for me, and that is that if he plays poorly for the rest of the season, we'll all hate him but at least he'll have no bargaining power towards his presumable ask for money. If he plays well, we'll all love him but he may try and use that as leverage. What do people honestly think he'll sign for? Someone mentioned Beleskey as a comparable - ballpark of $4 million for Boedker for a few years is something I could live with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs could get Boedker signed in the 4-4.75m per range... I'd be totally okay with getting him re-signed. Anything more than that, I just don't see reasons to make room to fit Boedker. As I said, I really don't think he is going to be back. I think the Avs are looking at other options first and will only cycle back to Boedker if they know those options are not going to work.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There's only really one catch to the acquisition of Boedker for me, and that is that if he plays poorly for the rest of the season, we'll all hate him but at least he'll have no bargaining power towards his presumable ask for money. If he plays well, we'll all love him but he may try and use that as leverage. What do people honestly think he'll sign for? Someone mentioned Beleskey as a comparable - ballpark of $4 million for Boedker for a few years is something I could live with.

If the market is anything like it was this past UFA Frenzy, then perhaps he goes between 4.5-4.75M on a 4 or 5 year deal. IF that happens, then I'm thinking the Avs may have a good chance at re-signing him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
haha you gotta like our ambivalence "meh i guess we can sign a top 6 guy at 4.75 and have him and Rants inject some much needed talent into our lineup next year...whatevs im gonna go take a nap zzzzz

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Of course there's benefit for player to sign now. What If he gets career ending injury in next game? There's always risk when it comes to sports. If they offer him good contract and he seems to like this team, I have no doubt he would accept it. Why not? Colorado is trending up, he fits the core age.. Looks like pretty good fit to me. Let's see how he works with Duchene/MacK...

If he were concerned about that he would have signed already with the Yotes.

He either wants more money or to have options when he will choose where he will spend the next few years of his life.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He could also just wanted out.
Look id imagine him and his agent couldnt have been that thrilled at the return he got at the TDL, even though from the Avs perspective it was alot, but thats only because we got jack $hit in our cupboards atm so its the end of days if have to trade anything of our own plus we arent contenders. If no other team was willing to pay more than what we gave up id venture a guess many teams arent going to pony up nearly 6 a year for him.
The only way that happens is if he goes nuclear while he's here and that only helps our case for why he should stay put.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He could also just wanted out.
Look id imagine him and his agent couldnt have been that thrilled at the return he got at the TDL, even though from the Avs perspective it was alot, but thats only because we got jack $hit in our cupboards atm so its the end of days if have to trade anything of our own plus we arent contenders. If no other team was willing to pay more than what we gave up id venture a guess many teams arent going to pony up nearly 6 a year for him.
The only way that happens is if he goes nuclear while he's here and that only helps our case for why he should stay put.

No one wanted **** to do with Boedker because he's been terrible for the past 20+ games. If he finishes the season on fire while feasting off of MacK or Dutchy; he'll have hype again.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No one wanted **** to do with Boedker because he's been terrible for the past 20+ games. If he finishes the season on fire while feasting off of MacK or Dutchy; he'll have hype again.

This is weak at best, but looking at his past body of work and his game logs from the previous seasons. I really feel like the in season contract negotiations had an effect on him personally.

His game logs are pretty clean (void of huge dry spells like this season), and the production is not bunched up to hard to certain sections of his season. It is heavier towards the beginning and end of the season for him, but not as weighted towards hot stretches and cold stretches as some angry AZ fan(s) have pointed to.

He seems like a less streaky less talented version of Duchene (which one AZ guy already brought up).

Honestly the more I dig into his past production, (not his fancy stats) the more I like him. I also don't mind that he makes his money on the power play, we don't really have someone like that besides for Iginla right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wasn't saying it's indicative of his career at large. Just that his game going into the ****ter is why interest for him at this TDL was low; even though the interest will return if he finishes the year well with us.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wasn't saying it's indicative of his career at large. Just that his game going into the ****ter is why interest for him at this TDL was low; even though the interest will return if he finishes the year well with us.

Yeah agreed, I just wanted to point out that there is some past evidence along with an 'X' factor, that should make us optimistic about him.

There is definitely times we've been about as hard on Duchene as they are with Boedker, but Duchene signed a team friendly deal. Boedker seemed to want out of that team by most accounts.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This is weak at best, but looking at his past body of work and his game logs from the previous seasons. I really feel like the in season contract negotiations had an effect on him personally.

His game logs are pretty clean (void of huge dry spells like this season), and the production is not bunched up to hard to certain sections of his season. It is heavier towards the beginning and end of the season for him, but not as weighted towards hot stretches and cold stretches as some angry AZ fan(s) have pointed to.

He seems like a less streaky less talented version of Duchene (which one AZ guy already brought up).

Honestly the more I dig into his past production, (not his fancy stats) the more I like him. I also don't mind that he makes his money on the power play, we don't really have someone like that besides for Iginla right now.

He disappeared for long stretches in seasons past, this was not a new occurrence with him.

pKdpEKT.png

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not one to start devaluating a prospect because he is no longer with the organization. I liked Wood a lot and I still do but you have to give to receive and we did that while retaining our other major assets. Hopefully we can re-sign Boedy for a decent contract if he fits well on our team. My concern with the Boedy acquisition is that I don't think we improve our puck possession which is a very issue with this team. However with the pieces we already have I believe we can still improve in that category by making changes to the system. Too often I see guys dumping the puck or trying a high-risk pass to a player when another is wide open 15-25 feet away. I'm not sure if it is a system issue or a lack of vision by our players but this need to improve.

I'll say it again, as we stand at this moment in building this team, we need to make a serious step towards gaining playoffs experience. This year TDL moves hopefully help us towards that goal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A player who has played with absolute crap on his career has had some slumps where he still produced at a near .5ppg rate isn't so bad.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He disappeared for long stretches in seasons past, this was not a new occurrence with him.

pKdpEKT.png

I'm not sure I'd count those earlier ones where he is at or near a .5 PPG pace as serious slumps IMO.

We've had ones nearly as bad or worse from players here that we expect more from.

Edit : Especially not when his season's PPG averages for those were .622

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's not bad, but it also isn't great. And it's not that he just wasn't producing at times, he was a no show.

I'm just speaking to production, not going to argue with anyone based on anything else. As I personally didn't watch him during those times.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

pKdpEKT.png

Can you do the same for Duchene, Landeskog, Iginla, ROR etc? I mean everyone has those type of streaks and I dont think Boedker putting up little bit under 0,5 ppg is that bad streak..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's not bad, but it also isn't great. And it's not that he just wasn't producing at times, he was a no show.

You keep whining about this, but not at one single point of your posts you don't mention the players he plays(ed) with. Your argument is more blinders mode than anything. Boedker in no way should be relied on for one of the main offensive catalysts on a club, which he was in Glendale. He is a complementary piece for the top 6 and that is what he's going to be with on the Avs. In a sense he's like Parenteau, PAP might suck everywhere else, but he did produce offensively for the Avs (no mistake about that). Arizona played him so much on the powerplay not because they wanted to boost his trade value (that's dumb by XX), they played him that much because they literally had NOBODY else to play there. Even with Domi and Duclair having good first seasons, they aren't impactful players yet, likewise with Reider.

His powerplay points will go down, no mistaking it because he won't have that much PP time here, but to think his 5v5 points are going to stay the same is a dumb argument. That Arizona club was overachieving throughout the year. It was a matter of time before they showed their true colours like they have in the last 7 or so games, in a way it made Boedker dry too. I mean he was posting 51 point potential the last three seasons, while posting 70ish this year. Those 51 seasons was with the freakin' Coyotes where OEL lead them in points. That is how bad Mikkel's offensive support was in terms of teammates, this season the team gets Domi and Duclair and he posts 70 points pace for the a little more than half of a season. Don't forget he was also in Tippets system as well. I understand your viewpoint when it comes to thinking Boedker isn't a 5.5 million dollar player, but I don't understand why we can't have some optimism that he can produce here, he will have the system and players to do so. If he continues to suck, then I will allow you to gloat to me all you want.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And you know that, cause you watched those Yotes games, or....

I didn't watch a lot obviously, but you can easily follow certain players.

Yeah I'm not going to completely discount what some AZ fans have said about him, as we've said the same things about Duchene, Landeskog and MacKinnon in certain stretches. They also have no reason to maintain any positive bias towards him after it being clear he wanted out of the organization.

He definitely has an 'Approach with caution' sign around his neck when looking at his whole game.

Ivan, we also should know full well not to trust advanced stats fully on the positive or negative side of things as well. If that's what you mean by following a player.

Edit : I think some of these advanced stats are plus/minus on steroids personally. Useful at a glance, but use caution when evaluating a player with them.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I haven't watched a lot of AZ games since Christmas which is kinda fitting for me as a Boedker homer since that's when he went downhill :laugh: but he was absolutely terrific from October to December. The few games I've seen since Christmas he seemed to sort of go through the motions but at least those motions were still tremendously quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad