Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Counterpoint: there are 11 teams currently below the salary cap floor. But yes, Drury would need to be willing to buy him out in this instance.
I think there are probably other cap dumps available where the team getting rid of their dump would pay assets for you to take on 'em

The cup finals could be over by tonight. The NHL calendar is moving fast. The draft is June 28-29. Next Friday-Saturday. NHL free agency starts two days later. Monday.
Sure, but it's still an unusual transaction at this particular time. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean a lot of people would. Kind of a silent rule not to try to overshadow the finals.

That said, I welcome it.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Worth a shot....somebody like Sharks might take him and then it gives us a chance to keep Wennberg as a 4th line C ...maybe ? if the price for him is Ranger friendly and if not we could possibly use Edstrom at 4C .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Awesome!

I really hope we don't overextend on some signing at free agency. We're a playoff team; give the kids on the roster and the ones knocking on the door a chance, then reassess a little later in the season.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The cup finals could be over by tonight. The NHL calendar is moving fast. The draft is June 28-29. Next Friday-Saturday. NHL free agency starts two days later. Monday.
Playoffs have been running way too late since the new TV deals. If Edmonton pulls this off tonight, we're looking at Game 6 being 1 week before the draft. I'm sure that Florida and Edmonton are doing their prep work for free agency and the draft, but what happens if there is an injury tonight or any game after this? Might be tough to have your ducks in a row when it comes to next season. What if you were planning on trading that player that got hurt? Might destroy a deal.

We need to get back on a calendar where the season ends between 6/14-6/18 the latest.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Those are the teams that don't want him!!!

We don't know what we don't know.

Playoffs have been running way too late since the new TV deals. If Edmonton pulls this off tonight, we're looking at Game 6 being 1 week before the draft. I'm sure that Florida and Edmonton are doing their prep work for free agency and the draft, but what happens if there is an injury tonight or any game after this? Might be tough to have your ducks in a row when it comes to next season. What if you were planning on trading that player that got hurt? Might destroy a deal.

We need to get back on a calendar where the season ends between 6/14-6/18 the latest.

The extended travel (warranted) gaps are adding to this because of how far away these two teams are from each other.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its a good move.

I like Goody and he is a f***ing gamer. Came up huge in the playoffs. But this team didnt win a Cup, changes need to be made. It was a contract that needed to be purged like 2 years ago.

Drury putting him on waivers to see if a team bites (hopefully) before a buyout imo. Kind of an odd process - I dont know if anyone will unless this was contrived for a certain team to grab him.

However, I'm a little more interested in what hes planning to do with the added cap space then how and where Goodrow ends up.

Reactions: leetch99

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Have to believe there's more coming than just this. Not sure that Drury is a buyout kinda GM - he might just have him in Hartford to start the year if there's no trade to be made.

There are worse guys you could have in the bullpen, that's for sure.

Doesn’t make sense Goodrow would just play

1.1 off add in say 800 k. That’s nothing

I’m hoping a creative move where he’s claimed then they likely deal an Edstrom to that team for nothing

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Worth a shot....somebody like Sharks might take him and then it gives us a chance to keep Wennberg as a 4th line C ...maybe ? if the price for him is Ranger friendly and if not we could possibly use Edstrom at 4C .
Don't want Wennberg back. Maybe he'd produce more with a full training camp and year with the team, but I don't see him taking league minimum either.

Reactions: leetch99

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He’s played his last game here. If Drury doesn’t have a team lined up to claim him, there’s zero reason to not buy him out.

The get a cap credit this year and pretty much every other year is negligible except for 26-27. Which that year, you’re basically paying the amount to have him play for you.

It’s a no brainer, hopefully Drury sacks up and does it

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad