Value of: Florida should trade Bobrovsky

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Quick, OP: What’s currently drunkt, happily living in income tax-free Florida, and has a partial NTC?

Bob isn’t going anywhere, because there’s no better place to be when the team is good, and he secured a NTC in his contract. It should be easy to game his NTC list to make it all but impossible for the teams not on it to trade for him.

Besides, he’s taken Florida to the finals two years in a row. The Panthers want to keep him.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Yeah I know they just won a cup with him.

But

Bobrovsky is maybe the most inconsistent goalie in the world

He has some great seasons like 2 Vezinas, sweeping the Lighting and winning the cup this season. But in between those highlights he's been mediocre to terrible.

There's no guarantee he will be good the remainder of his contract. In fact I'd bet against it.

The Panthers should trade him while his value is sky high.

I get what you're going for here, but one of the biggest problems is thinking his value is "sky high". He's a soon to be 36 year old goalie (age matters for teams that aren't in a competitive window and have a more long term outlook currently) with a 10 million dollar cap hit and a 16 team no trade that is ostensibly a full no trade for a goalie. The panthers would have a hard enough time just finding a team that they could move him to.

Like it or not, Florida is almost guaranteed to be "saddled" with him the remaining two years of his deal.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Its only 2 more years, and he just played terrific this season and the last 2 playoffs and is probably the biggest reason they made the finals twice in a row. Seems like they are getting their money's worth right now, which I think surprised a lot of people. They just won the cup and elite goaltending is a big part of why they were successful, and they are going to want elite goaltending again next season. I doubt that's gonna come from Spencer Knight next year.

At his ticket I doubt there are going to be a lot of buyers anyways, so its basically just unloading the contract for nothing. I don't really see why they desperately want to just unload the contract.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade him. A bit of an FU to him, to trade him right now. He was a major reason Florida won the cup.

From the perspective of other teams he's not the guy you want to sell the farm for. Great goalie but the bottom could drop out any moment. Kind of like buying a 15 year old supercar. Yeah, it still drives great, but for how long.

Florida is much better off just keeping the band together and going for a repeat instead of trading assets, like Bobo, off for a late 1st. Florida's core is very young. Why would they even consider not running the same team out again? Are they not considered a contender? Why are they risking wasting their core looking for a goalie?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Sergei Bobrovsky

CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting July 1, 2024: Player submits a 16 team no trade list.

I dont see him traded anytime soon even with that. But that does make it possible

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bob holds all the cards. Can’t imagine the organization would even approach him with a trade.
They won't, he's a hero to Panthers fans, and they now have just scored a whole new generation of fans with the title. A lot of young Cats fans have Bobby as their favorite player. How do you trade him days after winning the Cup? That's a good way to enrage a lot of these new fans. Plus totally disrupt the room. The room is where the Panthers' greatest strength comes from, they love each other and it's the tightest room in the league. They all love Bob. They'll bring Knight along slowly and phase him in as Bob declines.

Reactions: Voight and SnS

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Bob gets paid 6.5 and 6 million the last 2 years so for a club trying to reach the floor he has some value. But he just took the Panthers to 2 straight SCF appearances so just let him stay here and if he wants to re-sign for a discount keep him around he’s a great example and everybody loves him in the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dread Clawz

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
There was a reason why Bob was the first player that Barkov handed the Cup to. For all his ups and downs, he's been largely phenomenal in the playoffs the past two seasons and was a serious contender for the Conn Smythe.

The goalie market has also all but dried up at this point. Who's still seriously in need - Toronto, maybe Detroit?

Who would be the starter in Florida? They're a win-now team with a potential HOF goalie that just go the job done.

This makes less than zero sense.

seriously in need of a goalie like Bob?

Columbus. oh wait.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Speaking of that, any possibility Panthers retire his number if he plays two more solid years ?
He doesnt even need to finish his contract.

His number will 100% be next to Luongo's and Barkov's (AND Probably Tkachuk)

He will likely finish 2nd in wins to Luongo for the franchise (with significantly fewer losses). And it doesnt need to be said, all time playoff wins for a G.

• Wow
Reactions: ViD

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bobrovsky was a Flyers goalie briefly at the start of his excellent career, and Philly traded him away in order to keep Ilya Bryzgalov who was a complete mental case and he lasted on the team for 2 dreadful years. The Flyers continued paying Bryzgalov a huge contract until 2020, which was 2 years after Bryz left the NHL.
I sincerely doubt that Florida would bail out on the goalie who finally achieved the ultimate goal in the NHL.
I am glad for Bob for finally winning the Cup, even though I wish he was still wearing a Flyers sweater on the ice.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
as a fan of a team that just lost the Cup final to the Panthers...

When Bob is good, he's damn near unbeatable. One of the best in the game. When he's off, he's like Milhouse tied to the goalposts.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's one thing to let a guy like Kuemper walk to UFA after winning the cup, its one to trade someone like Bob who as instrumental in the teams success the last two seasons.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah I know they just won a cup with him.

But

Bobrovsky is maybe the most inconsistent goalie in the world

He has some great seasons like 2 Vezinas, sweeping the Lighting and winning the cup this season. But in between those highlights he's been mediocre to terrible.

There's no guarantee he will be good the remainder of his contract. In fact I'd bet against it.

The Panthers should trade him while his value is sky high.
🤣 If what you say is so......don't ya think the GMs are aware of it too.......so his value is not "sky high"

Panthers are keeping this core together.....including Bob.
Lightening blue print.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad