GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
“No one moved” isn’t a good enough excuse in year five. Part of the reason no one moves is that the team who has sat on cap space and prospects and picks the last three years is either unwilling or unable to complete trades. Don’t care what other teams do or don’t do. Things have to be done here. Or things have to be changed here.
If players won't waive NMCs to come to Buffalo, that's not entirely his fault. But he's also had 5 years to make the Sabres an attractive location, so part of it is.

For the record, I like Costanza at 14OA.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
“No one moved” isn’t a good enough excuse in year five. Part of the reason no one moves is that the team who has sat on cap space and prospects and picks the last three years is either unwilling or unable to complete trades. Don’t care what other teams do or don’t do. Things have to be done here. Or things have to be changed here.
It is not an excuse, it is the reality of the situation.

Adams cannot make another GM trade a player they don't want to move.

Other GMs could be waiting for UFA to kick off and then they move guys out for cap reasons. If it is July 29th and Adams hasn't made any moves to improve the roster, then is the time to get upset.

But, I am not there yet because so few moves have happened around the league.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
They took Ratzlaff, with the future in net presumably set for the next decade and Leionen and Ratzlaff developing into serviceable options, you still take one but imo, you take late stabs like Ratzlaff now 5,6,7 rounds.
Leinonen is a lost cause until further notice. Ratzlaff had a nice season and can hopefully butt into the WJC net. We'll take another today, likely in the rounds you suggest.

I agree that we don't NEED to take one higher, but if we're thinking about drafted players as trade chips, there's some appeal in trying to pick the correct Russian/Euro that turns into a star prospect. Almost every team is desperate for goaltending.

The Leinonen flop doesn't inspire any confidence in our G scouting though.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Meh, if he doesn’t do anything over the next week or so, it’ll be a wasted season and he will be fired. Might as well enjoy the prospects we pick!
In fact, if he does nothing, he could be fired as early as July or August so that another GM can give Lindy a competitive roster instead of the most unstable and young team in the league.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In fact, if he does nothing, he could be fired as early as July or August so that another GM can give Lindy a competitive roster instead of the most unstable and young team in the league.
I seriously doubt Pegula does that unless he were to convince Ken Holland to come here and take over. Given how he has ran the Sabres and Bills, that would be surprising to me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Leinonen is a lost cause until further notice. Ratzlaff had a nice season and can hopefully butt into the WJC net. We'll take another today, likely in the rounds you suggest.

I agree that we don't NEED to take one higher, but if we're thinking about drafted players as trade chips, there's some appeal in trying to pick the correct Russian/Euro that turns into a star prospect. Almost every team is desperate for goaltending.

The Leinonen flop doesn't inspire any confidence in our G scouting though.
Teams should take a goalie 2 out of every 3 drafts, if not every draft, IMO.

Hopefully they take another one somewhere along the way today.

Reactions: Fjordy and Dingo44

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Other GMs could be waiting for UFA to kick off and then they move guys out for cap reasons. If it is July 29th and Adams hasn't made any moves to improve the roster, then is the time to get upset.

Agreed - the only player that’s been traded that I had any interest in was Mangiapane but even he was a bit meh … and he totally could’ve blocked a trade to Buffalo with his no trade clause for all we know

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

I'm not buying that there are no GMs that want to move players that would help us. It seems pretty clear that there are many, even though it hasn't happened yet.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I don’t think that’s a possibility. The earliest KA would get fired is mid season if the team is bottomining out terribly.

I’m just saying, I agree that KA should be making NHL moves. And his failure to do so would likely mean his eventual firing. But regardless, if he just makes all his picks, might as well have fun with that and the prospects as fans.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t think that’s a possibility. The earliest KA would get fired is mid season if the team is bottomining out terribly.

I’m just saying, I agree that KA should be making NHL moves. And his failure to do so would likely mean his eventual firing. But regardless, if he just makes all his picks, might as well have fun with that and the prospects as fans.
I said last night to someone if he actually uses all of 14, 42 and 43…I would respect the hell out of his commitment to the bit. But 43 should be the last pick he is ever in charge of making.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I seriously doubt Pegula does that unless he were to convince Ken Holland to come here and take over. Given how he has ran the Sabres and Bills, that would be surprising to me.

No, it's clear that he won't be fired in a month if he hasn't done anything (unless Lindy somehow contributes to this if he is not happy with the composition). It would just be fair.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I said last night to someone if he actually uses all of 14, 42 and 43…I would respect the hell out of his commitment to the bit. But 43 should be the last pick he is ever in charge of making.

I don’t disagree, just saying that I’m separating his incompetence from the prospects drafted.

Sure, a miraculous flurry trades by him the week after could redeem him. But that seems far fetched.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
TRADE!!!

Screen Shot 2024-06-29 at 8.29.04 AM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: