Value of: Good RH PMD to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers need a good RH PMD. Thats the only thing I think we need to become a contender. We can give up almost anyone on the team, besides McDonagh, Skjei, Stepan, Ziba.

All others without NMC's could be traded, but realize you aren't getting players like Kreider, Buch, Miller without giving up a very good player.

Ideally, I'd like to trade players like Nash, Zucc, Klein, Fast, McIlrath.

Also, Blues fans, lets try not to turn this into another Shatty to NYR thread. :laugh:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Trouba is probably your only one rumored to be available.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Rangers need a good RH PMD. Thats the only thing I think we need to become a contender. We can give up almost anyone on the team, besides McDonagh, Skjei, Stepan, Ziba.

All others without NMC's could be traded, but realize you aren't getting players like Kreider, Buch, Miller without giving up a very good player.

Also, Blues fans, lets try not to turn this into another Shatty to NYR thread. :laugh:

I don't understand why ideally you'd like to trade Zucc and Klein.

A) We need a top 4 RD, which Klein is. So if you trade Klein, you're essentially creating a bigger hole.

B) Zucc is the heart and soul of this team and he's extremely productive on the ice. Why would you want to trade him? Frankly, I'd rather give up JT Miller over Zucc.

LiveLongandProspal

May 29, 2010
New York City
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but the guys I would put out there are Nash, McIlrath, Fast and one of our goalie prospects.

Marc Staal, Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass are obviously IDEAL to be dealt, but unrealistic.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but the guys I would put out there are Nash, McIlrath, Fast and one of our goalie prospects.

Marc Staal, Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass are obviously IDEAL to be dealt, but unrealistic.

I don't think you're getting a high end defensman for that. You'd basically need a team that really needs a high end scoring winger and is built to contend now, AND that can handle his salary...and is willing to move a likely important, high end, right handed piece from their defense. I'm not sure if that club exists. Nash has good value I think, moreso at this upcoming deadline IMO, but I don't think you'd have much luck finding a perfect fit for the Rangers in return.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't understand why ideally you'd like to trade Zucc and Klein.

A) We need a top 4 RD, which Klein is. So if you trade Klein, you're essentially creating a bigger hole.

B) Zucc is the heart and soul of this team and he's extremely productive on the ice. Why would you want to trade him? Frankly, I'd rather give up JT Miller over Zucc.

Klein is a #4/5D that got exposed playing as a 2D at points last season. He's also 31, has value around the NHL because he's a decent player with a good contract, and I don't want to extend him at age 33, so its best to try to trade him for a similar caliber player who might play a slightly different style. Also, I wouldn't mind if we traded him for a younger player, although the player doesn't have to be younger.

With Zucc, he's a very good player, but we don't need Zuccarello to win. We have good forwards without Zucc, we need to acquire a Top 4 RH PMD, otherwise we probably won't be contenders.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think you're getting a high end defensman for that. You'd basically need a team that really needs a high end scoring winger and is built to contend now, AND that can handle his salary...and is willing to move a likely important, high end, right handed piece from their defense. I'm not sure if that club exists. Nash has good value I think, moreso at this upcoming deadline IMO, but I don't think you'd have much luck finding a perfect fit for the Rangers in return.

We can also retain on players we'd be trading.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

your thread
disagree w/premise

stepan McD ARE available for top end returns

Pesce is the target

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
As a Rangers fan, we shouldn't be trading guys like Zucc, or Nash if we want to win. They're probably the best forwards besides Stepan. Rangers should be trying to trade second line players like Kreider, Miller considering they got Vesey.
Maybe Miller, Mcllrath, and a second for Shatty.

LiveLongandProspal

May 29, 2010
New York City
Klein is a #4/5D that got exposed playing as a 2D at points last season. He's also 31, has value around the NHL because he's a decent player with a good contract, and I don't want to extend him at age 33, so its best to try to trade him for a similar caliber player who might play a slightly different style. Also, I wouldn't mind if we traded him for a younger player, although the player doesn't have to be younger.

With Zucc, he's a very good player, but we don't need Zucc to win. We have good forwards without Zucc, we need to acquire a Top 4 RH PMD, otherwise we probably won't be contenders.

Klein is a top 4 RD. He's the best and most reliable RD on the roster right now. Fair point though. I think if we'd be better off trading him at the deadline or next year when he has an expiring deal. As of now, I would keep him and play him on the first or second pair, depending on who we get.

We said the same thing a couple of years ago and we ended up SORELY missing Zucc when he got injured. I think he's probably the third most valuable player on and off the ice behind Lundqvist and McDonagh. He's vastly underrated.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As a Rangers fan, we shouldn't be trading guys like Zucc, or Nash if we want to win. They're probably the best forwards besides Stepan. Rangers should be trying to trade second line players like Kreider, Miller considering they got Vesey.
Maybe Miller, Mcllrath, and a second for Shatty.

huge no
move vets not young core

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ummmm no.

um yes

yield to reality
McD
McDonagh 4.7 x3 + Ranger 3rd in 2017, and NYR 4th in 2018
for
Trouba, [RFA = 0, but will result in savings for Wini since it is not paying Trouba 6 or more] + Jets 2nd in 2017, and Jets 3rd in 2018
cap is close enough

this deal was approved by Maukkis who underscored he would not recommend it to NY in a vacuum, and that moving Trouba, a 9OA, was not cut and dried either; however, his final conclusion remains, objectively, for Jets getting McD on that sweet contract, and the balance it provides adding needed LD to ample RD, it was worth it, even if it meant also losing on two separate picks exchanges; NY takes on more cap.

McD is ideal for Wini, which is RD heavy.
Rangers eliminate that McD can invoke protection clause soon, and this trade defeats that; acquire Trouba, who will cost more $ now but will be more cost effective later, but they get younger and also add in an area of need, unless he is flipped....

Stepan
Stepan* (6.5) + three Ranger 3rds in 2018, 2019 and 2020
for
Pesce (809.166 x 2) + Murphy (787,500 x 2) + three Cane 2nds: return of Ranger 2017 2nd, Canes 2nd in 2017 and 2018, + cap dump Bickel 4.0 expiring

* has NMC clause but does not become effective til next season, so defeated with this trade.
Rangers gain just under 1m cap relief, moving 6.5, taking on a bit over 5.5

Why: CAR has excess of D, Step is a solid add. For NY, Pesce is exempt from expansion draft [not believed that is impacted by how many games he plays], which enhancement is huge value add for Rangers. Murphy not exempt, but interesting RD add and surplus for Canes who just want decent value add. NY gains position on equal number pick swap surrendering threes for twos, but has to eat expiring cap dump.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
um yes

yield to reality
McD
McDonagh 4.7 x3 + Ranger 3rd in 2017, and NYR 4th in 2018
for
Trouba, [RFA = 0, but will result in savings for Wini since it is not paying Trouba 6 or more] + Jets 2nd in 2017, and Jets 3rd in 2018
cap is close enough

this deal was approved by Maukkis who underscored he would not recommend it to NY in a vacuum, and that moving Trouba, a 9OA, was not cut and dried either; however, his final conclusion remains, objectively, for Jets getting McD on that sweet contract, and the balance it provides adding needed LD to ample RD, it was worth it, even if it meant also losing on two separate picks exchanges; NY takes on more cap.

McD is ideal for Wini, which is RD heavy.
Rangers eliminate that McD can invoke protection clause soon, and this trade defeats that; acquire Trouba, who will cost more $ now but will be more cost effective later, but they get younger and also add in an area of need, unless he is flipped....

Stepan
Stepan* (6.5) + three Ranger 3rds in 2018, 2019 and 2020
for
Pesce (809.166 x 2) + Murphy (787,500 x 2) + three Cane 2nds: return of Ranger 2017 2nd, Canes 2nd in 2017 and 2018, + cap dump Bickel 4.0 expiring

* has NMC clause but does not become effective til next season, so defeated with this trade.
Rangers gain just under 1m cap relief, moving 6.5, taking on a bit over 5.5

Why: CAR has excess of D, Step is a solid add. For NY, Pesce is exempt from expansion draft [not believed that is impacted by how many games he plays], which enhancement is huge value add for Rangers. Murphy not exempt, but interesting RD add and surplus for Canes who just want decent value add. NY gains position on equal number pick swap surrendering threes for twos, but has to eat expiring cap dump.

Within one page of the initial post:

OP: "I want to talk about trades for a RH PMD that don't involve McD, Stepan, Ziba, or Skjei."

Bern: "Screw that, let's talk about these two deals that worked like gangbusters on my video game that involve two of the guys you don't want to move!"

Once again, because you "disagree w/premise" and think you're so much smarter than everyone else, you jack ANOTHER thread.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Montour + 2nd is good value for Miller. I would also take that.

I'd rather move Kreider though.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A little late to the party. There's no good RD available now.

Pretty much my thought. What constitutes as "good"?

Top 4 PMD who is a right shot?

Those are pretty much unicorns at this point and to pry one off from another team would pretty warrant an overpay and likely create another large hole at forward elsewhere for NYR

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Pretty much my thought. What constitutes as "good"?

Top 4 PMD who is a right shot?

Those are pretty much unicorns at this point and to pry one off from another team would pretty warrant an overpay and likely create another large hole at forward elsewhere for NYR

I think the idea is to try to target a promising younger player who might be buried on a depth chart (hence the mentions of Montour). Said player might not pan out, but if the price is right, it could be worth the gamble. Right now, the Rangers have an absurd amount of young NHL-level wingers. Lots of middle sixers, some with more upside than others. My sense is that the OP was trying to get a sense for what the Rangers could get (in terms of unproven, buried RH PMD) in exchange for what we have to offer (young W).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

McDonagh off the table? That means Trouba would be likely off the table from Jets POV. Not interested or no need for any of the pieces you listed as trade bait. Jets would be out as a trade partner I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad