Good bye Glendening

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As someone who gets called a "contrarian" on a regular basis, you should know how dishonest this characterization is.

What is my first post on this thread? What do you think my opinion is on the decision to let Glendening go based on that post?

WHat's dishonest?

I know you probably value Glendening at more than the Stars paid him.
I imagine you liked Glendening more than I did - but that you liked him for all the same reasons I did.

So why do you continue to argue?

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kudos to whoever was behind signing him out of college, turned into a pretty damn good player in his specific role.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I liked Glendening's energy and I can respect that he was one of the better faceoff guys in the league, but he was and is completely expendable.

The fact of the matter is that he is a 4th line forward whose career best is 23 points. Only twice in his career has he reached double digit goals, 10 and 11.
As much as he's talked about as a great PKer the Red Wings haven't had a penalty kill above league average since 2015-16. (We were 81.55% while league average was 81.35%)

So what does this all mean? That we probably won't miss him on the ice. Or Darren Helm for that matter.

What Glendening leaving does is open up a hole for a younger player to fill full time, like Rasmussen. If Rasmussen can't replace Glendening's production over a full season then he is truly a bust.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wonder if we replace him with Chase Pearson, or should we go with center core of:

Larkin
Suter
Veleno
Rasmussen
(Namestnikov as spare option)
Pearson ?

Larkin and Ras are givens, I think.
Suter too.
That leaves one spot.
My guess is it will be Veleno or Namestnikov. Barring injury, I doubt it will be Pearson - though I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up for 5-6 games.

The big issue now is the PK
Glendening (130 minutes) and Hem (86 minutes) were the #1 and #2 ranked forwards, by minutes/game among forwards who played more than 10 games.
Namestnikov was third. (1:40)
Nielsen was fourth. (1.34)
Gagner fifth. (1:16)
Rasmussen sixth. (35)

Larkin only played 20 seconds a game. Seemed like the Wings were trying to lighten his load last year.

Bertuzzi also started the season on the PK and might get a longer look this season.

Guessing our top guys this year are
1. Namestnikov
2. Gagner
3. Larkin
4. Rasmussen
5. Bertuzzi

Maybe Pearson or Veleno get some PK time if they make the squad.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Your sarcasm isn't helping the tone of the conversation.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SoupNazi

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I liked Glendening's energy and I can respect that he was one of the better faceoff guys in the league, but he was and is completely expendable.

The fact of the matter is that he is a 4th line forward whose career best is 23 points. Only twice in his career has he reached double digit goals, 10 and 11.
As much as he's talked about as a great PKer the Red Wings haven't had a penalty kill above league average since 2015-16. (We were 81.55% while league average was 81.35%)

So what does this all mean? That we probably won't miss him on the ice. Or Darren Helm for that matter.

What Glendening leaving does is open up a hole for a younger player to fill full time, like Rasmussen. If Rasmussen can't replace Glendening's production over a full season then he is truly a bust.

What Glendening did was absorb the other team's top line and come out with a plus beside his name - despite this f***ing coach and this defense.

Rasmussen ain't gonna do that, even if he does score more than 2 5-on-5 goals this year.

Reactions: SoupGuru

jaster

Hanas chirps per 60 record holder
Jun 8, 2007
Oh, and I've met Glendening. And he's a bit of a dick, which is a rarity among NHL players, who are mostly very courteous and engaging. He and Mike Green were the only two guys on the roster, at that time, that acted like they were above the fans, too good to waste their time speaking to them.

I don't doubt you had a bad experience with a professional athlete. It's pretty common. Mine is from the 90s when I watched Kirk Gibson be an absolute tremendous jackass to a fan at JLA. My opinion dropped on him for years until I kinda realized that defining pro athletes (like people in general) based on a single interaction is rarely accurate. Maybe Gibby is a dick. But maybe not. Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he really wanted to be left alone during the first intermission of that Wings game. I dunno.

One of my good friends I graduated from UM with was first the SID and then Director of Hockey Ops for Michigan hockey for a long while. He knew all the players from every team across 15+ years very well (soooooo many great stories of so many players.... my favorite maybe being the night I was out drinking with JT Compher's mom after a game in Madison.... JT Compher's mom is cool as hell btw), including LFG. Luke's often a serious guy, and also a bit of a private guy. Nose to the grindstone, don't have time for excess noise type. Gruff is a first impression one may get from Luke. But he's not a dick.

Have to put that out there because while I enjoy the pushback against MBH, I have a hard time watching LFG taking collateral damage in the meantime.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I don't doubt you had a bad experience with a professional athlete. It's pretty common. Mine is from the 90s when I watched Kirk Gibson be an absolute tremendous jackass to a fan at JLA. My opinion dropped on him for years until I kinda realized that defining pro athletes (like people in general) based on a single interaction is rarely accurate. Maybe Gibby is a dick. But maybe not. Maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe he really wanted to be left alone during the first intermission of that Wings game. I dunno.

One of my good friends I graduated from UM with was first the SID and then Director of Hockey Ops for Michigan hockey for a long while. He knew all the players from every team across 15+ years very well (soooooo many great stories of so many players.... my favorite maybe being the night I was out drinking with JT Compher's mom after a game in Madison.... JT Compher's mom is cool as hell btw), including LFG. Luke's often a serious guy, and also a bit of a private guy. Nose to the grindstone, don't have time for excess noise type. Gruff is a first impression one may get from Luke. But he's not a dick.

Have to put that out there because while I enjoy the pushback against MBH, I have a hard time watching LFG taking collateral damage in the meantime.

You might be right. Maybe he was just having a bad day. It's not like he beat me up or cursed at me or anything, he was just nothing like Kronwall (who stood there and talked to us about our Swedish exchange student, and Sweden, and his family, for like 10 minutes) or Abby (whose muscles have muscles, but just a sweet kind person) or even Helm (who clearly was an introvert, but was floored when we showed him our Helm jersey, very self-deprecating and patient guy.)

So Glendening had a high bar to meet. Gruff is actually how I would have described him, so yeah, I think you're right.

I still didn't want him back though. Play the kids, see who can kill penalties and win faceoffs, and maybe score on occasion too, and drive play into the other team's end instead of mucking along the boards in our end for an entire shift.

jaster

Hanas chirps per 60 record holder
Jun 8, 2007
You might be right. Maybe he was just having a bad day. It's not like he beat me up or cursed at me or anything, he was just nothing like Kronwall (who stood there and talked to us about our Swedish exchange student, and Sweden, and his family, for like 10 minutes) or Abby (whose muscles have muscles, but just a sweet kind person) or even Helm (who clearly was an introvert, but was floored when we showed him our Helm jersey, very self-deprecating and patient guy.)

So Glendening had a high bar to meet. Gruff is actually how I would have described him, so yeah, I think you're right.

I still didn't want him back though. Play the kids, see who can kill penalties and win faceoffs, and maybe score on occasion too, and drive play into the other team's end instead of mucking along the boards in our end for an entire shift.

All's fair in love and pro athlete meetups :laugh:

Osgood is probably the nicest Wing I've met or had a conversation with, just an awesome dude. Something is obviously wrong with him because he's a goalie, but I don't know what it is lol. Draper was cool too. Another time I was in Madison for a Michigan/Wisconsin game in early 2016 and I ran into Draper in the concourse. He was there scouting Kunin (and maybe others) for the upcoming draft. It was intermission and he was just walking through hundreds of people, with no one seemingly recognizing him. I actually walked right by him and was like wait, that's Kris Draper. Turned around and shouted "Drapes," and he turned around, was very gracious, got a picture with him and had a very brief conversation about scouting.... while he was there working and scouting, and busy, and yet he took the time to BS for a minute with a rando fan. He could have easily ignored me. I thought that was pretty cool.

I understand not wanting LFG back. I generally agree with your take, but for me LFG is an exception and I would have liked to have had him as the one veteran, stabilizing force in the bottom-6. Instead we have Gagner, which, whatever. I probably don't dislike him as much as most, and I understand having his right-handedness on the PP I guess, but I'd still rather have Luke. In the end, I admit it doesn't really matter much. In a couple years neither will/would be on the team anyway, and we won't be a competitor before then. Luke is more entertaining to me than Gagner though.

Reactions: SoupNazi

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If he left for a shot at winning before retiring, so be it. However, two years at $1.5M for your hardest working, most reliable bottom 6 player and a top 10 face off man?!?!

Huge LFG fan. His career is a great lesson on perseverance and hard work. Good luck to him.

2020-21 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Faceoffs - National Hockey League - ESPN

Faceoffs Won Leaders - All Players

RKPLAYERTEAMGPGAPTS+/-PIMFOWLPCT
1Patrice Bergeron, C BOS542325482716114771443362.2
2Ryan O'Reilly, C STL562430542618119670449258.9
3Sidney Crosby, C PIT55243862826126267658653.6
4Anze Kopitar, C LA56133750-710115466149357.3
5Bo Horvat, C VAN56192039-623122564857752.9
6Jordan Staal, C CAR53162238230108362845558.0
7Leon Draisaitl, C EDM563153842922103157445755.7
8Aleksander Barkov, C FLA502632581214102656346354.9
9Christian Dvorak, C ARI56171431-1112106255350952.1
10Luke Glendening, C DET54691532085952333660.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: MBH

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Glad he's off the roster.
Want to see a more offensively minded Red Wings going down the road, and Glendening doesn't fit that bill.
That being said, hope he has success in Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad