TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Man this just doesnt come anywhere near hitting the same that GOT did for me. I think a big part of that is just knowing that eventually all these people will die/fail so there isnt really that much suspense. We already know the end out come... Also being basically stuck around Kings Landing and Dragon Stone really hurts. GOT you were always in new places and areas with new scenery. An aspect of this feels kinda stale for HOTD.
I wouldn't have known that if people in this thread knew how to use f***ing spoiler tags.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
G.R.R. Martin sure doesn't make it easy for us folks who haven't read the books or re-watched past seasons to remember character names.

Aegon
Aemond
Vaemond
Daemon
Rhaena
Rhaenyra
Daenerys
Jacaerys
Jaehaerys
Jaeharea
Laenor
Laena
Larys
Varys
Vyseris

I have a hard enough time trying to keep Bill & Ted straight. :laugh:
One of the reasons I watch with closed captions

Reactions: Osprey

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I assume the 3rd son of Alicent and clearly the other son of Aegon will not be in series? Never have mentioned Alicent's 3rd kid existence and clearly did away with other son of Aegon

I never read books but in leadup to HOD I got rundown of characters, etc and these are both clearly missing

Last edited:
Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I assume the 3rd son of Alicent and clearly the other son of Aegon will not be in series? Never have mentioned Alicen's 3rd kid existence and clearly did away with other son of Aegon

I never read books but in leadup to HOD I got rundown of characters, etc and these are both clearly missing

I believe Alicent's 3rd son is part of the show (in Oldtown currently), but Aegon's 2nd son named Maelor is NOT in the show...if he was, it would've made the Blood & Cheese scene much more dramatic.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He was, but to be fair they did ask "what if we don't find him?" and although we didn't see the answer, I have to assume it was to find really any son I guess of the family
So assassins aren't immune from halfassing it at work.

Anytime I hear the term "Assassins Guild" in fantasy it makes me think: 'You got a work order for that assassination pal? Cause I don't take a dump without a work order." "Kill the King on his Nameday?! That's a holiday, it's gonna be triple time and a half."

• Haha

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I believe Alicent's 3rd son is part of the show (in Oldtown currently), but Aegon's 2nd son named Maelor is NOT in the show...if he was, it would've made the Blood & Cheese scene much more dramatic.
Spoil
Yeah, IIRC his only other "on-screen" time in the book is when him and Rando-Kingsguard #3 are caught at the in and the in universe speculation is that he was either torn apart by a mob or hugged to death by an obese washerwoman described as "simple". Between that and B&C his only "purpose" was pure shock value, and the show is arguably better without either instance.

Daeron is far more important though, getting rid of him would be a massive deviation

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What do you mean?

They constantly talk about the fall of the Targaryens during GOT. This is telling that story.
The Targaryens fell due to Robert's Rebellion which has nothing to do with this show. They ruled for almost another 200 years before they fell. They hardly mention any of these characters in GOT at all. Even if they did that was years ago and it was a very minor point in the show.

Watches Captain America: "There was a World War ONE?
Good post, makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
According to the showrunner, Maelor isn't in the show because, for the sake of compressing the timeline and not having to re-cast as many actors, they made the kids younger than they were in the book, and since Maelor was the youngest, he isn't born yet (if ever):

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Internet is too sensitive with spoilers as is, but especially for this show…the major plot point was already mentioned in GoT and the book is 6.5 years old.

If you don’t want spoilers stay out of the thread

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Finally got to watch it yesterday, what a f***ing ending!

Being in Winterfell and at the Wall to start the season hit all the right notes.

It’s going to be a wild ride this season!

King Aegon’s sister is quite interesting, so she’s basically able to to foreshadow into the future? 2-3 times now she’s hinted at something major that happens.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Internet is too sensitive with spoilers as is, but especially for this show…the major plot point was already mentioned in GoT and the book is 6.5 years old.

If you don’t want spoilers stay out of the thread
You gotta be kidding here. How about you go start a thread for book readers like we did with GOT. At least we had the decency not to spoil shit for the viewers who hadn't read the books. "The internet is too sensitive with spoilers" yeah it's crazy that people get mad about shows being ruined for them. And once again, the plot point mentioned in GOT was an episode from over 10 years and not a significant moment. Pretty silly to think everyone would remember that. I've even read the original book series and still don't remember how this civil war ends outside of people here saying they all end up dead.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And once again, the plot point mentioned in GOT was an episode from over 10 years and not a significant moment. Pretty silly to think everyone would remember that. I've even read the original book series and still don't remember how this civil war ends outside of people here saying they all end up dead.
The poster didn't say they all end up dead- they said they will all die/fail. It's a civil war with WMD's in a Universe/by an author that has clearly established that characters die and things don't go well for people. The end result is a Targaryan on the throne and a weakened dynasty. That's not a spoiler, it's well established cannon.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Finally got to watch it yesterday, what a f***ing ending!

Being in Winterfell and at the Wall to start the season hit all the right notes.

It’s going to be a wild ride this season!

King Aegon’s sister is quite interesting, so she’s basically able to to foreshadow into the future? 2-3 times now she’s hinted at something major that happens.
She is a Cassandra

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Stop f***ing posting spoilers. Not everyone remebers shit from a 10 year old season of GoT, let alone not everyone here as even watched that show.
These types of shows are forever lost with spoilers and discussion. Was same shit with GOT. People just posting vague shit that oh I think this might happen then they know for sure that's what is going to happen. Sucks because it really kills discourse. I don't even bother trying to read discussions about this show because I was spoiled enough during GOT

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Common courtesy just post spoil tags, the universe gave them to us. I did not watch GoT nor read any books, and while I know that Things will be happening, not everyone does and don’t know where or when.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You gotta be kidding here. How about you go start a thread for book readers like we did with GOT. At least we had the decency not to spoil shit for the viewers who hadn't read the books. "The internet is too sensitive with spoilers" yeah it's crazy that people get mad about shows being ruined for them. And once again, the plot point mentioned in GOT was an episode from over 10 years and not a significant moment. Pretty silly to think everyone would remember that. I've even read the original book series and still don't remember how this civil war ends outside of people here saying they all end up dead.
It’s a spinoff series based on in-show lore. I’ve never read the books. Get yourself up to speed and stop crying, otherwise stay out of the the thread

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It’s a spinoff series based on in-show lore. I’ve never read the books. Get yourself up to speed and stop crying, otherwise stay out of the the thread
Seriously? You're the one acting like a spoiled little punk. A global moderator already made a decision on this anyhow so either start using spoiler tags or start your own thread.

• Haha

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Start your own thread if you want to talk stuff from the book, it's not difficult to not talk about something with people who don't want to hear it.
Based on posts and discussion earlier in the thread (especially how the thread immediately died a couple days after the trailer because someone complained about book talk, and how pretty much the only discussion of substance from Ep1 is about B&C expectations), I'd say the reality is reversed and there are more people than not in the thread that already have an understanding of what's happening/going to happen. It's not 2012 anymore. When GoT launched ASOIAF had sold something like 12million copies. Now it's up around 90, with A World of Ice and Fire (summary of HoD events) nearing 10 years old, Fire & Blood (HoD detailed) nearing 6. Joffrey explicitly "spoiled" (maybe-did he know what he was talking about?) one aspect in season 3 of GoT. Shireen mentions the story in broadstrokes in season 5- and season 5 extra content outlines the whole goddamn story in detail, as voiced by GOT characters in an animated featurette.

I suspect that the overlap of people that care enough about the subject matter to talk about it on a hockey message board and the people that have consumed some of the above media is kinda high, and we're no longer looking at a minority of "book readers" spoiling things for the majority as it was during the early GoT run, instead at a minority of "in the darkers" demanding that the discussion be neutered for their benefit.

In the end the board rules are the board rules, but if every insight/thought/opinion, is going to be going to be met with "iS ThAT a SPoiLEr???" it's pretty easy to see this either becoming a dead thread where 5 guys tweet about their initial reaction every Sunday, or one that is 70% spoiler tags.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Based on posts and discussion earlier in the thread (especially how the thread immediately died a couple days after the trailer because someone complained about book talk), I'd say the reality is reversed and there are more people than not in the thread that already have an understanding of what's happening/going to happen. It's not 2012 anymore. When GoT launched ASOIAF had sold something like 12million copies. Now it's up around 90, with A World of Ice and Fire (summary of HoD events) nearing 10 years old, Fire & Blood (HoD detailed) nearing 6. Joffrey explicitly "spoiled" (maybe-did he know what he was talking about?) one aspect in season 3 of GoT. Shireen mentions the story in broadstrokes in season 5- and season 5 extra content outlines the whole goddamn story in detail, as voiced by GOT characters in an animated featurette.

I suspect that the overlap of people that care enough about the subject matter to talk about it on a hockey message board and the people that have consumed some of the above media is kinda high, and we're no longer looking at a minority of "book readers" spoiling things for the majority as it was during the early GoT run, instead at a minority of "in the darkers" demanding that the discussion be neutered for their benefit.

In the end the board rules are the board rules, but if every insight/thought/opinion, is going to be going to be met with "iS ThAT a SPoiLEr???" it's pretty easy to see this either becoming a dead thread where 5 guys tweet about their initial reaction every Sunday, or one that is 70% spoiler tags.
Exactly. Excellent post and thank you. At some point enough is enough. I’d like to be able to freely talk about the show without posters acting like I’m throwing a beer in their face when something is mentioned.

The whole hook of HoD is a telling of a commonly known bit of lore. The details have been available for quite some time now and I think some posters are being a little too sensitive. It’s not something I feel I have to be courteous of, personally. It would be much, MUCH nicer to talk about things freely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad