WC: Gold winner - poll - World Hockey Championships 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins the gold in 2022 WHC?

• Finland

• Canada

• USA

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• Czechia

• Slovakia

• Germany

• Denmark

• Latvia

• Norway

• France

• Kazakhstan

• Italy

• Austria

• Great Britain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I would've wanted to go watch any team Finland game but I didn't have 175+ euros to spend on a ticket. Also would need to grt to Tampere as well but oh well. I bought cmore to watch all the games for 1/6 of thr price.

I bought nothing. I'm from Helsinki. Something like Canada vs Switzerland could be an interesting one to go to if the ticket prizes aren't too high for that.

If one game in Helsinki group is played at the same time as Finland's game = more empty space in the Helsinki group's simultaneously played matches, unless the ticket prizes are almost free. That's the sucky part for the other group

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I bought nothing. I'm from Helsinki. Something like Canada vs Switzerland could be an interesting one to go to if the ticket prizes aren't too high for that.
I believe those would be like 30-70 euros a ticket IIRC. I live in Vaasa so Tampere is closer but still not close haha.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Canada vs Switzerland - played at the same time in other group = Finland vs Austria.

That's a complete blow out win for Finland most likely but the crowd will tune in for the Finland game anyways. Perhaps there are some exceptions among the people who don't even want to watch the Finland vs Austria game.

C-More is probably good for watching the overlapping games. Maybe they have some kind of spoiler free system.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I checked the ticket prices for the Canada-Switzerland game and the prices started from 44 euros. But I think thats the worst seats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220507-002157_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220507-002157_Chrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I really have to say that for the first time ever I'm more interested in the NHL-play offs than the upcoming world's even though none of the NHL-teams means anything to me.

No, my lack of interest in the worlds is not because Russia is not there. I fully support banning Russia from all international sport.

The competition itself just needs something of a revamp.

This time around, like every four years, it has the "not again" - feel about it as there was just the olympics a short time ago.
I'm also thinking about whether to watch every match in Sweden. I never missed a single Sweden-Austria match and honestly watched everything. But my lack of interest in these matches is partly due to the fact that Sweden's senior team has worrying results, incompetent leadership and my interest has shifted to watching the WJC, HGC and U18.

My time watching sports also significantly shortened football. But that's the end of it, I only watch one club and I only need a livescore for the rest. Football has 90 minutes, that's too much for me, I'm bothered by delaying the game, filmed falls and boring passages, hockey is much better. In addition, when there are commercial breaks, I can make a quick meal, go to the toilet or check the score from other matches.

As he correctly wrote, the Olympics were a few months back and there is another tournament. I wouldn't mind if the Senior World Cup was once every two years. The WJC or HGC should definitely pay more attention.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I checked the ticket prices for the Canada-Switzerland game and the prices started from 44 euros. But I think thats the worst seats.

It sounds a bit high. Too bad that Sweden and Finland are in same group. If Sweden was in that other group they could've had a good amount of fans on that Helsinki arena, being the neighboring country and having an easy and cheap access to travel with a boat here. The tournament organizers could've lured the Swedish fans in the non Sweden games as well by selling some ticket packages on a low cost.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It sounds a bit high. Too bad that Sweden and Finland are in same group. If Sweden was that in that group they could've had a good amount of fans on that arena, being the neighboring country and having an easy and cheap access to travel with a boat here.
True, but happens. Russia being out really hurts the people organising the tournament. Will lose a lot of money. We all know why but from a business standpoint kinda sucks since I think they use part of that money to improve Finnish hockey.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
True, but happens. Russia being out really hurts the people organising the tournament. Will lose a lot of money. We all know why but from a business standpoint kinda sucks since I think they use part of that money to improve Finnish hockey.

As a consolation they might give the 2023 Russia's WHC tournament for Finland to host again, but we'll see what happens. Canada did get Russia's U20 tournament I believe and is hosting 3x U20 tournaments back to back now, so why wouldn't Finland also get a back to back WHC tournaments to host with the same logic. I hope that Finland gets to host it.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
As a consolation they might give the 2023 Russia's WHC tournament for Finland to host again, but we'll see what happens. Canada did get Russia's U20 tournament I believe and is hosting 3x U20 tournaments back to back now, so why wouldn't Finland also get a back to back WHC tournaments to host with the same logic. I hope that Finland gets to host it.
I hope so, maybe then I'd actially have a chance to go watch a game i don't see a reason why we wouldn't be able to do b2b

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Finnish site listed the NHL players of each country so far. I copy pasted it so it has some Finnish words, but I think that you will understand the names. I guess that there's not much info about Canada yet by this site.

Finland:
Harri Säteri, maalivahti (Arizona Coyotes)
Henri Jokiharju, puolustaja (Buffalo Sabres)
Juho Lammikko, hyökkääjä (Vancouver Canucks)
Joel Armia, hyökkääjä (Montreal Canadiens)

Czech Republic:
Karel Vejmelka, maalivahti (Arizona Coyotes)
Filip Hronek, puolustaja (Detroit Red Wings)
Radim Simek, puolustaja (San Jose Sharks)
Jakub Vrana, hyökkääjä (Detroit Red Wings)
Dominik Simon, hyökkääjä (Anaheim Ducks)
Dmitrij Jaskin, hyökkääjä (Arizona Coyotes)
Tomas Hertl, hyökkääjä (San Jose Sharks)

Sweden:
Magnus Hellberg, maalivahti (Detroit Red Wings)
Oliver Ekman Larsson, puolustaja (Vancouver Canucks)
Adam Larsson, puolustaja (Seattle Kraken)
Rasmus Dahlin, puolustaja (Buffalo Sabers)
Erik Gustafsson, puolustaja (Chicago Blackhawks)
Rasmus Asplund, hyökäääjä (Buffalo Sabers)
Emil Bemström, hyökkääjä (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jonatan Berggren, hyökkääjä (Grand Rapids / Detroit Red Wings)

Slovakia:
Adam Huska, maalivahti (Hartford Wolf Pack / New York Rangers)
Tomas Tatar, hyökkääjä (New Jersey Devils)

USA:
Alex Nedeljkovic, maalivahti (Detroit Red Wings)
Jon Gillies, maalivahti (New Jersey Devils)
Nick Blankenburg, puolustaja (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jordan Harris, puolustaja (Montreal Canadiens)
Caleb Jones, puolustaja (Chicago Blackhawks)
Seth Jones, puolustaja (Chicago Blackhawks)
Jaycob Megna, puolustaja (San Jose Sharks)
Andrew Peeke, puolustaja (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Nate Schmidt, puolustaja (Winnipeg Jets)
Riley Barber, hyökkääjä (Detroit Red Wings)
Kieffer Bellows, hyökkääjä (New York Islanders)
Thomas Bordeleau, hyökkääjä (San Jose Sharks)
Sasha Chmelevski, hyökkääjä (San Jose Sharks)
Alex Galchenyuk, hyökkääjä (Arizona Coyotes)
Adam Gaudette, hyökkääjä (Ottawa Senators)
John Hayden, hyökkääjä (Buffalo Sabres)
Sam Lafferty, hyökkääjä (Chicago Blackhawks)
Vinni Lettieri, hyökkääjä (Anaheim Ducks)
Karson Kuhlman, hyökkääjä (Seattle Kraken)
Austin Watson, hyökkääjä (Ottawa Senators)

Germany:
Philipp Grubauer, maalivahti (Seattle Kraken)
Moritz Seider, puolustaja (Detroit Red Wings)
Tim Stützle, hyökkääjä (Ottawa Senators)

Switzerland:
Dean Kukan, puolustaja (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Janis Moser, puolustaja (Arizona Coyotes)
Niko Hischier, hyökkääjä (New Jersey Devils)
Timo Meier, hyökkääjä (San Jose Sharks)
Pius Suter, hyökkääjä (Detroit Red Wings)
Jonas Siegenthaler, hyökkääjä (New Jersey Devils)

Denmark:
Nikolas Ehlers, hyökkääjä (Winnipeg Jets)

France:
Alexandre Texier, hyökkääjä (Columbus Blue Jackets)

source:
Huska is not playing for us. Rangers have him on the taxi squad, and anyways he was a disaster last year and has had a pretty average season so not bad that he won’t join. Rybar has earned the job anyways

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Finland is the heavy favourite

-Best national team coach in the world

-Experienced core on the team that has had great success recently

-Home ice advantage in the most hockey obsessed nation

-Russia out of the tournament, one less contender to worry about.

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
Voted Finland though I have no clue who'll be playing.

The international hockey seems to be dying slowly. Bring back the best on best Olympics and Canada / World Cups

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The international hockey seems to be dying slowly. Bring back the best on best Olympics and Canada / World Cups
Mm? Recent World Championships with the exception of Russia in 2016 have reliably been among the best attended in history and there's no reason to believe this year would be too much of an exception despite the very disadvantageous international situation. Also there are at least half dozen serious contenders whereas for example the Canada Cup tournaments really relied on just two countries going at it.

For example at the '87 Canada Cup the game between USSR and Sweden in Calgary attracted 3,055 spectators despite being one of only two games in town and twenty in the entire tournament. Likewise in '84 in Vancouver 2,438 spectators watched Sweden play Czechoslovakia. In '81 USSR against Finland in Winnipeg with 2,412. Today old-timers sometimes speak of these events like they were a magnificent festival of hockey never seen again since, but it's a bit more nuanced than that. Sure the highest highs were truly memorable, certainly for Canada, but international hockey as a whole is much better off now. The most recent World Cup of Hockey was only a sad joke anymore, but the World Championships have been increasing in quality. The Olympics with fans back in Italy will surely be a more positive event as well whether it's with or without NHL players.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland is the heavy favourite

-Best national team coach in the world

-Experienced core on the team that has had great success recently

-Home ice advantage in the most hockey obsessed nation

-Russia out of the tournament, one less contender to worry about.

You forgot the home curse! Personally I really think that Jukka Jalonen is breaking all kinds of Finnish records so I don't honestly see how he couldn't break this one also.

Reactions: Hasa92 and FinPanda

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Mm? Recent World Championships with the exception of Russia in 2016 have reliably been among the best attended in history and there's no reason to believe this year would be too much of an exception despite the very disadvantageous international situation. Also there are at least half dozen serious contenders whereas for example the Canada Cup tournaments really relied on just two countries going at it.

For example at the '87 Canada Cup the game between USSR and Sweden in Calgary attracted 3,055 spectators despite being one of only two games in town and twenty in the entire tournament. Likewise in '84 in Vancouver 2,438 spectators watched Sweden play Czechoslovakia. In '81 USSR against Finland in Winnipeg with 2,412. Today old-timers sometimes speak of these events like they were a magnificent festival of hockey never seen again since, but it's a bit more nuanced than that. Sure the highest highs were truly memorable, certainly for Canada, but international hockey as a whole is much better off now. The most recent World Cup of Hockey was only a sad joke anymore, but the World Championships have been increasing in quality. The Olympics with fans back in Italy will surely be a more positive event as well whether it's with or without NHL players.

I think that international ice hockey is in a good spot when this covid stuff stops bugging the international hockey. That's why it might feel to some people like its dying. Empty stances and canceled tournaments are never good things.

The other part that hurts hockey is NHL and Gary Bettman with their antics of not letting the best players to play in the Olympics and they don't feel bad enough to compensate that with more frequent World Cups either. They should understand that there should be one best on best tournament every 4 years or even more often. If one gets canceled, they need to fix the situation faster than they have and set the next tournament to start earlier.

Reactions: illone84

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa

I had the level of hockey and importance of the world champion title in mind. I'm glad the attendance is fine and rising. It's good that hockey is still popular in Europe.

However, I'd rather pay money to watch a low-attendance Russia vs Sweden game with the KLM line playing Gustafsson, Thomas Steen and the Sundströms than a 15k spectators match between pretty average KHLers and second-rate NHLers.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Finland national team under Jalonen is an institution. He's built so strong foundations to this team, and there isn't better coach to prepare his team for imporant games. Basically you need to win 3 tough opponents to win gold medal and that is enough for Finland no matter who they are playing against. Finland should be favourite to win any non best vs best tournament.

We all know that WHC really begins during QF, every game before that is pretty much practising for big nations.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm liking Canada's chances more and more with each new addition. :) Should be good enough to play in the GMG at least. That's always a good afternoon warmup to that evening's NHL playoff schedule.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Marchand and Bergeron would be a great additions, but I can't see it happening.
Can't see Boston winning that first round series with Carolina.

It's a bit worrying for Boston that Hampus Lindholm isn't playing, but Boston just won without him at home and another home game is coming. This series could go either way still.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm liking Canada's chances more and more with each new addition. :) Should be good enough to play in the GMG at least. That's always a good afternoon warmup to that evening's NHL playoff schedule.
As you know, Canada is on a great run at the World's! 5 of last 6 finals. I actually think this is Canada's most succesful tournament amongst WC, U18 and U20. I could be wrong though. Hlinka I imagine is the most successful. This is in reference to the last 5 years or so.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I really have to say that for the first time ever I'm more interested in the NHL-play offs than the upcoming world's even though none of the NHL-teams means anything to me.

No, my lack of interest in the worlds is not because Russia is not there. I fully support banning Russia from all international sport.

The competition itself just needs something of a revamp.

This time around, like every four years, it has the "not again" - feel about it as there was just the olympics a short time ago.
The Olympics, for a Czech person, are long since forgotten.haha

Jokes aside.. .it was a weird tournament without fans and games played at 3am. So happy for the Slovak's mind you.

I cannot wait for this one. It sucks that Russia doesn't have a team as I think more competition is better. (no politics, just referring to a very good team not playing).

Last year's worlds was weird too.

I can't wait for a non covid, hopefully packed arena's tourney. I do worry about the ticket prices and empty arena's though. They really need to tier the ticket prices to get more people in building (if nothing else they will buy beer.lol).

This might be the first 'normal' tournament since 2020 World Juniors.

Totally agree we need best on bests, a Euro Championship, pro Olympics and a revamp. None of that is coming despite me typing it over and over.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad