GDT: Gold Medal game - Swiss vs Česko

Who wins the Gold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czech nation has gone mad for tonight’s final. Starting at 8:20pm local time, some Czech shops including huge chains like Penny will close early at 7pm so that their employees can go home to watch the hockey.

TV Nova, the biggest TV channel of the country (but apparently not with hockey broadcasting rights) has changed their programming tonight, they’ll do some re-run of something instead of what was originally scheduled, because they think nobody will watch it anyway.

Czech TV published data that on Saturday, 76% of switched-on TVs followed ice hockey.

This is from an article on isport.cz
Make no mistake.. I don't give a shit it's not a best on best. We win this.. I'm going streaking in the streets.lol I do not deny it means a lot to me as a Czech fanatic.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Make no mistake.. I don't give a shit it's not a best on best. We win this.. I'm going streaking in the streets.lol I do not deny it means a lot to me as a Czech fanatic.
I remember 100k people parying at the market place when Finland won in 2011 after last winning in 1995. They actually had to move the party for the future wins because there was so many people and it got dangerous. We were so hyped and excited. It must be the same for the Czechs. its just a big party.

Video of it, it was insane

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The Czech nation has gone mad for tonight’s final. Starting at 8:20pm local time, some Czech shops including huge chains like Penny will close early at 7pm so that their employees can go home to watch the hockey.

TV Nova, the biggest TV channel of the country (but apparently not with hockey broadcasting rights) has changed their programming tonight, they’ll do some re-run of something instead of what was originally scheduled, because they think nobody will watch it anyway.

Czech TV published data that on Saturday, 76% of switched-on TVs followed ice hockey.

This is from an article on isport.cz
Impressive stuff. I wonder what would the figures be for Switzerland?

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
The 1996 is a reference to the World Cup... and US sent a HOF laden roster and won it.

Also, always put an asterisk beside 2005 becuase that was a best on best. NHL lockout and everyone was available. It's very important to me that asterisk.lol
Yes, I agree. We won that but never seem to to get credit for the best on best nature of that tournament.

What are we calling this?

Big pluses vs Checks (paycheck)

Fromage suisse
Bouncing Czechs? (And if we win, these Czechs didn’t bounce)? Etc.

Reactions: CanadaIsIrrelevant

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I have no particular fave anymore (was fairly sure that the Czechs would face the boring Canada in the final); Czechia is the home team and they haven't won anything significant for a while, but Switzerland, come on, what a great story that'd be. Then again, would the world championship give Swiss hockey a big boost, or would it just be "meh" at large?

BTW, I see a lot of trust in Pastaman in the comments, but somehow I really doubt that he'll deliver in this game either. (Possibly a very humble apology following later by Yours Truly.)

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, I agree. We won that but never seem to to get credit for the best on best nature of that tournament.
It's because we won it.lol

You never hear about the 81 Canada Cup either.lol

However, that 2005 Canadian Junior team that benefitted from the same lockout.. holy f***, I hear about them a lot.lol

That was the end of our peak.

It's funny because I don't even know how this team compares..

we're not on a miracle 2010 run
2005 was a great roster that simply won
Nagano was a confusing roster that won with team play - so maybe this is most similar to our Nagano run? Stylistically anyways.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Some updates for the Czech team.

Krejcik wants to play but it isn't guaranteed. He took a Dahlin shot right to the face and broke his nose. Played in 3rd with a cage. Then went to hospital to get some 'procedures' done.

Now you may be wondering, who the hell is Krejcik?lol Most posters were not happy he was on the roster (me included). Well, he's been our Top D for minutes. He'll never make the NHL, he's not a household name but he's over 20 a game and plays all situations. So that is one of our Top 4 guys.

Another Top 4 guy, Rutta is suspended. Now Rutta you may know. He's an NHL Dman that has won a Cup and can support a top guy. He's had a great and quiet tourney. No mistakes. Then he lost his mind yesterday.

So we may be down 2 of our Top 4 D.

Jakub Flek was sick (which is a shame but I would've wanted Stransky in lineup regardless, his best match was against the Swiss as he plays there and seems to have some hop in his step against them) and he has been officially replaced by Jan Scotka.

You may wonder who the hell Jan Scotka is.lol He's another Dman no poster wanted on the roster. A very straight forward, 1980's style type player. He's been with the team training solo for the tourney.

So we will definitely have 6 Dmen and maybe even 7. So that is good. Losing Rutta is big for us. Potentially losing Krejcik is also big for us. That would mean Scotka gets a regular shift after last playing in Brno. And Spacek would get a regular shift and I'm not sure he's ready for that.

So there is 'drama' on our side.
This is a big deal.. will be watching the lineups closely. I'll be watching this over Rangers/Panthers.

Reactions: Czechboy

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
With all due respect.. have you seen your Swiss team this tourney?

There is no chance of a lopsided score today. This is going OT.. it's going to be excruciating for both of us and probably 2-1 or 3-2. No idea for who but this will be a very close and low scoring game. If we can get 3 past the Swiss I'd be surprised.
Czechboy, unfortunately I have been around so long in this world that nothing surprises me anymore. Furthermore, I have seen close to 50 years of Swiss sports of all kinds to unfortunately confirm that the worst case scenario, even if unlikely by all metrics, can and does happen to us. Not that often, but not that seldom either.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, the two teams I was rooting for in the semis made it to the final. Now I have a difficult time to decide who to root for.
On one hand I always like the Czechs and would love for them to win gold in front of their home crowd, but on the other hand I feel it is overdue that Switzerland goes all the way. They have been a thorn in the side of the top nations for so long and thrived in the role of the plucky underdog even at the best-on-best level. And while our rivalry is real, it has always been a friendly one for me.

If I have to choose I think I'll go with Switzerland in this one, but if the Czechs end up winning I will still be happy for them, too.
Should be a relaxing game to watch even if it goes to multiple OTs.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Krejcik is in. Rutta is out which is a big loss.

I don't expect Vozelnik or Scotka (who hasn't played in 3 full weeks) to see much ice. I love Spacek but Top 4 seems ambitious as he needs a bit of sheltering (IMO). I probably would've gone with Kundratek there.

Love the Top 9 - 2 x NHL lines and a very strong Euro line (with 'fake NHLer's Kase and Sedlak).

4th line is interesting as Stransky is a very good NLA player (he actually outscored Cervenka in the NLA) and Tomasek led the Swedish league in goals. Not bad for a 4th line.

Can't believe we are here. Don't think we will be back anytime soon. Hope we can capitilize on this cinderella run.

Good luck Switzerland!

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Here we go boys, let's bring home the gold finally!!!! Ceskooo

Attachments

• IMG_20240526_194804.jpg
    IMG_20240526_194804.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 2

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
I hope Czechs win , they played the best hockey (particularly in the match against Sweden).

I don't mind Switzerland either, but Czechs deserve it the most I think ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad