Goalie situation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It is certainly fair/reasonable to question Toronto's goaltending... Toronto has 1 goalie making more than $900k this year, and it's a career backup making $2.5m. They have 3 goalies, and are spending a total of less than $4.2m on the position.

Only Washingon & Calgary are spending less on the position than Toronto.

To think that Joseph Woll is going to be given the full reigns to start 55+ games, the single-minded focus to put him in night after night, even if he has some mid-season struggles or whatever, is pretty farfetched.

The Leafs have games to win. They're going to put the guy in who they feel gives them the best chance to win on any given night.... not just Joseph Woll because "he's got the potential". Joseph Woll is probably your defacto opening night starter, but Anthony Stolarz is going to have every opportunity to win the starting job from him, just like Woll had the opportunity with Samsonov last year.

Overall, the Leafs goaltending is probably going to be a little bit of "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks"; especially given Woll's injury history.

For me, the real interesting question is Matt Murray. While I think they're prepared to let Dennis Hildeby play NHL games this year if needbe, I get the sense that they really don't want to lose Matt Murray as a guy that can come up in the event of injury. However, at the same time, there is the challenge of the 23 man roster limit.

If we assume Pacioretty signing.... Barring any LTIR to start the season, if just one of Cowan/Minten get to start with the team, the Leafs would be looking at exposing Connor Timmins, along with 2 of Reaves/Dewar/Robertson/McMann/Holmberg on waivers in order to avoid exposing Murray. That, or giving Matthew Knies the Nick Robertson treatment and starting him in the AHL.

If they want to see what Cowan and Minten can do with the 9-game shot, you're now looking at dropping 3 of those forwards.

Part of me wonders, if the arrangement with Pacioretty might be to play preseason games, maybe do an Alex Nylander to start the year, and then bring him up on an NHL deal when the roster space opens due to injury.

I feel like they're going to have somebody on the team dedicated to studying what the rest of the league is doing day-by-day to try and predict the most optimal day to try and sneak Murray through waivers.
I don't know about this.

This is a lot of micro managing over a 3rd string goalie.

If Murray is undeniably good, then Toronto will have to make accommodations for him. Conversely, maybe they can get a solid return for him in a trade.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't know about this.

This is a lot of micro managing over a 3rd string goalie.

If Murray is undeniably good, then Toronto will have to make accommodations for him. Conversely, maybe they can get a solid return for him in a trade.

He's unlikey to be "undeniably good"; and certainly unlikely to hold much trade value when there's lots of other goalies going on waivers aroudn that time.

The reason that Murray is important to the Leafs is because both of their goalies are highly inexperienced (at least in a #1 role), and one of them has substantial durability concerns. In perfect world, a team in the Leafs position would probably want to carry 3 goalies; but that's a tough thing to do when they're so bloated with waiver-eligible forwards.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Am I the only one concerned with the goalie situation.

Every year in the playoffs the goalies let the team down one way or another. At the most important time of the season last year Samsonov shit the bed and Woll got injured. Nobody could possibly have seen that one coming I guess.

Every year the team's response is to get even more questionable with the most important position in the sport.

Murray, Stolarz, and Woll. A hope, a wish, and a prayer. It's like counting on Larry, Curly, and Moe to build a house without getting hurt and botching the job in the process.

You just know someone will be riding in an ambulance and there's gonna be a huge mess to clean up.

This team doesn't have cup contending goaltending. It doesn't matter which one is starter, backup, or relief either. No matter how you mix these three together it doesn't equal a Bobrovsky or Vasilevski.

You could put all three in net at the same time and on the first shot two of them would get hurt and the other would let it in.

You aren't. Woll has potential but he is a band-aid. Stolarz is a 30-year-old journeyman and vastly overpaid.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Murray is actually healthy and surprises us during pre-season, I’m looking to carry 3 goalies to start the season. All 3 are injury prone, it’s only a matter of time one gets injured.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If Murray is actually healthy and surprises us during pre-season, I’m looking to carry 3 goalies to start the season. All 3 are injury prone, it’s only a matter of time one gets injured.
Unless they can figure out how to make a 23 man roster, 3 goalies is a luxury they cannot afford

Reactions: banks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Noting... if somehow we can't keep Murray on the roster, and he's claimed, Martin Jones is still not signed. I'm fine with Murray, or Jones as a 3rd goalie.

Reactions: banks

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unless they can figure out how to make a 23 man roster, 3 goalies is a luxury they cannot afford
not to mention they'll need a 7th D man for sure with the age and injury history of some of the new guys.........

Noting... if somehow we can't keep Murray on the roster, and he's claimed, Martin Jones is still not signed. I'm fine with Murray, or Jones as a 3rd goalie.
I'm not convinced a healthy Murray will be the odd man out in this scenario, who can stay healthy and who can stop the puck is what to watch for, I wouldn't be surprised if Woll's hurt before the start of the season, just seems logical it would happen..........

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Woll only has 36 NHL games under his belt and can't seem to stay healthy. Stolarz has been a career back-up, but decent stats throughout his career. Murray can't stay healthy either and hasn't been very good in quite some time. So admittedly, I am very concerned about the team's goaltending.

Reactions: rumman

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Woll only has 36 NHL games under his belt and can't seem to stay healthy. Stolarz has been a career back-up, but decent stats throughout his career. Murray can't stay healthy either and hasn't been very good in quite some time. So admittedly, I am very concerned about the team's goaltending.
I feel that a tandem might work

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
As much as I think Samsonov was a really good person and teammate, I will feel better this year not seeing him in the Leafs crease.
Guy had a heart of gold, but he obviously let the job get to him, I hope that’s in his past and he finds success or at the very least realizes he’s held a job very few get a chance to do and there’s more to life then being a NHL goalie……

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bower didn't make the NHL until he was 29. Thomas didn't make the NHL until he was 28 and didn't become the starter until he was 32. Just because someone is older and hasn't become #1 yet, does not mean they don't have the potential to be an excellent goalie.

So a lot less than 1% of goalies have followed that path?

You want someone who can be injured by the air moved by the average fart to be their #1? Brilliant idea.

Just because someone was injured before doesn't mean they will be injured again...

You're holding onto more hope about Stolarz turning into an all-star than this? Crazy.

Your two posts contradict each other.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

My gut feeling tells me Stolarz will be the most reliable of the three. Unfortunately Woll will continue to be a band-aid and frustrate with his combination of high ceiling and low availability goaltending. And Matt Murray will be a pleasant surprise because expectations are very low. But I also can’t see him actually being healthy for long stretches.

Woll’s game is incredible but I think our real solution might be at the Hildeby generation.

Reactions: rumman and banks

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You want someone who can be injured by the air moved by the average fart to be their #1? Brilliant idea.
Yes, I would love if Matt Murray was healthy and can return to his 1A form. Like I mentioned in my previous post you quoted, I’m not expecting it though. Brilliant response.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Woll can stay healthy in theory it should work, but if he doesn't it becomes a concern.
The whole teams success/failure will heavily rely on whether the D and G can stay healthy……..

You could say the exact same about Woll…….

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad