GDT: [GM80] Canucks @ Oilers | Sat. Apr 13th, 7:00pm | HNIC/SNP | We Have the Best Conor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I get what he's doing. The modern NHL is about rolling 3 lines that can score. This is a departure from what Tocchet used to work with when he first started in the league:

Dependable 1st line
Average 2nd line
Checking line
Goon squad/Energy line

That said, he's really trying to unlock offense across 3 lines when we don't have the guys to do this. Lafferty, Blueger, Suter, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, and PDG have largely regressed back to their norm or are just never going to provide you regular scoring. Hell, even McDavid couldn't help Connor Brown score. It's just best to do the simple things, even if it means employing old tactics.

I wish he had focused on keeping the top 6 as is (Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Garland and Joshua/Lindholm) and done some adjustments in the bottom 6 to see if we could unlock an effective checking line.

To have success in the post-season, any and every team needs guys like the bolded to get hot at the right time. Doesn't have to be for an entire stretch run, but the likes of them absolutely must chip in the odd goal here and there. They all had pretty hot starts to the year before cooling off considerably - hopefully they can take turns heating up in the post season.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Bad idea. Perry and Hyman leave very little space btwn them and goalies. Don't need him being pushed or fallen on top of.
Demko needs game time before the playoffs to get back in a groove. I think he should play all three remaining games if he's healthy.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Canucks probably gonna get run over.

Canucks are struggling against teams the Oilers stomp on. I would be shocked if we sweep the season series.

It's only fitting that McDavid gets his 100th assist against us as the Canucks love to help players hit milestones.

Hughes, Garland, Joshua, Miller and Hoglander have been good but the others need to step up, especially Petey. Top players should be able to carry and drive play.

Reactions: quat

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
No kidding. I thought he was really good yesterday - and we want him to score. And we pair him with...Di Giuseppe and Mikheyev?

I get that the top two lines have been doing well as of late. But personally, I'd roll with this -

Podkolzin - Miller - Boeser
Lindholm - Pettersson - Hoglander
Garland - Blueger - Joshua
Lafferty - Suter - Mikheyev

I think you spread the size, speed and skill to all the lines, reunite some combos that worked, and give Petey and Lindholm a chance together to build some chemistry. I don't even really care which one plays C and which one plays W.

Near the end of last game, the top 6 was:
Joshua - Petterson - Garland​
Lindholm - Miller - Boeser​
and they were all over the o-zone for the last 10 minutes of regulation.

I'd try that again tbh. Lindholm can't carry his own line, and Blueger/Suter are fine centering the 3/4th lines.

But IF Petterson gets rolling again, what you suggested is my preferred lineup too, if we have the ability to spread out the scoring lines.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really don’t want to see them go to Demko so I’m hoping that Edmonton loses tomorrow.

Just think that’s a tough environment to put Demko back into.

Go to DeSmith.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We need Demko back. He's a top 5 goalie... imagine taking a top 5 player away from anyteam, of course they're going to struggle.

I want Lindholm and Demko both getting the rest of the season so that they're sharp and ready for playoffs.
Lindholm looked real good last night. Need more of that

Last edited:

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
If McDavid is back and Demko isn't back, the Canucks are going to get destroyed.

If McDavid is back and Demko is back, it could be a relatively close game but the Canucks will probably still lose.

If McDavid isn't back and Demko isn't back, the Oilers probably win.

If McDavid isn't back and Demko is back, it's probably a toss up, leaning toward a Canucks win.

All of my predictions will probably be wrong though, because it's the Canucks.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
If McDavid is back and Demko isn't back, the Canucks are going to get destroyed.

If McDavid is back and Demko is back, it could be a relatively close game but the Canucks will probably still lose.

If McDavid isn't back and Demko isn't back, the Oilers probably win.

If McDavid isn't back and Demko is back, it's probably a toss up, leaning toward a Canucks win.

All of my predictions will probably be wrong though, because it's the Canucks.
Canucks winning no matter what my guy

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Looks like Tocchet is inching closer to playoff lines. Boeser maintenance day so Aman is a placeholder

Suter Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Mikheyev
Joshua Lindholm Garland
Podkolzin Blueger Lafferty

I don’t hate it. PDG is useless get him out.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I really hate seeing both Suter and Mikheyev in the top six. At this point, I'd rather see Podkolzin just to try something different. His tenacity could mesh well with Miller and Boeser.

You just knew Tocchet would stubbornly keep Lindholm on the third line. So... hooray for Mikheyev on Petey's wing for the umpteenth time.

Reactions: quat

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
pdg and aman have been the same guy who’s just on the ice with occasional bursts and consistent positioning for months now

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Unfortunate Lindholm bagged 0 points and a -2 last night because I thought he had a real good game, definitely upped his compete level and gave his all in the PK. But looks like he's being pushed down the lineup because Tocchet wants Petey and Miller to be centering their own lines; if you reunite Blueger with Joshua/Garland then Suter has to be moved down to center the 4th line and that doesn't seem to be an option right now.

Aman over Podz in the lineup is pretty questionable, guy's role is to basically be invincible and hopefully not get caved in while Podz provides a substantial physical and forechecking presence. Not sure what coaching is seeing there. Fine with PDG being up, he's always good for a few games but needs to ride the pine when he runs out of juice.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
I really hate seeing both Suter and Mikheyev in the top six. At this point, I'd rather see Podkolzin just to try something different. His tenacity could mesh well with Miller and Boeser.

You just knew Tocchet would stubbornly keep Lindholm on the third line. So... hooray for Mikheyev on Petey's wing for the umpteenth time.
Ugh, Suter has one goal in his last 30 games and if we're stapling him to Miller again, it seems like he's a tweener just dragging down the line. Agreed, I'd try Podkolzin there.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Why can't we just f***ing stick to set lines? Tocchet is really f***ing lost right now.

Unfortunate Lindholm bagged 0 points and a -2 last night because I thought he had a real good game, definitely upped his compete level and gave his all in the PK. But looks like he's being pushed down the lineup because Tocchet wants Petey and Miller to be centering their own lines; if you reunite Blueger with Joshua/Garland then Suter has to be moved down to center the 4th line and that doesn't seem to be an option right now.

Aman over Podz in the lineup is pretty questionable, guy's role is to basically be invincible and hopefully not get caved in while Podz provides a substantial physical and forechecking presence. Not sure what coaching is seeing there. Fine with PDG being up, he's always good for a few games but needs to ride the pine when he runs out of juice.

Why acquire Lindholm if we were planning to use him as a non-scoring 3C? Could have gotten someone like Henrique along with a winger. Another game with different linemates giving him zero chance to develop any chemistry.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

At this point if the ref gets to call this type of shit we are screwed.
I thought this was fine. Zadorov/Myers calls were bad.

It went both ways. Canucks got away with a couple of obvious ones in the 3rd and also drew a penalty after an icing got waived off which I didn’t understand, looked like the Canucks clearly iced it to me.

Vegas game was actually one-sided, they got away with so much shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad