Post-Game Talk: [GM78] Canucks defeat Golden Knights | 4-3 (Garland(2), Hughes, & Boeser) | All the Milestones

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
So AZnightmare said:

"Do you think Tocch has the balls to keep Shelob in net?"

Wonder how many got the reference. Sadly I have read LOTR about 40 times in the last 55 years.

Anyhow, a nice win .... well done boys.

Edit: oh if you think you are a LOTR's nerd, I can list 9 inn's from the books.
You and me would get along kindly.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I see a lot of love for Silovs and I agree he had good moments this game, but every goal he let in could've been stopped with a bit better goaltending. Which is good for his future potential but I'd temper expectations if he ends up getting starts over DeSmith.

I agree on 1 and 3. Thought the second goal was one pretty much anyone would have been hard pressed to stop.

He settled in nicely and finished strong, and giving us 3 wins in 3 starts is huge. But some more work and maturity needed, and my hope is he’ll be ready to push for the backup job in September.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
So AZnightmare said:

Wonder how many got the reference. Sadly I have read LOTR about 40 times in the last 55 years.

Absolutely nothing sad about it, nothing. An accomplishment to be proud of, those are among the best books of all time and only get better the more you read them.

Ppl waste way more hours on way worse, stupider, less productive, harmful bs nonsense things every day.

Reactions: stampedingviking

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks the better team and did a good job of responding to some pretty deflating goals and some more (does it ever end) shoddy reffing to get the win. Showed a lot more of the tight defensive game they showed earlier in the season.

Garland - been on team Garland since he got here. Early on forced to carry bottom lines. Showing now how much he could produce if giving anything like a decent offensive opportunity. Might have been the most consistent player this year. All those who were insisting we trade him (remember one poster suggesting we give him up for near anything just to dump his salary) should hang their heads in shame and realize they, in this case, they didn't have clue about hockey.

Miller - still not back to the level he was earlier but a significant player in this game. Looked better on PP.

Hughes - much better than last Vegas game even though he scored a couple in the earlier game. Guy takes such pride in his play. Put everything into his shot and it was effective in this game. Always looking to improve. Great competitor.

Joshua - think he has established he is the most improved player (over people like Hoglander) Strong in so many aspects of the play. Skating (at one time a weakness) is now emerging as strenght. His range has increased greatly and he was good two ways in this one.

Mikheyev - nice game. Ditto the Joshua comment. Was quickest in on forcheck and kept pressure on the puck in his end. Podkolzin did fine as well and hustle and effort were first class.

Zadorov - thought he did a good job of bringing the puck out of his zone and forcing play wide defensively. That was nasty slue foot by Howden and looked like a deliberate attempt to injure.

Others

Silvos - needs to be better. First and third goal both looked stopable and his rebound control was poor. Parts of game look decent but not establishing he is ready for the NHL.

Soucy - up and down game. Thought he gave up too much room at times and took another bad penalty. However he did step up to make some hits and was very good in the last minutes.

Pettersson - maybe expectations too high but had opportunities to unload his shot yet often didn't seem to time it well. Again slow moving the puck. However, was a good net presence and worked boards at both ends of the rink pretty well. I think a postive step but somehow has to untangle himself from all the close checking he gets. Look at Eichel and the room he gets and you want Pettersson to learn to do this as well.

Canucks must find someone to win late faceoofs. Lost last 4 easily and one reason team scores so few open net goals. Best part of the game is that it looked like the PP might finally be coming alive.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So AZnightmare said:

If you haven't read The Wheel of Time, you are missing out. Don't watch Amazon's butchering.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I agree on 1 and 3. Thought the second goal was one pretty much anyone would have been hard pressed to stop.
I think on that goal he was a bit too far out trying to cut the angle when the puck was already close to the goal line so when the cross crease pass was made he didn't have the post to push off from and you can't cover that distance without insane athleticism.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Me three. I'm sitting at 23 runs through the books in the last 20 years. Couldn't name 9 inns, though, haha. Green Dragon, Prancing Pony... yeah.
Green Dragon in the Shire
Golden Perch in Stock
Prancing Pony by Barliman Butterbur in Bree
The Foresaken Inn one day east of bree
The Floating Log .... Eastfarthing in Frogmorton I believe
Old Guest House - Minas Tirith
Ivy bush - Shire
Bridge Inn - shire
All welcome Inn - Shire

I am not entirely sure this list is correct, I wrote it down years ago, when I was in one of those moods. Surprised I was able to find it in a book of crap I keep.

Edit - I went by memory and had the prancing pony by barley butter man. thought it was wrong and looked it up on line. my bad.

Re-edit - Its the Old Guesthouse ... and I spent 20 minutes on lines looking through stuff by other nerds, and for the most part the list above is pretty much most of it. The floating Log isn't mentioned where I looked, will have to try to figure out where I got it from. I know its in the books somewhere.

RE re-edit - okay the floating log was where they planned to stay on the way home, but it was closed down before the scouring of the Shire.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lol reading the GDT is funny. Very reactive! Team played very well, including folk's favourite punching bags. Pettersson put on selke quality defense and was huge around the net.

Silovs had some rough moments but you can see how much better rebound control than DeSmith makes the team game much less jittery.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Absolutely nothing sad about it, nothing. An accomplishment to be proud of, those are among the best books of all time and only get better the more you read them.

Ppl waste way more hours on way worse, stupider, less productive, harmful bs nonsense things every day.
Sadly, 95% of what I read is books I have read before. I have maybe 300 books I rotate through every 2 - 3 years, and probably 100 of those are the series I like best. (25 Andy carpenter books, the travis Mcgee books, Hunger Games, The Girl books) {the last one was written by someone else and sucks} etc. Some of the best written books ever written were by Nevil Shute by the way. At least 15 of them.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Garland getting huge chants again during the 1st star. Just grinning
Him walking off after his post-game on-ice interview intro was just.... Epic!
Good for him.. Good for the fans for understanding their recognition of great performances is meaningful. Such a nice moment.

After JTM acknowledged how amazing that moment was for him and family, I'm so happy that resonated with the fans... And then they 'blessed' Garland with the same... Truely awesome..

WHOSE NEXT!?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Sadly, 95% of what I read is books I have read before. I have maybe 300 books I rotate through every 2 - 3 years, and probably 100 of those are the series I like best. (25 Andy carpenter books, the travis Mcgee books, Hunger Games, The Girl books) {the last one was written by someone else and sucks} etc. Some of the best written books ever written were by Nevil Shute by the way. At least 15 of them.
When I win the lottery my dream is to get 1st editions of the books that made me fall in love with reading.

Wizard of oz, the Hobbit, call of the wild, and every one of the dark tower, well pretty much every one of his books from him.
I read IT when I was like 10 after my older brother left it behind when he moved out and after finishing my mom asked me how it was and I told her how Beverly banged all her friends to seal the pact and was immediately banned from his work and my mom made my Dad come over and give me the talk😂

• Love
Reactions: Nick Lang

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
bringbacktheskate604 said:
When I win the lottery my dream is to get 1st editions of the books that made me fall in love with reading.

Wizard of oz, the Hobbit, call of the wild, and every one of the dark tower, well pretty much every one of his books from him.
I read IT when I was like 10 after my older brother left it behind when he moved out and after finishing my mom asked me how it was and I told her how Beverly banged all her friends to seal the pact and was immediately banned from his work and my mom made my Dad come over and give me the talk😂 [/quote=bringbacktheskate604]

Arturs Shelobs

Lord-Of-The-Rings-Nervous-Shelob-Lair-Frodo.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad