Post-Game Talk: [GM20] Canucks lose to Avalanche | 2-5 (Hoglander & Miller) | Ref Show

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Im probably alone on this island but

I actually dont think Petey and his line had a bad game, pretty decent actually just no puck luck

Obviously you expect better from Pettersson
Not alone. Petey was trying all night. He didnt stickhandle into D, didnt fall down all the time, didnt have bad body language. Had no production but was skating hard

• Love
Reactions: calnuck

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It's not fanboying when I trust his talents and know that he's trying to playthrough something
This is not a isolated incident. This is a pattern now. He plays poorly for long stretches of time each season.

That’s NOT somebody you should commit 11M+ too

He won’t ever lead us anywhere unless he gains some mass.

JT Miller is our best forward.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This is not a isolated incident. This is a pattern now. He plays poorly for long stretches of time each season.

That’s NOT somebody you should commit 11M+ too

He won’t ever lead us anywhere unless he gains some mass.

JT Miller is our best forward.
well, i disagree. that's all i have to say

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Allvin needs to do something on defense. We are battered and bruised back there. Freidman is now injured as well. If we’re trying to be competitive, it’s unacceptable to have a d pairing that consists of Juulsen, Myers, and a 34 year old Cole.

Pettersson also needs to be better. Looking like 2021 Petey out there. Tonight was probably one of the worst games I’ve seen him play.

Mikheyev seems to play with no urgency in his game. Very soft board play, gets outmuscled too easily, just no real motor. He has these short bursts of energy and then it quickly lets off. I don’t think he’s a good fit on the top line.

Hoglander has been terrific and has easily been one of our best forwards these last stretch of games. I’m hoping he gets more minutes and is given a shot higher up in the line up.

Another non factor game from PDG and Blueger. 2 guys who have been far too inconsistent for my liking. Blueger has no real chemistry with anyone yet. He’s probably still getting his legs up to speed but he still looks very rusty and a far cry from how he looked in the pre season.

Garland and Beauvillier have been largely effective 5 on 5 but you have to wonder if you can possibly move these guys for help on defense. Garland skates miles but doesn’t really accomplish a whole lot. Beauvillier has been good alongside Lafferty but has been completely useless anywhere else in the line up. He’s clearly a miscast on this team with no real role.

The main takeaway from this game is that we lack quality depth and a lack of role players on this team. Too many finesse players.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
This was a "hope we can win this" game, but reality set in after we lost out on that 5 min. major. Their defense is stronger than ours and we needed to score 1 or 2 on that major. C'est la vie.

Moar defensive depth needed - broken record, I know.

Reactions: geebaan and Flik

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Allvin needs to do something on defense. We are battered and bruised back there. Freidman is now injured as well. If we’re trying to be competitive, it’s unacceptable to have a d pairing that consists of Juulsen, Myers, and a 34 year old Cole.

Pettersson also needs to be better. Looking like 2021 Petey out there. Tonight was probably one of the worst games I’ve seen him play.

Mikheyev seems to play with no urgency in his game. Very soft board play, gets outmuscled too easily, just no real motor. He has these short bursts of energy and then it quickly lets off. I don’t think he’s a good fit on the top line.

Hoglander has been terrific and has easily been one of our best forwards these last stretch of games. I’m hoping he gets more minutes and is given a shot higher up in the line up.

Another non factor game from PDG and Blueger. 2 guys who have been far too inconsistent for my liking. Blueger has no real chemistry with anyone yet. He’s probably still getting his legs up to speed but he still looks very rusty and a far cry from how he looked in the pre season.

Garland and Beauvillier have been largely effective 5 on 5 but you have to wonder if you can possibly move these guys for help on defense. Garland skates miles but doesn’t really accomplish a whole lot. Beauvillier has been good alongside Lafferty but has been completely useless anywhere else in the line up. He’s clearly a miscast on this team with no real role.

The main takeaway from this game is that we lack quality depth and a lack of role players on this team. Too many finesse players.
Disagree, i think the EP line was buzzing in the 3rd. Just didnt score

Joshua had an open net and missed it. Had he put that one in we having a differen convo

This was a "hope we can win this" game, but reality set in after we lost out on that 5 min. major. Their defense is stronger than ours and we needed to score 1 or 2 on that major. C'est la vie.

Moar defensive depth needed - broken record, I know.
The major quickly became a 4v4 period

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think you can blame puck luck when like proven 30-40 goal scorers go on a cold streak.

It's a different story when guys like PDG, Beau, Joshua, etc. are flubbing good chances.

That's not a luck issue, that's a skill issue.

Not sure what we are expecting here.

PDG is a journeyman AHL/NHL tweener with little offensive upside.

Beau is a bottom 6 winger who was percieved as clutch by a dinosaur GM and was rewarded with a stupid contract.

Joshua is a 4th liner making league min.

Garland is a middle 6 winger that can probably rack up points on a crap team if given the ice time. He has zero chemistry with the current roster and sometimes seems like he hates playing for this team.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

I actually think the bottom 6 was good this game. Special teams took them out of the game

Reactions: Josepho

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Someone open up the tank thread

I'm on it

the-simpsons-riding-on-tanks-0kxozlq6eubtiw29.gif

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Don't really see the team getting significantly better on D until Myers and Beauvillier are gone. That's a lot of salary that could really improve the d though for next year. The team is still playing well this year, so it's a year to build on. Maybe win a round or 2 in the play-offs.

Reactions: Flik and wonton15

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Aside from the obvious defense needs, this team desperately needs an Alex Tuch type heavy sparkplug in the top 6. Like a Valeri Nichushkin.
Problem is every team in the league wants a guy like that in the top 6. The ones who have them aren't trading them for anything less than an overpayment. Have to open the pocket books.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I have to say it, Juulsen looked great tonight. He looks a lot more relaxed out there. Been stepping his game up the past few games. Great to see since his first few games were a disaster.

Myers doesn't look so chaotic either.

Onto the next one..Go Canucks.

Reactions: alternate

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I have to say it, Juulsen looked great tonight. He looks a lot more relaxed out there. Been stepping his game up the past few games. Great to see since his first few games were a disaster.

Myers doesn't look so chaotic either.

Onto the next one..Go Canucks.
If Juulsen ties it up from the slot we just have such a different vibe coming from this game, but since he biffed it and Makar's breakaway deflected off Demko's shoulder we get all sourpuss. Game of inches folks. This reminded me of the NYR game, we can't be mad about the process just because it didn't give us the right result this time

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Overall very well played game definitely need one more solid dman avs goalie was huge for them and deplete d last 10 showed tough loss played well on to next one

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Aside from the obvious defense needs, this team desperately needs an Alex Tuch type heavy sparkplug in the top 6. Like a Valeri NicNichushkin
Ideally top pair D and top line winger. Fill those two rather large holes and this teams a perennial playoff team that could make some noise.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
#Canucks hit the 20-game mark at 13-6-1. A far cry from the 7-10-3 mark of a year ago

No shame in that performance by the #Canucks. Definitely a few areas that need to be tightened up but VAN's overall 5v5 play was really solid

Lots to like about the effort from the against a bona fide buzzsaw. Put Colorado under duress in the third while trailing, but just didn’t generate enough scoring chances 5-on-5 generally and in the final frame in particular.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
idk why so many ppl are disappointed this is the reality of this team. our good start is the product of playing weak teams.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Interesting note: at 4:35 remaining in the second period, Elias Pettersson just took his first faceoff of the game

Theory that it's his wrist again is picking up steam.

EP hasn't been himself for a few weeks here. He's putting up Miller type underlying #'s 5 on 5. That's a clear sign. Wonder if it's more than 1 injury He's not going to sit out because he has 100 mill on the line and Nucks aren't going to sit him out because they have no 1 else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad