Post-Game Talk: GM05 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Philadelphia Flyers | 3-0 (Hoglander, Boeser, & Sherwood) | Tyler Myers 1000 Game Club Success

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
No hate but he seems pretty redundant considering our forward depth.
Depth is good though. We aren't that far from having Bains in the Line up.

It's been 5 games and he's played on a different line almost every game on a new team. He's perfectly adequate and paid appropriately and does have the flexibility of moving around the Line up and is a smart player.

He has fit in nicely with Blueger and Sherwood lately and if he ends up with Suter and Sprong or Aman on the 4th line then we have a very strong 4th line. Having all these guys like Hoglander, Garland, Joshua, Blueger, Sherwood, Heinen, Suter, Sprong who can play up and down the line up will come in handy over an 82 game season and if we want to make a good playoff run.

I'm pulling for him. He seems like a good guy.

Fyi... Mikheyev wasn't a bad player by any means... he was just overpaid.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Dominant team performance in the first half, but then they stopped playing for a bit before regaining their footing defensively in the middle of the third.

Lankinen was huge - if Silovs was in net, this could've easily turned into the Calgary game all over again in the second. Has to get the majority of starts moving forward until Demko is back, he's just in the zone. His tracking & positioning is top notch right now, and he's always in control of his movements.

Petterson took another step forward. It's not vintage form, as his powerplay work is still inexeplicably poor (he used to be our best zone entry forward, and that's gone to crap), but his unit set the tone and most consistently applied pressure when the team was dominating. Had one shift before the 2nd and 3rd goals that was really promising. Hopefully these are steps towards him getting back to what he used to be vs. stopping here. Garland + Hogs continued their fine form to start the year.

Might have something with Blueger + Sherwood. Those two have shown great chemistry so far. Danton Heinen just kind of exists as a third wheel wherever he goes in the lineup (which isn't a bad thing - if you're a streaky point getter, being net neutral when you're not scoring is a boon). Them forming an effective third line, and Garland/Petey generating chemistry in the top 6, would do a lot for the overall forward structure moving forward.

Really like Brannstrom in his limited minutes. They don't need a PK or PP guy in that 6th spot with the way the defense is constructed - it's more important that they win those soft minutes that they do get. Seeing the puck go tape to tape instead of boards and out while Hughes is on the bench is refreshing to say the least.

Powerplay still needs a ton of work. Everyone is out of sync, and things are super static/telegraphed. The beginning of last season had a ton of movement and motion, this year everyone's just kind of standing still (including on the entries).

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that Nashville dropped Sherwood and paid 6.5 million more for Stamkos to be a downgrade at ES :laugh:

Last edited:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Brannstrom’s been very good but he’s playing very limited minutes. Was under 12 minutes against the Panthers and was just over 14 minutes tonight. Low man in both games. Very limited sample size but the results have been good.

Will be interesting if they keep increasing his ice time and if he can handle extra responsibility.
I think he only needs to get up to 16 mins and we are OK though. He hasn't really had any practice time or adjustment time and hasn't looked out of place at all.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think he only needs to get up to 16 mins and we are OK though. He hasn't really had any practice time or adjustment time and hasn't looked out of place at all.

Temporarily, yes. The formula to success for the rest of this defensive group is having two pairings behind Hughes/Hornek that can trade off #2 duties. Brannstrom, at the very least, seems to have bought this team time until an actual upgrade can be made.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I think Brannstrom has looked good so far too but it's such a tiny sample size might want to pump the brakes a bit. I want nothing more than his continued success because he definitely adds an element our defense needs right now. But just remember Akito Hirose also looked like a lock to be an NHL player in such a small sample size as well.
Guy is ring of honour bound. QUOTE me.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Temporarily, yes. The formula to success for the rest of this defensive group is having two pairings behind Hughes/Hornek that can trade off #2 duties. Brannstrom, at the very least, seems to have bought this team time until an actual upgrade can be made.

I’d give him a sec. He’s only on his second game with the team and I thought was much better in Game 2 and bumped up to nearly 15 mins. He regularly played 17 mins+ for Ottawa so it might be there. But generally, yeah agreed he’s bought some time, and he’s basically 5th on the depth chart at the moment.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
Dominant team performance in the first half, but then they stopped playing for a bit before regaining their footing defensively in the middle of the third.

Lankinen was huge - if Silovs was in net, this could've easily turned into the Calgary game all over again in the second. Has to get the majority of starts moving forward until Demko is back, he's just in the zone. His tracking & positioning is top notch right now, and he's always in control of his movements.

Petterson took another step forward. It's not vintage form, as his powerplay work is still inexeplicably poor (he used to be our best zone entry forward, and that's gone to crap), but his unit set the tone and most consistently applied pressure when the team was dominating. Had one shift before the 2nd and 3rd goals that was really promising. Hopefully these are steps towards him getting back to what he used to be vs. stopping here. Garland + Hogs continued their fine form to start the year.

Might have something with Blueger + Sherwood. Those two have shown great chemistry so far. Danton Heinen just kind of exists as a third wheel wherever he goes in the lineup (which isn't a bad thing - if you're a streaky point getter, being net neutral when you're not scoring is a boon). Them forming an effective third line, and Garland/Petey generating chemistry in the top 6, would do a lot for the overall forward structure moving forward.

Really like Brannstrom in his limited minutes. They don't need a PK or PP guy in that 6th spot with the way the defense is constructed - it's more important that they win those soft minutes that they do get. Seeing the puck go tape to tape instead of boards and out while Hughes is on the bench is refreshing to say the least.

Powerplay still needs a ton of work. Everyone is out of sync, and things are super static/telegraphed. The beginning of last season had a ton of movement and motion, this year everyone's just kind of standing still (including on the entries).

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that Nashville dropped Sherwood and paid 6.5 million more for Stamkos to be a downgrade at ES :laugh:
I hope they try Joshua/Pettersson/Garland, and put Hoglander with Blueger and Sherwood. They would be a nightmare to play against.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I just rewatched the game after only catching parts of it, and two things really stood out:

- Garland is such a unicorn player. A player his size knowing how to use his low center of gravity to win battles and willingly going to the front of the net to take punishment every shift is so underrated. Philly looked annoyed as hell dealing with him.

- Sherwood draws so much physical attention from the other team and really does throw them off and wear them down. Every shift, a Flyers player basically went after him during or after play. Best signing of the offseason - perfect 4th liner.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No hate but he seems pretty redundant considering our forward depth.
Depth is food

Plus he’s signed at a reasonable deal next season, which is something we would need because of the OEL penalty

I hope they try Joshua/Pettersson/Garland, and put Hoglander with Blueger and Sherwood. They would be a nightmare to play against.
Nah, you don’t break what’s working

Joshua Blueger Sherwood

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
As for EP:

I don't hate him. I really want him to do well here. But like I find I feel like turning games off sometimes because of him alone. He's underperformed for 2 mill let alone 11+.

And it's the lack of effort and body language that piss me off the most.

I pull for guys like VD, Suter, Myers, etc. Cuz they work so hard every game and show up in any way they can.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Lankinen has been terrific. It feels like our goaltending could go a lot of different directions over the next 12 months but happy to have him here now.

If this level of play can be sustained for a decent sample size I think we absolutely need to think about purchasing ourselves some Demko Insurance if the price is right for say, a 2 year extension that would give us a goalie that's signed past the Demko UFA date who can at the very least be part of a platoon.

Puts Silovs into a weird spot, but only if Demko comes back healthy and can take a heavy workload, which I think we know is pretty unlikely this year. I'm also of the mindset that I would rather have Silovs get into a groove in the AHL and put up some legit numbers and work on his NHL-level weak spots before trying to bend over backwards to get him into NHL minutes..

Sherwood is not a 4th liner. He’s playing like a middle six guy at worst right now.

Sherwood was easily the best value signing this offseason along with Blueger. His ES scoring rates were absolutely fantastic last year and he has a legit shot that you don't expect from guys playing lower in the lineup.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I just rewatched the game after only catching parts of it, and two things really stood out:

- Garland is such a unicorn player. A player his size knowing how to use his low center of gravity to win battles and willingly going to the front of the net to take punishment every shift is so underrated. Philly looked annoyed as hell dealing with him.

- Sherwood draws so much physical attention from the other team and really does throw them off and wear them down. Every shift, a Flyers player basically went after him during or after play. Best signing of the offseason - perfect 4th liner.
I absolutely love that we have multiple players like this that can agitate the other team. Garland and Hog definitely agitate. Sherwood is a combo of a shit disturber but also can get the opponent's attention by throwing a big hit. Once Joshua is back it should be even more fun.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad