Post-Game Talk: GM05 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Philadelphia Flyers | 3-0 (Hoglander, Boeser, & Sherwood) | Tyler Myers 1000 Game Club Success

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think Brannstrom has looked good so far too but it's such a tiny sample size might want to pump the brakes a bit. I want nothing more than his continued success because he definitely adds an element our defense needs right now. But just remember Akito Hirose also looked like a lock to be an NHL player in such a small sample size as well.

Brannstrom has played a lot of minutes in the NHL and has been above water for the past 3 seasons on a pretty bad team. Hirose could not do that.

He's apparently prone to some brain farts, which I'm sure we'll see at some point, but he can clearly move the puck.

The Canucks looked weak AF on the left side heading into the season. Suddenly, not so much.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
What does this mean? Do females not have the balls to pull off this? Just throwing thought bombs out there
Is to of the when cause

Ok, so this season Canucks are Horse sized Duck. They mystery continues.

Thought the Flyers had enough grade A chances where the game could have been even, but they shanked wide open chances, but also Lankinen seemed always to be in the right place, and forced them to be perfect, which of course they weren't. As others have pointed out, he was excellent in this game.

Felt the team D improved as the game went on (other than the odd breakdown) and the Canucks were smothering plays, particularly in the defensive end and on the PK. They have a sound strategy, that seems to benefit well with better puck movement, so as a fan, I'm pleased by that.

Realizing the tendency to be critical of players is a bit hair triggered and all these new players do have a level of quality to their games, but it may just take time to find that chemistry that makes the team better than the sum of it's parts. There's definitely something there with Sprong (for example), and as unthreatening as Heinen as been to date, he's not hindered Blueger or Sutter or Sherwood or whatever line he's played on.

Hogs and Garland look comfortable playing anywhere and when Joshua returns to the lineup, there's a number of good options available to improve the top 9. Looks like Virtanen fits in well with Miller and Boeser, as his speed on the forecheck adds an excellent dimension to that line.

I'm just so pleased to follow a team, that as a minimum is reasonably well run. Feels good not to be handicapped by management. Like. So good.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I honestly don't know what Heinen does out there. He is invisible on every shift.

The way you put it reminds me of Conan O'Brien's bit, where he questioned what exactly his associate producer Jordan Schlansky does. The latter said something like "well when I work at my highest capacity you should barely notice me", and O'Brien's bewildered response was "so...if you're not working I don't notice you, and if you are working I don't notice you then...what do I need you for"
:laugh:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Looks like the team is slowly gelling and improving their play which isn't a surprise considering how many new faces there are.

Good to hear Petey and Brannstrom playing well, hoping they can keep it up.

Also Garland has probably been consistently our best player so far (who would've thought)

Reactions: Chiripa20 and quat

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Brannstrom’s been very good but he’s playing very limited minutes. Was under 12 minutes against the Panthers and was just over 14 minutes tonight. Low man in both games. Very limited sample size but the results have been good.

Will be interesting if they keep increasing his ice time and if he can handle extra responsibility.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'll never understand the rationale behind signing guys like Sprong and Heinen. Sadly, it's a bit indictment that they apparently have nobody in Abbotsford who can step up and fulfill those depth roles in the lineup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Flyers looked dead on their skates. After coming in off a tough road-trip, they didn't have the benefit of a day-off to re-charge the batteries.

Even at that, if they'd hit the net on half the wide-open chances they had, this game could have produced a different result.

Brannstrom with Desharnais looks like a pairing that could work for the Canucks. You can see that Brannstrom is focused on playing it safe out there.....but you'd like to see him use a bit more of his natural skating ability to lug the puck out of the zone.

Reactions: quat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Strong team effort, looked like a game from the first half of last season. 3-0 with shots 26-10 at the mid-point of the game. Last 10 minutes of the 2nd were a bit wonky and Lankinen had to make some good saves and they had some big misses but this was overall a solid performance.

Biggest concern is obviously the health of Miller and Hughes. Can't afford to have either hurt. Based on everything we've seen/heard I'm guessing it's a ribs issue with Miller.

Pettersson had his best shift in 40 games from 13:00 - 12:00 of the 2nd. And he scored an ES point! But also had a lot of out-of-sync play and iffy shifts, too. But this recent string of 5/10 performances is a big step up on the 40 straight 1/10 performances.

Blueger and Sherwood were great. Both are on absolute bargain deals with term.

Thought Aman had a quietly very solid game, did a lot of quality gruntwork.

Heinen, again, is underwhelming but reliable.

Thought Desharnais was really good today, easily his best performance. More minutes for that pair tonight and they were very effective.

Myers had a really strong game for #1000. Was nice to see Boeser put him through the handshake line first after the goal.

Lankinen has been terrific. It feels like our goaltending could go a lot of different directions over the next 12 months but happy to have him here now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Brannstrom has looked good so far too but it's such a tiny sample size might want to pump the brakes a bit. I want nothing more than his continued success because he definitely adds an element our defense needs right now. But just remember Akito Hirose also looked like a lock to be an NHL player in such a small sample size as well.
To be fair, brannstrom has 268 regular season games under his belt...

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
The Canucks have a few players that can accept a heavy workload and play plus plus minutes since they are healthy.

Given this early season OP, I like that they ate cherry picking "learning lesson" opportunities to get Brannstrom and Dprong onto the ice in more optimal situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad