Pre-Game Talk: GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers | Thurs. Oct 17th | 4pm PST | SNP | I Am Not Entertained

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Start of season..

“We have the best forward depth in the NHL!”

“Podz couldn’t even crack our lineup last season and he’s in the Oilers lineup, speaks volumes to our superior depth”

“No more guys like Mikheyev & Lafferty in our top 6”

“We’ll be amongst the highest scoring teams in the NHL”

What happened..

AHLer Bains on first line
AHLer Raty as 3C
Sprong scrated
Desharnais scratched for ECHLer
Tocchet benching players, calling out team
Panic mode setting in

Raty has been far from the problem with this team, I actually think he's been good in the 3rd line center role and that Hoglander-Raty-Garland line has been controlling play very heavily.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if this was a one game message/wakeup call/watch the game from the pressbox and see other players' habits sort of thing. I wouldn't be shocked if he was back in next game.

I was more surprised they sat Desharnais for two in a row.

Desharnais has been exactly as expected. I'm shocked they gave him a multi year contract. I remember being excited every time he was on the ice because it meant Bouchard/Ekholm were not, and we would most likely get a good scoring chance.

He's a very slow, lumbering #6 with size and nothing more. Handles the puck like he's allergic to it. Feels like a Benning signing except he costs about half as much as Ol Jet Black would have signed him for.

Perhaps he would play better with a PMD, so try him with Brannstrom. I can't recall if he was paired with Broberg during the playoffs or not.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Really hope the third pairing is Brannstrom-Desharnais

Desharnais looked good in the pre season playing with Wolanin against a full Edmonton squad, so maybe he needs a puck mover on the ice with him to focus on the breakouts.

This is what I prefer as well. Forbort has been better since game 01 but it’s not like his play is making a meaningful difference.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
It's early, but with the poor start, subsequent games will feel more and more like must-wins. We've seen from past seasons that starting the first 10 games below .500 is a difficult record to come back from

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Man a lot of players who haven't found a role yet. Even our top guys looks rusty

Debrusk gets pulled away from Pettersson because Heinen and Bains are not good enough when pressing for goals. Pettersson much better last game still hasn't produced offense

Suter Heinen not sure of who what where when. Same can be said for Raty and Bains

Sprong?? why did we sign this guy again......just spot him 4th line and PP2 and get on with it. It's pretty much been where he's had his success. If he's flying you can move him up. In the run of 5v5 play he just messes up Miller Pettersson and having the puck to make things happen.

Last year we could count on the 3rd line to get us a match up issue for other teams. They still have been good but not the same when you rob Hoglander from the top6 for worse players and Raty is getting 9 minutes.

Bottom 4 defense and goaltending is as bad as almost anyone

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The third pair has been a disaster and I’m glad management isn’t waiting till the end of the road trip to address it.

I find it a bit intriguing Desharnais played somewhat well alongside Kulak, who is a bit more of a puck-mover. Maybe you can find some chemistry there on the bottom pair. Brannstrom can also apparently play the right-side so you could try pairing him with Forbort.

Reactions: ephmrl

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The third pair has been a disaster and I’m glad management isn’t waiting till the end of the road trip to address it.

The question will be if they're waiving Juulsen (I can't imagine they'd waive Desharnais or Forbort this soon after signing them) or if this means that Tyler Myers is actually going to be out of the lineup for a bit.

Reactions: ephmrl

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The question will be if they're waiving Juulsen (I can't imagine they'd waive Desharnais or Forbort this soon after signing them) or if this means that Tyler Myers is actually going to be out of the lineup for a bit.
I hope that it is either Raty or Bains.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I figure they’ll send down one of Bains and Raty since they are running with 14 forwards right now.

Reactions: TruGr1t and MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I figure they’ll send down one of Bains and Raty since they are running with 14 forwards right now.

I immediately thought Bains will go back down, they seem somewhat committed to continuing this Raty experiment until Joshua is back.

Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
brannstrom seems a little desperate this early but i guess management have seen enough of juulsen or forbort or desharnais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad