Post-Game Talk: GM 7 | Habs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
This kind of reminds me of the Avs collapse of 14/15. Went from 114p/+30 to 82p/-24 in a single season with the same personnel.

14/15 Avs were one of the most unsustainable teams ever. Canucks stats last season suggesting we were getting a lot of luck I attributed it to Green's system but I guess it was right in predicting canucks would be a basement dweller.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
All of the casuals and everyone in the national media, apparently.

Defense improved. Hamonic will replace Tanev and Schmidt will be better than Stetcher. Rathbone and Rafferty will be awesome down in the bottom pairing.

Virtanen will get 20 goals. Toffoli barely played last season so he didnt really contribute.

I look for Roussel to bounce back.

Markstrom was overrated. Holtby only needs to regain to his level from 5 years ago. Demko is Markstroms replacement.

Yeah. This upcoming season will be an improvement!!!!

/S

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Still right on track with the timeline and trajectory of the Edmonton Oilers of a few years ago. Right now we are at the beginning of their 2017-18 season, which they started 2-5 on the way to missing the playoffs.

Unfortunately we are still a year away from firing our GM from Boston, but it's something to look forward to next January.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I really don't get the shock and outrage.

Other than the ELC's and the players that left this summer, this team was just as bad as this last year. Maybe worse because Horvat stunk last year.

We simply have a bad, overpaid, old roster with way too much wasted cap.

This is what 30 million wasted cap dollars looks when you don't have your two rookie superstars playing like they're worth 10 mil each and you don't have your Vezina goalie in net, who was also worth 10 mil despite making 3.6.

I’d like to point this out - for all the people saying we don’t know how the team would have done down the stretch last year when covid hit - this team is basically what we had left:

markstrom was out; tanev got injured in the last game and then I believe toffoli was out also lol
This

Well if you watched last season (large sample size) you would be able to determine this team was not taking a step forward by making their team worse and losing a goalie who masked every single defensive issue.
This

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well.

For a few moments, the game felt like it was in reach. Pettersson finally scoring was a euphoric moment, and Hoglander scoring a brilliant goal moments later was titillating. But then...then it all fell apart.

There’s a lot to dissect here. Not a lot of it very pleasant. In my opinion, this team looks really uninspired and lazy. The defensive breakdowns are symptomatic of a major issue in both the players’ decision making, and the coaching systems in play.

Travis Green (and Nolan Baumgartner) really sewered this one tonight when the Canucks had momentarily put it back in reach. The brain dead challenge to the clearly on side play was bad. And the defensive pinches and turnovers and “system” is just awful. It’s not enough to say the favoured pariahs like Myers are to blame. Edler, Schmidt, and Hughes (our competent defenders) are falling victim to the same stuff.

The forward deployment is baffling. Hoglander looks like the guy who gives a damn the most out there, and he got the second lowest ice time among forwards second only to MacEwen. I mean...what? What did Virtanen and Roussel bring that he didn’t? I know Beagle and Sutter have PK roles, so whatever, but it blows my mind that the one forward who consistently seems to be working his bag off (and who has some skill) barely sees the ice.

The goaltending has been low on the list of issues here, but the second goal to Perry is one Holtby has to have. Inexcusable. But even if you take that out, it’s still 4-2, with innumerable turnovers.

The team looks like it has quit on the coach. Travis Green looks like he has no clue what to do. He started expressing frustration to the media after the 7-3 game - said the team was immature, forgot how to play hard to win, all the good sound bites - and you blow two coach’s challenges in back to back games? And your systems and deployment are this bad? Were you really this reliant on the Canucks getting stellar goaltending?

So that’s one problem. IMO, the Canucks look like a team that’s quit on their coach.

But of course, it’s bigger than that.

I don’t know how - if you’re Aquilini - you look at the team that’s been assembled, and the results, and how the guys we allowed to walk are performing for their new teams, and don’t feel furious. Green is being exposed as a coach that might be in over his head right now - but I don’t think there’s a coach out there who can really make this roster a contender. Make them competitive, sure. Make them give an honest effort night in and night out, make them play a smart two way game, absolutely. But is there a coach that can make this a contender, which is what Benning billed this team as? I have a hard time believing so.

Which brings us to Benning. The cap and term he gave to Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Myers (and Baertschi and Ferland) has hurt this team in a huge way. One, it played a part in costing us Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli. But two, it’s going to handcuff us now from fixing our roster.

I have a hard time picturing a team out there that would be willing to take any of his contracts on period, never mind without commanding a steep price for it. They’re all negative value assets. Even if Benning gets fired, there’s no looking at even beginning to undo those contracts until this season ends and - mercifully - a few of them come due (Sutter, Baertschi).

But the noise is going to get louder here. The roster Benning has assembled isn’t good enough. Green’s coaching isn’t good enough. At what point does a hammer or two fall, here? The expectations were high from fans and ownership after a tremendously successful 50th season. To watch key pieces walk away, a lesser team emerge, and get their asses kicked in the first 10-15% of their season is tough for anyone to swallow.

I think Green and Benning’s seats might just be getting a little hot. I think that on some level, some or all of the players are sending a message about some of the personnel choices that were made regarding “Dad Tanev”, and the well regarded Marky and Tofu.

Tick tock.

I also want to point out that we give Pearson too much of a pass for his contract for what he brings only because benning traded a worse contract in guds for him.

Pearson while not the biggest issue on the team is still an issue.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is where you find out how good your leadership is within the room.

You're paying guys like Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Roussel to be a voice within the locker room and help out Horvat.

I thought Bo played with a lot of grit and looked like he was there, but it's a matter of getting the whole group re-focused and back to their game.

Those guys are just totally expired and happy to be getting a paycheque. I doubt they care much in the room.

Sutter should be off playing with SC Bern. Roussel should be pondering retirement. Beagle and Eriksson should be retired. Edler should be playing bottom pairing minutes.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Greens extension has been placed on hold. Him and his coaching staff have been coaching with their heads up their asses.

Defensive play has been shit, the defense has been horrible and I’ve been barking about Baumgartner for years asking why he hasn’t been shown the door. Brown is way beyond expiry at this point, he brings Jack shit and anything resembling 2011 is gone.

Benning leash is getting shorter and tighter by every lose. Green’ seat has been turned up quite a bit.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Either I'm a complete moron or I simply disagree with you. Choice is yours.

I think you're being too optimistic about your team, which is understandable.

No one on here wants the Canucks to suck. I'd rather be eating crow about Benning and seeing the team become a playoff contender.

But you can't let your enthusiasm or optimism blind you to the issues that are plaguing to this team.

I haven't really seen you manage to articulate an argument as to why this team is going to be good, just arguing with other folks for being "bad fans."

Reactions: Waterbuf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
All of the casuals and everyone in the national media, apparently.

Which if they fail, will reflect even worse on the management. The main saving grace is there won’t be f*cking morons in the seats chanting “Fire Benning!” like in 2014.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's becoming increasingly hard to get worked up about what happens in this gimmicky season.

Pettersson bumped his slump; Hoglander got his second.....as for the rest, whatever. They might finish ahead of Ottawa, but this season is all about finally ridding themselves of some of their anvil contracts; getting another high draft pick; and playing the kids to death to see what they have.

A coaching change is probable...at least at the end of the season. And the owner needs to seriously look at his hockey ops department, but sadly that probably won't happen.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What team was I watching in 2020 then?

The same one that is now in 2021 - a team that lives and dies on it's few stars, has terrible depth that never chips in offensively and is bad defensively, a defense that is laughable and now missing a goaltender to mask everything about it.

Are we seriously forgetting the Canucks got outshot in just about every single game last year? What does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad