Post-Game Talk: GM 7 | Habs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
You maybe start getting concerned that Hughes and Pettersson may eventually hold off on any extentions and request trades if this frustration continues. Benning has done f*** all to better the team while they been here.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
EscpgW5UUAAinLL

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
This is where you find out how good your leadership is within the room.

You're paying guys like Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Roussel to be a voice within the locker room and help out Horvat.

I thought Bo played with a lot of grit and looked like he was there, but it's a matter of getting the whole group re-focused and back to their game.

Reactions: CanuckCity

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Let me put this in perspective a bit.

Yes it’s early. But at this point the flames have 4 games in hand. Let’s give them 5 points for those 4 games which seems reasonable. The Canucks after 7 are then 7 points behind. For the remaining 49 games the Canucks need to gather 8 more points than the flames. So what are the flames going to do with those potential 98 points?

Last year in what was arguably a down year they had 0.564 pt%. So let’s say they match that....tack on another 55 points. The Canucks need 63 then in the final 49 to pass the flames. A 105 point pace in a normal 82 game schedule. That’s how quick a bad start can get to the point of not being able to recover from.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Who thought the Canucks were taking a step forward this year? Honestly, if the Canucks are going to suck this season, then so be it. Season’s wack, anyways.

You don't think the Canucks should be taking a step forward after making the playoffs following 4 straight bottom-10 seasons?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks are still in this defensive funk by game #20, they'll need a coaching change. When players are making the same mistakes over and over again, you have to start looking behind the bench.

Myers is off to a nightmarish start to the season. Lost coverage on the first goal, and played the two on one about as bad as you can play it on the second. Everybody will blame Juolevi for that goal, but he did hustle to get back and actually got a stick on the puck carrier. But Myers on his hands and knees fishing for nickels.

If Benning is following Myers play so far early in this season, he must be queasy. Another three years of this?

Reactions: Rene Saari

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Who thought the Canucks were taking a step forward this year? Honestly, if the Canucks are going to suck this season, then so be it. Season’s wack, anyways.
giphy.gif

Still do. I don't base my opinions on such small sample sizes. Call me crazy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This is where you find out how good your leadership is within the room.

You're paying guys like Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Roussel to be a voice within the locker room and help out Horvat.

I thought Bo played with a lot of grit and looked like he was there, but it's a matter of getting the whole group re-focused and back to their game.

We already know the answers to this.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was simply a bad loss as opposed to a catastrophic loss.

the huge number of problems has narrowed down somewhat to an inability to play defence.

baby steps.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ugly with a capital UG. I mean, better effort than the last game (because duh, it would be hard not to be) but still couldn't measure up in the end. Random thoughts:

--Hoglander invisible until the 2nd, when Green suddenly remembers he was good playing with good players; immediately scores. This really, really, really shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I really with bonehead lineup decisions like that weren't so utterly predictable.

--Pettersson finally lucks out and gets a goal...really hope that gets him out of his funk.

--What will finally get this bunch to stop making turnovers every damn play?

--Behold the difference between adequate goaltending and what Markstrom gave us for the last two years. We'll be beholding it for a while yet...

--Lost in the hype and bickering around the Pettersson funk is the Hughes being lost on the defensive side of the puck funk.

--Getting sick of seeing players who should know better making terrible turnovers.

--Corey Perry scores in his first game with the Habs, replacing Armia. Toffoli got an assist. Because of course.

3kk4zo.png

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well.

For a few moments, the game felt like it was in reach. Pettersson finally scoring was a euphoric moment, and Hoglander scoring a brilliant goal moments later was titillating. But then...then it all fell apart.

There’s a lot to dissect here. Not a lot of it very pleasant. In my opinion, this team looks really uninspired and lazy. The defensive breakdowns are symptomatic of a major issue in both the players’ decision making, and the coaching systems in play.

Travis Green (and Nolan Baumgartner) really sewered this one tonight when the Canucks had momentarily put it back in reach. The brain dead challenge to the clearly on side play was bad. And the defensive pinches and turnovers and “system” is just awful. It’s not enough to say the favoured pariahs like Myers are to blame. Edler, Schmidt, and Hughes (our competent defenders) are falling victim to the same stuff.

The forward deployment is baffling. Hoglander looks like the guy who gives a damn the most out there, and he got the second lowest ice time among forwards second only to MacEwen. I mean...what? What did Virtanen and Roussel bring that he didn’t? I know Beagle and Sutter have PK roles, so whatever, but it blows my mind that the one forward who consistently seems to be working his bag off (and who has some skill) barely sees the ice.

The goaltending has been low on the list of issues here, but the second goal to Perry is one Holtby has to have. Inexcusable. But even if you take that out, it’s still 4-2, with innumerable turnovers.

The team looks like it has quit on the coach. Travis Green looks like he has no clue what to do. He started expressing frustration to the media after the 7-3 game - said the team was immature, forgot how to play hard to win, all the good sound bites - and you blow two coach’s challenges in back to back games? And your systems and deployment are this bad? Were you really this reliant on the Canucks getting stellar goaltending?

So that’s one problem. IMO, the Canucks look like a team that’s quit on their coach.

But of course, it’s bigger than that.

I don’t know how - if you’re Aquilini - you look at the team that’s been assembled, and the results, and how the guys we allowed to walk are performing for their new teams, and don’t feel furious. Green is being exposed as a coach that might be in over his head right now - but I don’t think there’s a coach out there who can really make this roster a contender. Make them competitive, sure. Make them give an honest effort night in and night out, make them play a smart two way game, absolutely. But is there a coach that can make this a contender, which is what Benning billed this team as? I have a hard time believing so.

Which brings us to Benning. The cap and term he gave to Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Myers (and Baertschi and Ferland) has hurt this team in a huge way. One, it played a part in costing us Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli. But two, it’s going to handcuff us now from fixing our roster.

I have a hard time picturing a team out there that would be willing to take any of his contracts on period, never mind without commanding a steep price for it. They’re all negative value assets. Even if Benning gets fired, there’s no looking at even beginning to undo those contracts until this season ends and - mercifully - a few of them come due (Sutter, Baertschi).

But the noise is going to get louder here. The roster Benning has assembled isn’t good enough. Green’s coaching isn’t good enough. At what point does a hammer or two fall, here? The expectations were high from fans and ownership after a tremendously successful 50th season. To watch key pieces walk away, a lesser team emerge, and get their asses kicked in the first 10-15% of their season is tough for anyone to swallow.

I think Green and Benning’s seats might just be getting a little hot. I think that on some level, some or all of the players are sending a message about some of the personnel choices that were made regarding “Dad Tanev”, and the well regarded Marky and Tofu.

Tick tock.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Well if you watched last season (large sample size) you would be able to determine this team was not taking a step forward by making their team worse and losing a goalie who masked every single defensive issue.
Either I'm a complete moron or I simply disagree with you. Choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad