Post-Game Talk: [GM 50] Canucks lose to Devils in OT| 4-5 | Kuzmenko, Schenn, Lazar, Di Giuseppe

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it's fair to wonder at his point who gets sent back to Abbotsford if/when Demko returns.

They're both in impossible situations, but of late Delia seems to have been better.

There shouldn't be any discussion at this point - Delia has been better and has earned the backup job.

Can't imagine anyone grabs Martin off waivers with one year left on a one-way but if he is picked up then so be it, you move on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There shouldn't be any discussion at this point - Delia has been better and has earned the backup job.

Can't imagine anyone grabs Martin off waivers with one year left on a one-way but if he is picked up then so be it, you move on.

Yup.

Neither is great but this hasn’t been close.

Martin went 0-7 .839 in January which is possibly the worst statistical month I’ve seen from an NHL goalie this century. Delia went 4-2 .887 behind the same team.

Martin looked good last year and backing up to start this year but his play has completely collapsed since Demko’s injury - his numbers are horrific and the eye test matches the numbers.

.839. Jesus.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Loving the tank line up lol
The wingers that aren’t playing with Pettersson are not being put in positions where it will be easy to succeed.

Those guys should be spot duty centers when the team is ravaged with injuries.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
WHEN: February 6th, 4:30PM PST
WHERE: Prudential Center, Newark, NJ, USA
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Alternative Ties include:

Out With the Bo, In With the Beau
No More Bo

Canucks Line-Up:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Beauvillier
Joshua-Miller-Garland
Podkolzin-Dries-Boeser
DiGiuseppe-Aman-Lazar

Hughes-Bear
OEL-Schenn
Stillman-Myers

Delia

Devils Line-Up:

TBD
6 mill dollar man playing on the 3rd line, no one is going to want him.This line up looks like tossed salad..

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
while the Canucks have been floundering in the wilderness for close to a decade, the Devils have done a full tear-down and rebuild, emerging as one of the best young clubs in the Eastern Conference.

I think the Canucks dismal PK could be the difference-maker in this one. Hopefully 'the tank' rolls un unabated.
Well you have to also point to a bunch of luck.

2011 NJ moved up to 4th
2017 won the lottery
2019 won the lottery
2022 got the 2nd pick.

They have been ridiculously lucky. Envious.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I think it's fair to wonder at his point who gets sent back to Abbotsford if/when Demko returns.

They're both in impossible situations, but of late Delia seems to have been better.
Delia is clearly the much better goalie. When he starts I worry that he'll play well enough to ruin the tank.

When Martin starts, I do a fist pump because I know he'll let in 3 or 4 goals miminum.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In terms of the goaltending discussion, Delia is on a one-way with the exact same league minimum salary as Martin so the team doesn’t save any money by sending down one guy over the other.

So it will be interesting to see if they keep the (far) higher-performing player or the tank commander.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
In terms of the goaltending discussion, Delia is on a one-way with the exact same league minimum salary as Martin so the team doesn’t save any money by sending down one guy over the other.

So it will be interesting to see if they keep the (far) higher-performing player or the tank commander.

flip side: who do you send back to carry playoff bound Abbottsford down the stretch and who do you keep around on the bench for a team that is done for the year to play every 4th game?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The Devils seem to have the Canucks number so I’ll go out on a limb and predict a loss. To complete the picture, Horvat will score in an NYI win to gin up the Bolievers.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
flip side: who do you send back to carry playoff bound Abbottsford down the stretch and who do you keep around on the bench for a team that is done for the year to play every 4th game?
Just to answer your question, that sounds like Spencer Martin should be going down and the vet Delia is staying up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The contract part is what makes things interesting to me with Martin having one year left.

I think ideally you send Martin down and he gets claimed and you just turn around and extend Delia for one year (basically giving him Martin's contract). Then you sign another goalie to compete with Delia for the backup spot next year.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

2011 NJ moved up to 4th
2017 won the lottery
2019 won the lottery
2022 got the 2nd pick.

What's crazy is they still have Luke Hughes + Nemec waiting in the wings. They have an embarrassment of riches - I thought Nemec should've gone #1 overall last season. Might sound crazy, but there is a legitimate chance that they have 3 legit #1 caliber defencemen within the next 2-3 years assuming Hamilton does not regress (Still only 29 years old).

I think we'll lose this game very comfortably, the talent difference is just too much to make up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully the Canucks dont get obliterated on face offs..I believe that without Bo, the Canucks FO % is around 45%.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I think Silovs is going to be the guy no matter who goes down.

The contract part is what makes things interesting to me with Martin having one year left.

I think ideally you send Martin down and he gets claimed and you just turn around and extend Delia for one year (basically giving him Martin's contract). Then you sign another goalie to compete with Delia for the backup spot next year.

I don’t think there is any chance Martin gets claimed. He’s been absolutely horrific the past few months. His play since Demko got hurt might be the worst I’ve ever seen from a Canuck goalie.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Hopefully the Canucks dont get obliterated on face offs..I believe that without Bo, the Canucks FO % is around 45%.
Honestly, I'm not sure how much that will even be a factor...Canucks barely do anything with possession they have...maybe losing more faceoffs will force them to have to work that much harder to regain possession of pucks. The other potential positive is that its going to force more faceoff work pushed onto Petey, which he really needs to improve on.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think Silovs is going to be the guy no matter who goes down.

I don’t think there is any chance Martin gets claimed. He’s been absolutely horrific the past few months. His play since Demko got hurt might be the worst I’ve ever seen from a Canuck goalie.
(way smaller sample size but.) Martin Brochu

• Haha
Reactions: sting101

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

2011 NJ moved up to 4th
2017 won the lottery
2019 won the lottery
2022 got the 2nd pick.

Edmonton too, but I mean...even with a generational talent...well...eh?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Agreed, other than teams get weird with goalies sometimes and like to have that warm body for insurance. But there's like a 95% chance he gets through.

(To be fair I would have put Lane Pederson at 90% so what do I know)

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad